New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peep sight alternative
 Login/Join

Picture of marquezlc
posted
I can't use a peep sight I am not sure if my glasses are the issue or just can't seem to focus on a pin. Either way I can't find a good alternative. I am wondering if by practicing a good solid anchor position one can shoot accurately without a peep. I seem to be doing ok but I have to close my eyes for a second and make sure my anchor is the same every shot. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Posts: 50 | Location: Northern NM | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are several options. The one that comes to mind first is kind of "old school" but it still works. Install a kisser button on your string. Once you get it dialed in, serve it onto the string.

Or you could use something like the Peep Eliminator (http://www.peepeliminator.com/). I've known guys that have installed Red Dot sights on their bows with good result as well.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First of all, have you checked what eye is your dominant eye?
If you shoot right handed and is left eye dominant, it can cause a problem.

I am using a peep now, but I have been shooting bows without a peep or a kisser for 20 years before I started to use a peep on my new bow that I got last year.

With enough practice you manage fine without a peep or a kisser, but it is very important that you have an anchor point that is very quick, easy and consistent to find.

A kisser is very good to find your anchor point fast.

I think many using a peep would still benefit a lot by using a kisser as well.

A red dot bow sight as Shof mentions together with a kisser is a very good alternative if you are left eye dominant and don't want to shoot left handed.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a peep with a built in corrective lens, works great and I don't have to wear my glasses. I have also found the green and yellow fiber optic pins work better in low light for me.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you orient your bow vertically rather than angled, DAS' SRH sight is quick and useful. It is made in three different sizes, left-handed and right-handed, plain outline and florescent.

I have available a left-handed florescent "B" size were you interested. It, and the remainder of my archery equipment are being sold. I have severe MCTD and can no longer practice archery/bowhunting.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1501 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
There is always the instinctive method which works on compounds as well as recurves and longbows.

Just takes a lot of practice. It allows you to shoot faster and in lower light but makes it tough to correct a miss on your second arrow, if the critter is still there.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two suggestions to think about -- dont' know if they'll help. One, go with the largest peep you can find and two, make sure that you are not losing a portion, or even all, of the aperature to string twist. I've had that problem and had to either torque the string before I drew or have the peep replaced in the string.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, yeah. You can drill out a peep if you can't find one big enough to suit you.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
There's a new titanium peep on the market with large diameters.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/...hlight=titanium+peep

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of marquezlc
posted Hide Post
Thank You all for the advice. I am going to try a new larger peep that is properly installed before anything.

Posts: 50 | Location: Northern NM | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote