Tools

My new bow.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here's a pic of the 08 Bowtech General I just got last week-

I had these installed Monday-
QAD Hunter rest.
PSE 5 pin sight/light;It's actually made by Truglo.
Trufire Buckle release.
PSE carbon arrows.

My initial impression of this rig in a word- WOW!
It draws very smoothly.The weight builds up very quickly but I'm already accustomed to it.At first I was a little concerned about that but it's really no big deal.I think one of it's greatest attributes is how quiet it shoots.Much quieter than anything else I'm familiar with outside of recurves/longbows.I believe this is very important when shooting at game as skittish as whitetails.Just that much less chance they'll jump the string/duck the arrow.Some of the reviews I've read say it's not as fast as some but it's plenty fast enough.The pins are set at 15 yd intervals.It shoots flat enough that a few yards distance errors should not be a problem if you pick one pin to high or low.At least not out to 45 yds or so.The QAD rest works like a charm.Here again some reviews said it didn't drop away fast enough but I've not experienced that.The use of a release is something entirely new to me.A little weird at first but I'm getting use to it.These last few day's have been the first I've shot a compound in years.I haven't shot my trad bow since last summer.I can hardly believe how easy it is to shoot this bow well.It's very forgiving.I only have maybe 60-70 shots through it so far but already I can shoot it well out to 45 yds.Beyond that my accuracy was starting to fall off a bit but I was getting a little tired by that point and the sun was bearing down so I knocked off.Anyway I thought I'd just share my early impression with you all.If your in the market for a new bow I'd urge you to try this one if you can.It looks like Bowtech has dropped it for 09.Big mistake IMO.It's a VERY sweet shootin bow!!!!

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rig for sure.

What weight arrows are you going with? If you don't mind dropping a little speed the heavier weight arrows will help to quieten it down even more, and also give you some added punch when they arrive.

I am looking hard at the new Admiral myself. I shot one of the standard Monsters week before last and it sort of left me a little let down. Not that it isn't a good bow, just I was hoping that it would shove my arrows a bit faster than it actually did. Granted I had it backed down to 65# but had hoped that it would give low to mid 280's, but best it would do @ 65# was 269fps. Granted this isn't a slouch, but the Tomkat I am shooting at 67# pushed them out at 245fps, so I just couldn't see dropping that kind of cash for the extra 25fps.

With the Admiral, I doubt that I will get there either, but based upon a none biased talk i had with someone who definately knows bows, I feel it will serve my purpose equally as well and I will be able to utilize the full power of it. With the Monster, 68# was all I could reliably draw and easily let down, and 70, was out of the question.

Anyway hope your's turns out to be all you want it to be. I do have to agree that Bowtech has put out some fine equipment amidst all of the negativity.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
That looks like a sweet setup.

Remember the LDP'S...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a half dozen PSE that weigh 342gr with a 100gr pt.I have some Cabela SST shafts from another bow that weigh about 100grs more with the same 100gr pts.Both fly beautifully but obviously the PSE's shoot flatter.I haven't tried either with broad heads yet.All I have (Magnus) weigh 125grs but I will be sticking with Magnus heads.Whichever shaft shoots best with BH's are the ones I'll hunt with.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Carbon Express Maxima Hunter arrows with 125gr Slick Tricks works great out of my Bowtech Tribute and Allegiance total arrow weight is 450gr

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW that thing makes my Browning look like a Stone Aged weapon.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
That's a nice setup!

I also prescribe to the recommendation of using a total arrow weight heavier than 400grs.

Don't get suckered into thinking that 100gr heads are what you need to be shooting.

Graphs, charts and shop recommendations aside, see which head weight shoots better for you yourself. Especially at distances 40yds and further, head weight can really make a difference in accuracy. On broadheads this is especially true and that includes mechanicals.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not that I think I need 100gr heads it's just that either arrow will balance much better with them.The PSE shafts are pretty light for that much weight up front.The others have the old style outserts that weigh quite a bit more than inserts.Adding another 125grs onto that really kill's the trajectory.Even with 100gr points they drop much more than the PSE arrows.At only 15yds they hit about 6" lower.The PSE arrow chart shows my arrows are right on the cusp with the next stiffer spine for my arrow length/bow poundage so I think I'll try those as well.The added weight of that size should balance nicely with 125gr heads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where is the bow? I see a blue boat.

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by African Hunters Quest:

That's my thought too! I'm looking at a picture of a blue kayak...

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's a transformer. It becomes what it needs to be for any situation!

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by African Hunters Quest:

and a thumb! Big Grin

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL Not sure what happened there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that one of those new-fangled crossbows, or crossboats???

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of those old fangled wish I'd never sold my SOT regrets.