THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    U have to try these ( amazing results )

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

U have to try these ( amazing results )
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys,
I tried a new product and had some really amazing results. A friend of mine told me about these and that I had to try them.
I practice and hunt with Fixed blade broadheads only. I use the Montec 100 grain heads.
This product has improved my groups at 30 yds by 75%. I shoot at a 2" black dot on my styrofoam target. Prior to using these I was within the 2" group almost all the time, but had good consistent groups within 3" of center. Pretty good. Once I used these my groups shrank to always within the 2" circle and had to be careful of stacking arrows on top of one another.
They also improved penetration against my other set up by a depth of 5" consistently into a 1lb bead foam target.
I shoot a Mahtews drenalin at 60lb with a CX Terminator lite hunter arrow in 6075 at 28" with a 100 grain Montec fixed blade broadhead and 2" Blazer vanes.
The added speed I got with these also now allows me to shoot with 1 pin to 30 yds only experiecing only 3" of drop from 20-30 yds.
The other benefit to these is the come with their own Broadhead fletchings eliminating the need to have your arrows fletched at the time you purchase them.
I will tell you I thought these were a gimick when I first saw them but after using them they are unbelievable.
They come with many different options for fletchings and I have found that the soft fletchings for broadheads they have work extemley well for all types of heads whether it be Fixed blade, mechanical, or field points.
These are just getting ready to hit the market ( patented in 2007 )and I can see once they get out there they are going to revolutinize the archery market.
Go to www.treeapron.com and click on the link for the Twister nock and also watch the video. They come lighted and unlighted and I found no difference in flight between the two. Really a quality product IMO and worth it to post here for you all to check out. Really cool !!!

Doug Klunder

Posts: 163 | Location: United States | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting! Another argument for the drop away rest however! I wonder how it compares with the circular (FOB) vanes?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Very interesting! Another argument for the drop away rest however! I wonder how it compares with the circular (FOB) vanes?
Peter.

While I might not have shot these, there is still one potential problem that I see with the Twisters that is also common with vanes and feathers; Wind Drift and vane deformation.

There is still considerable surface area of the Twister vanes (x3) for a cross wind to work on, causing the arrow to drift downwind.

It's interesting to see how much feathers and vanes flex and distort when first launched as they try to impart spin on the arrow. And the bigger the broadhead, the more deformation from the feathers/vanes attempting to get the arrow spinning; that means less stabilization in flight.

The hard plastic FOB disk has little/no distortion and gets the arrow spinning (and stabilized) much quicker. And because the FOB is only a 1/2 inch wide, uninterupted surface, there is very little surface area and one plane for a cross wind to work upon; so there's less wind drift.

Yes, using the FOBs will require a drop away rest, but companies like Quality Archery Designs (QAD) have them working so well with fine tuned designs, that there's no reason why not to use one. I'm not a speed freak, insisting that my arrows go as fast as humanly possible, but when I can use a product that holds my arrow as securely as a Whisker Bisquit Rest, yet gives me zero arrow contact upon release (thus less tuning issues) AND I pick up a slight bit of speed. I'm good with that.

I love my crazy looking FOBs. They stabilize an arrow and drift less in crosswinds than anything else I've shot. In the whitetail woods, that might not be a big deal. But out on the prairie of Wyoming chasing pronghorns or on the plains of East Cape after blesbok and springbok, wind drift REALLY becomes a concern!

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
I have shot FOB's...

They work but I prefer my 4 inch vanes.

I also have learned in Archery.

If its not broke dont try and fix it.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been hunting for 30+ years and if we all looked at the if its not broke dont fix it typically none of the advances in archery would not be there.
New technologies come out every day it seems and I as well thought thee were a gimick like alot of stuff out there. After shooting them though I can honestly say they improved my shooting and I like that alot. I just thought it would be of interest to others as I know everyone likes to improve and if these helped me maybe there is benefit for others as well.
Question for u though. What are the FOB's you refer to?

Doug Klunder

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a search on FOB vanes on this forum (or Google). They are a circular vane that replaces the traditional vane and also require a drop away rest. I have to get off my duff and try your suggestion and the FOBs.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marabou Slasher:
I have been hunting for 30+ years and if we all looked at the if its not broke dont fix it typically none of the advances in archery would not be there.
New technologies come out every day it seems and I as well thought thee were a gimick like alot of stuff out there. After shooting them though I can honestly say they improved my shooting and I like that alot. I just thought it would be of interest to others as I know everyone likes to improve and if these helped me maybe there is benefit for others as well.
Question for u though. What are the FOB's you refer to?

Like you, I too like to see new and innovative products on the market. Thanks for posting your find.

The FOBs that people are referring to are at http://www.starrflight.com/

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Marabou Slasher,

Like I said....

I have FOB's but I prefer my 4 inch vanes...

The Tribute at 80# produces satisfactory accuracy for me.

If the new knocks works, I am glad and hope you have a great hunting season.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well those spinner thingys look pretty cool to me. I shoot trad gear so don't have a drop away rest, so no good for me. I really like that they start spinning even before teh paradox begins. You can see in slow motion that the parados is nicely calmed down even before the arrow leaves the bow. I'm wondering about getting some and trying with extremely short and soft fletching. coupled with a very well tuned arrow it might be worth looking at.

the chef

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
Well those spinner thingys look pretty cool to me. I shoot trad gear so don't have a drop away rest, so no good for me. I really like that they start spinning even before teh paradox begins. You can see in slow motion that the parados is nicely calmed down even before the arrow leaves the bow. I'm wondering about getting some and trying with extremely short and soft fletching. coupled with a very well tuned arrow it might be worth looking at.

the chef

Apparently they make a model you can use with whatever fletching you like.

This thing is particularly interesting because the spin actually starts before the arrow leaves the string. I agree, with you, the effect this early initial spin appears to have on paradox in the slow motion videos is impressive.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marabou, can you explain how one uses these? Presumably you have to remove your existing nock, right? Do you also have to remove existing fletching? There seem to be many options. Which did you try?
Thanks, Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes you can get just the nock in lightes or unlighted to use with any vane configuration you have.
I actually went for the soft broadhead vanes they have. I can tell you the setup I got from them is truly awesome.
I have spoken with the gentleman who owns them. He said they work equally well with all vanes BUT with his vane configuration you will get increased speed and penetration as well as energy due to the spin rate created from the initial release.

Doug Klunder

one of us
posted Hide Post
Slasher, I got that part, but, are you using their soft broadhead vanes in addition to your regular vanes or instead of your regular vanes. I just don't want to rip off perfectly good vanes just to test this out! Also, the bit about speed and spin rate confuses me. I thought that increased spin rate eg. with helical fletching, actually slows down the arrow compared with regular fletching.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went instead of the Blazers I was shooting. I had some bare shaft laying around so I went instead of.
I will tell you once I shot them, the Blazers came off my other arrows and I am sold 100% on this new set up.
I have heard the nocks alone work awesome with whatever set up you have now. Give them a try. Give him a call I am pretty sure you can reach the owner directly through their website. He was very cordial and explained things to me in detail

Doug Klunder

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Slasher, I got that part, but, are you using their soft broadhead vanes in addition to your regular vanes or instead of your regular vanes. I just don't want to rip off perfectly good vanes just to test this out! Also, the bit about speed and spin rate confuses me. I thought that increased spin rate eg. with helical fletching, actually slows down the arrow compared with regular fletching.
Peter.

My guess would be since the initial spin keeps the arrows initial flexing down to a minimum you don't loose that energy to flex and it is converted instead to a speed increase.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really love the way the FOBs fly, but don't like how much noise they make (walk around the corner, and have a friend shoot one along with a regularly fletched shaft).

JMHO
gd