THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    What to buy to start them out the right way...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to buy to start them out the right way...
 Login/Join

<atlasmlc>
posted
I have an 8 year old who really likes to shoot a bow. So far he has only shot one of the little bity el-cheapo compounds (I'll bet it doesn't have more than about a 15 lb draw weight. Anyway, I'm thinking a new bow might be good for Xmas....Where should I look? I don't think he needs a real expensive setup, but I'm sure the quality in the cheap stuff for kids varies greatly. He does have access to places to hunt in addition to targets, so rabbits will be one of his first quarry, in addition to targets.
Thanks for any help here.....
Mike

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Take your son to a pro-shop and have them fit him into one he can grow into. The make is up to you but High Country,PSE,and a few others are what you are looking for.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<atlasmlc>
posted
Hey Rob,
Thanks for your help. Can the draw weight on these be lowered? He pulls the el cheapo really easily, but I would doubt if he can handle something in excess of 30 lbs or so.
Thanks,
Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the "smaller" bows come in different draw weight ranges. I know of several that range form 35 - ??? in draw lengths form 25 inches on up.
There are several smaller childrens bows that range from 20 pound draw weight on up. I can't tell you brands just this minute but I will update this as I look around. As Rob1SG said, take your son to a well stocked pro shop and have them fit him up and let him shot a few different bows.
Good Luck to the both of you!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
<atlasmlc>
posted
Thanks Greg.
I'll heed the advice given. Many thanks to all for supporting this board with helpful comments and questions.
Have a great day!
Mike

<migra>
posted
Browning makes a really nice youth bow. I think it's called a micro medallion but don't quote me on that. The archery shop here sells them for around $150. I'm getting my nine year old one for Christmas.

<RedFox>
posted
I bought my son a PSE Spyder for Xmas .It canbe changed from 15 to 40 lbs as he grows. Draw length is adjustable to. I can't wait for Xmas to see his face.Good luck on your purchase on whatever you buy. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of mbrook
posted Hide Post
Just a few years ago there were hardly any youth bows worth considering which made no sense if you are trying to bring in new shooters. Now just about every manufacturer makes a good short draw length bow. I was in a shop the other day and he was showing me the Renegade youth bow. They will replace the limbs for free when the the youngster needs an increased weight. It cost $450.00 however. My 11 year old son shoots a Parker Challanger. The Browning Micro medalian is also a very flexible bow and even someone like me with two left thumbs can easily change the draw length.

Posts: 522 | Location: SE MIchigan | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any of the major brand youth bows would work fine. Just make sure to visit an archery shop to have the bow properly fitted and to put on quality accesories, and to have properly spined arrow built. You do not have to buy the lastest or most expensive equipment either, remember that he will outgrow bows very quickly. More important than equipment, have your son spend some quality time with the employees at the archery shop. They can teach him proper form and give him a better understanding of how the thing works, so that he doesn't start off using bad habits. If he is like any other child, he will learn alot quicker and listen better from someone other than his father, because everybody knows that a son knows alot more about everything than his dad does!

Posts: 53 | Location: pittsburgh PA | Registered: 13 November 2002Reply With Quote