Find
Notify
Tools

compound bows over 80#
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted
I am tempted by hunting with the bow in Africa.

Late Bowtech Allegiance and Tribute and Matthews safari apart, is there presently compounds over 80# marketed?

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
What animals do you hunt in Africa with the bow?

If you only want to do a plains game hunt you do not need more than 70# and a 500gr arrow.

For thick skinned animals 80# + would be advisable

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tmoran.

I looked at Elite archery website.
XLR ATA 37”
BH 8 1/2”
Draw Length 29-32”
Draw Weight 50-90 lbs.
This bow is great, I'd have preferred 100# DW but I suppose they aren't any 100# bow on the market?

Gerhard
Zimbabwe, february 2009. I am looking for hippo, croc and elephant. I made 4 safaris looking for arrowing a buffalo and never managed, the buffalo is too smart. I hope that hippo and ele are less skittish but they require potent bow and arrows.

J B de Runz

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 05 Bowtech Allegiance.

If I ever wanted to attempt any hunt like you want to do I would have Barnesdale build me a custom set of 90 to 100# limbs.

I would then build up to ensure I would be able to shoot @ 100# comfortably after a long hike.

I would not shoot an arrow less than 1200gr.

Grizzly sticks would be the arrow I use.

My broad head would be German Kinetics. I think they make a 230gr head.

This would be my set up as I would want to give nothing to chance that my equipment would not measures up to.

I would also ensure that this set up is accurate out to 50 yards.

Not that I would take a shot that far but to ensure the arrow flies true and I will hit the spot I aim at.

But this is just me... (after doing penetration tests on rhino I really had to re think what set up I would use if I ever have the oppertunaty to hunt one of the think skinned animals)

Good luck and I wish you all the best and may your arrows fly true and penetrate like crazy.

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
100lbs bow would be one tough bow to draw.
I can tell you that I used a Bowtech Tribute this last Sept. It was set at 86lbs, the arrows were Grizzly Stiks at 850 grains and German Kinetic broadheads at 180 grains.
Unfortunately I never got a shot at a buffalo, but I did shoot a giraffe at 42 yards and had complete pass through.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 82# and Easton stopped making 2419 shafts.
Where do I find the Grizzly sticks at a reasonable cost?

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get Grizzly Stiks at Alaska Bowhunting Supply.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Thanks You all

I got no responses from Elite or Bowtech. Mad

My Bowtech Allegiance and Tribute are both rigged with 90# limbs, I want to get 100# limbs but they are discontinued. Frowner

I am still waiting for an answer from Barnsdale archery. I asked for a pair of 100# Bowtech Tribute limbs. The custom shop is overworked but from what I understand from their website they can more easily provide limbs for Bowtech.)

J B de Runz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep talking to the guys at Barnsdale.

They make the best limbs for what you want.

All the best,

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gerhard,

Great guy. He has still made 100# limbs for a bowtech bow but didn't remember wether it was an allegiance or a tribute. So he wouldn't need my sending him my bow.
He'll call back tomorrow.
I am most happy. I think I'll order 2 pairs to remain on the safe side. Perhaps 3 as a friend is also using a 100# Tribute and could be reinsured with a backup pair.
Thanks again for your kindness.

J B de Runz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted on the new limbs and make sure you take a lot of photos during the hunt.

All the best

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to get a heavier string and cable set!

Most stock strings are only OK up to 80lbs.

I'd advise getting a custom set made up with a few more strands (I'd guess at least 4 more). You'll have less stretch and tuning issues to deal with.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
I got in touch with Dave Barnsdale.

Incredible!!!!!!!!

On tuesday the 3 pairs of 100# limbs will be made and shipped.

Are You aware of a better guy. This guy deserve a thread.

Thanks especially to Gerhard who had the bright idea of directing me toward Dave
Thanks to you all,
thanks BigGuy, I am looking for custom made string and cables.

J B de Runz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had pass throughs on all of my animals again this past August shooting a Mathews switchback set at 70lbs with a 125 grn steelforce broadhead on a carbosn express 350. The eland was standing broadside at 35 yards and it zipped him and he went less than 50 yards. I am looking to what everyone says about the heavier draw bows for a buf hunt in Australia. I have a high country at 80lbs but it is getting a little old. I look forward to others comments or advise.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
drwes,

I would use the exact same setup for a buff hunt in Austalia as the setup I have mentioned earlier.

Those Water Buff can be mean customers and they have very thick skin and bones just like the Cape Buff.

Hope this helps

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za