THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    bow hunting in South Africa

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bow hunting in South Africa
 Login/Join

posted
the perception on quality offered by bow hunting out fits in South Africa --good or bad comments please.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I've hunted on archery exclusive properties as well as mixed properties and had opportunities on plenty of game. It's just now I am much more selective after several trips.

My largest concern/complaint is that if hunting from a hide they usually are not done up as comfortably as they could be.

The best hides I was ever in were at Jochen Hein's in Namibia. Roomy enough for three people with no chairs to trip over. Just a built in bench along the back wall covered in blankets for comfort. There were plenty of places to hang gear. Plenty of room to move around, sound proofed and close to the water.

~Ann

Posts: 19159 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I am the opposite. (But I've never done an archery hunt in Africa, and Ann has.)

I'd prefer spot and stalk, and ambush on feeding animals rather than hides at water holes.

The trophies might be smaller and further apart, but it'd be a much more interesting hunt.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Tom Miranda did the hide @ a waterhole, then it MUST be the ONLY way!! JK guys, thought you would get a kick outa that one!

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arrow Slinger
posted Hide Post
I've been on 3 African Bow Safaris (all with different safari companies), all were fun, and offered opportunities on trophy animals. I agree with Don to a point -- have hunted from hides, as well as spot and stalk (more satisfying, when successful). Today, I usually plan to do a mixture of both on a bow safari. If on a long safari -- like ten days or more, all of that time in a hide will start to grind on me, and ten days of pure bow stalking will wear me out both physically and mentally. So, I like to mix it up. The best guy that I've been with to accomplish this is Bertus Gerhardt of Dumukwa safaris. He has a 10 day PG package which includes airfare and some pretty high-end animals -- Kudu & Gemsbok, along with 3 others for $6995. His trophy quality is second to none, and his prices are about average in RSA. Anyway, I'm going on another bow safari in May, and will be hunting with Dumukwa again.

One thing is for sure -- don't just price compare, as available trophy quality varies a lot between outfitters. Hope this helps.

Posts: 106 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
After two vists, 10 days each, to Melorani Safaris (2003 & 2005) I can hardly imagine a more enjoyable place to hunt. Others could possibly equal Stewart Dorringtons (Current President of PHASA) set up but it's hard to see what would consititute and improvement. Hides by waterholes and salt licks are well designed and comfortable, spot and stalk is available and there are lots of critters around in addition to those one might be interested in hunting. Food and accomodations are also excellent. Stewart and his PH Marco DuPlessis (Sp?) are both bow hunters and the entire operation is geared to bowhunting.

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Africanbowhunter
posted Hide Post
Its really important to be comfortable Patient pays off

Bowhunting, Africa's Last Challenge, Since 1966.
Tink Nathan, Retired PH.,Camp Verde Outpost Ranch, Camp Verde, Texas

Posts: 4 | Location: Camp Verde, Texas | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Greater Kuduland Safaries. If I had any complaints it would be that it was to plush, I didn't feel like I was working hard enough for my animals! They have two properties 35,000 acres and 80,000 acres, so its pretty much hunting free roaming animals. The hides vary, some a very large brush structures that you could just about jog around, some are partially sunk in the ground and made of logs and concrete, those are on the property that has elephants and they have some treestands also. Following up on my comments they were planning on spending a day stalking a couple times a week, but I'm sure they will do whatever you want. The stalking is fun, but not very productive, there are leopards and hyenas there, so the game is VERY alert. Food and accomodations are luxurious, its a great place to take a wife or girlfriend, but I am used to suffering more when I hunt!

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote