New
Find
Notify
Tools

two eyes or one eye open
 Login/Join

Picture of redfern
posted
I've been been shooting a a bow for 10 years and have only ever used one eye open to focus on the target, I have just returned from a hunt were my hunting buddies all shot with two eyes focusing on the target, My question what is the general consensus on one or two eyes?

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
I shoot 2 eyes open.

Does not matter if its bow, rifle, pistol or shotgun...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Use them both!

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back into shooting compounds/sights last summer.I to shot with one eye open.Everything just looked to out of focus with both eyes open and I shot better with one closed.This spring I decided to work on shooting with both open exclusively.It did take some getting use to but now I can shoot just as well maybe better this way.It's a definite advantage not sacrificing any peripheral FOV as well.That might not matter if there's only one critter/set of eyes to worry about but more often than not there are.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot with both eyes open. There are a couple of good reasons for this. First, having both eyes open gives you better depth perception. It also gives you much brighter and natural field of view. The dominant eye focuses crisply and does the actual "sighting" through the restricted area of the peep sight, and the other eye "fills in the gaps" in the picture (though not in complete binocular focus). This allows you to see the target better and also lets you track arrow flight better.

There is one caveat however. If you shoot right handed and you are left eye dominant you must either keep your dominant eye closed or switch to shooting left handed. Trying to shoot using your recessive eye with both eyes open is next to impossible, because your dominant eye will always take over even though it is not looking through the peep sight causing the arrow to miss to the side of the dominant eye.

Posts: 234 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I my experience two eyes works best for hunting.

Good hunting.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you close one eye, you lose half of your vision and ALL of your depth perception. Like other comments, I shoot bow, handgun, shotgun, rifle all both eyes open.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
1 eye for me with no choice without going lefty. You see, I'm left eye dominant but hopelessly 100% right handed.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
Ted You have the same issue that both of my children have. As soon as I confirmed that both my children were left eye dominants I immediately started teaching them to shoot left handed. Even though they are right handed in every other thing they do.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot one eye because i`m also left eye dominant but right handed

God loves you

Posts: 107 | Location: sumner, wa | Registered: 18 June 2010Reply With Quote