New
Find
Notify
Tools

grip problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've had my new Martin Cheetah for a few weeks and just recently started hitting my forearm. It seems like I can't find the spot where I used to safely hold the blasted thing. Shooting bare armed for quite a while will result in a quarter sized spot midway up my arm and a rub on the last 3 inches of my wrist. Also noticed my grip is comimng apsrt at the bottom on the right hand side.I'm shooting right handed of course. Any ideas on this owlud be greatly appreciated.

7mm. guy

shoot straight or shoot often.

One of Us
Picture of xm15e2m4
posted Hide Post
First off I'am not an expert archer by any stretch of the imagination. But I found that usually this happens when I over extend my bow arm. I shoot with more bend in my arm than most people. A friend of mine and avid 3d shooter told me to try this and it made me more steady, reduced fatige, and I never wear an arm gaurd unless wearing bulky and loose clothing. Given the brace hight of this bow I think trying this might help. The wear and tear on the grip might be a sign of to low of a grip also. Personally I dont even really grip my bow. I leave my fingers open and rely on a wrist strap to keep my bow from jumping out of my hand. That way the bow settles into a natural easily repeatable position in my hand. And make sure your draw lenght isn't set too long. Hope this helps.

I follow Rule #62.

Posts: 109 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 21 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with xm. Check your draw length. If you can not shoot comfortably with your bow arm slightly bent, your draw length is probably too long.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
Make sure you turn your elbow outward. This will put a curve in your bow arm and it should give you lots of clearance. As mentioned don't grip your bow . Let the bow grip just lay in the crotch of your hand between your thumb and index finger. If you want to feel like you have more control just lightly touch your index finger and the tip of your thumb. Before you draw your bow you can put a little string pull against your bow hand and get a feel for the neutral position on the grip then continue your draw. Hope this helps you.
Take good care,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It turns out the draw length was too long. Dad kept trying to tell me that, but I didn't beleive it. Took the length down an inch and adjusted something else so the let off is sooner and more complete (don't ask I don't understand it.) Now mgroups are even coming back. Thanks guys.

7mm. guy

shoot straight or shoot often.