THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Greatest Shot & Broadhead testing & Form

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Greatest Shot & Broadhead testing & Form
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How far do you fellow bowhunters shoot to sight in your broadheads and check different brands for arrow drop?I try to shoot at long range with the assorted brands to see which one drops the worse.If i can get one to fly true to at 40yards iam happy.I have tested about all of them and allways get the most accurate flight with the thunderheads.
What is the longest/greatest shot you guys have made?I have made a few,That i could not have walked up and stuck it in by hand and been any better!Around 50yards.When your hot your hot!We use to have a course where you could woods roam and shoot all day at different targets and yardages and some of those shots were beyond belief!Practice at long range makes close shots a breeze
I read the book the witchery of archery and the thompson brothers said that a close shot was the real test of shooting though.That is a great book and i highly recommend it to every archer.I mainly do all my practice at 30yrds and closer.
I think the ancient chinese would make the archers hold at full draw for a long time before they would let them lose there arrow.I tried that form but didnt like it,I usually just get in the zone and try to get a steady hold/sight picture and let her go once the yardage has been estimated and everything looks good,sorta like a well oiled machine!Do you fellows have a certain form>?i cant my bow alot some times and some times i dont cant it much at all but hold her strieght up and down.I usually like to cant it just a little anyway.Fred bear looked to me like he canted his bow a lot and i think he used his finger for a arrow rest some times?PaPa Bear was a super great shot!I read somewhere, he would take a long shot on game.I saw his video where he took a cape buffalo with his bow.Unreal! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by blackbearhunter:
How far do you fellow bowhunters shoot to sight in your broadheads and check different brands for arrow drop?I try to shoot at long range with the assorted brands to see which one drops the worse.If i can get one to fly true to at 40yards iam happy.I have tested about all of them and allways get the most accurate flight with the thunderheads.
What is the longest/greatest shot you guys have made?I have made a few,That i could not have walked up and stuck it in by hand and been any better!Around 50yards.When your hot your hot!We use to have a course where you could woods roam and shoot all day at different targets and yardages and some of those shots were beyond belief!Practice at long range makes close shots a breeze
I read the book the witchery of archery and the thompson brothers said that a close shot was the real test of shooting though.That is a great book and i highly recommend it to every archer.I mainly do all my practice at 30yrds and closer.
I think the ancient chinese would make the archers hold at full draw for a long time before they would let them lose there arrow.I tried that form but didnt like it,I usually just get in the zone and try to get a steady hold/sight picture and let her go once the yardage has been estimated and everything looks good,sorta like a well oiled machine!Do you fellows have a certain form>?i cant my bow alot some times and some times i dont cant it much at all but hold her strieght up and down.I usually like to cant it just a little anyway.Fred bear looked to me like he canted his bow a lot and i think he used his finger for a arrow rest some times?PaPa Bear was a super great shot!I read somewhere, he would take a long shot on game.I saw his video where he took a cape buffalo with his bow.Unreal! thumb[/QUOT

I tune at 25yrds. but usually limit my shots to 20 or less. I prefer steelforce. This year I'm going to try the G2 Shkote.

During presean I go ut each morning and shoot one arrow...no warm-up....I reflect on that shot all day.

Off season I shoot "Blind Bale" one day a week...5 yrds from the practice butt...no target...close mt eyesand pull to full draw hold 30sec+ and release..Working only on proper form.

I cant the bow a bit. I also do the swing draw most of the time...See Fred Ashbell's book.

I hiot a 135 yrd standing McKenze bear target in the 8 ring....Ok. it did take 4 arrows to range in....LOL

The Japanesse archers would spend one year learning to draw & holdtheir bows BEFORE they were alllowed to nock an arrow.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
BTW - I have the pic of Fred & his Buff in my arrow box...My next "once in a lifetime hunt"

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackbearhunter:
I think the ancient chinese would make the archers hold at full draw for a long time before they would let them lose there arrow.I tried that form but didnt like it,I usually just get in the zone and try to get a steady hold/sight picture and let her go once the yardage has been estimated and everything looks good,sorta like a well oiled machine!Do you fellows have a certain form>?i cant my bow alot some times and some times i dont cant it much at all but hold her strieght up and down.I usually like to cant it just a little anyway.Fred bear looked to me like he canted his bow a lot and i think he used his finger for a arrow rest some times?PaPa Bear was a super great shot!I read somewhere, he would take a long shot on game.I saw his video where he took a cape buffalo with his bow.Unreal! thumb

We seem to be of similar mindset.

I have done quite a bit of long range shooting and like you, I prefer 40yds to check differences in broadheads.

I'd as soon have a thunderhead as a field point for accuracy at any range. I also got great results with the old wasp heads long range on targets but they didn't hold up well for repeat kills on deer.

I like to play out to 70yds and would go further but my last pin bottoms out and that keeps me reigned in somewhat.

I've killed several deer in the 60yd range but perhaps my best shot was over 30 years ago with a recurve when I bulled the 80yd target during a shoot at LRAFB. I set the course record that day and it was still standing when I left.

It'll be nice to get some warmer days so I can once again enjoy late afternoons stretching out and shooting more. I do my 'fun shooting' thru the summer as I believe to be your best in archery, you must be comfortable. I often hunt in extremely cold weather and consider my bow more a tool then but when the weather warms these old bones, bowhunting turns into archery and I have fun with it too.

to complete the brag sandwich, I should add that I've bowkilled 151 whitetails and the avg shot is 18yds. Longest 63yd, shortest 3yd.

I'm fortunate in there are some nice sand pits about a mile from here and that area offers some great backstops for really long distance arrow letting as well as the remote woodsy atmosphere I am at home with.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man you guys gave some good replys.I have never heard of the swing shot type form,I have heard and read fred asbell though but not his book.Since you guys no archery,let me ask you this,What happened to the fellow that was allways in the bowhunter magazine?I will go look his name up,but he was a ranger in vietnam and he would hunt alone for days byhimself and would allways shoot the nicest animals.I saw him the other day on T.V. hunting with M.R.James for moose in alaska i think.The fellow iam asking abouthad to draw his bow with his teeth!They never did say what happened to him?He is a really toughhunter and my hats off to him for still bowhunting with one arm.I quit reading bowhunter magazine and a bunch more because i got tired of buying a magizine with a bunch of ads andjust a few stories.Dweight shue? i think was his name.Also did paul shaffers old shop that made the silvertip bow close down?I got to shoot one of his bows back in the old days when he was still alive and man that baby was sweet,I talked to him or his helper on the phone one time,about geting a bow done up,but they talked like they were not interested in makeing me a bow.....The one i wanted they had just discontinued and would not bend their rules and make one up just for me,never did undersatand why?Oh well i like the idea of one shot though,iam going to adopt that one myself,thats smart!Also i always wanted to shoot really long practice shots like 100yrds are something,but never tried that range much,i think i will give t a shot.I have just seen the movie the hero.Man they fill the skies with arrows in that movie-Its a must see for archers!I rented the movie just for that vision!it isnt everyday you get to see thousands of arrows flying thru the air all at the same time!!!
Cheers beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add wave,My dream was to take a bear with a bow,i fullfilled that dream years ago,one of my greatest shots with my recurve,No sights,broadside 20yards,perfect hit.125gr.thunderhead,complete penetraion,double lung shot! thumbi was pumped needless to say!lucky too. My state doesnt have bunchs of bears,oh yea i might add,i hunted 15yrs. for bear before the sun shone on me,i guess iam a long hunter! thumb
I have had many great shots but for a long shot my greatest was around 60yards on a deer,perfect hit!Old browning nomad compound years ago,koplin offset drill type blade,original first issue green gamegetter arrow with plastic fletch,nosights!Also i shot a squirrel at a easy 60yards,cold shot- no sights,perfect right behind the shoulder,had a witness and it was a awsome long shot!Taste like fried chicken! jump Bear cam hunter-one of the first compounds with cams ever marketed,years ago too.I think it was also one of the first compounds to come out factory camoed!It was green and had some big old ugly cams,but boy was she fast!I shot 70# back then but i was a lot tougher back then too. One other story and i will quit,took a nice big 8-point buck at 35yrds,ben pearson round wheel compound,Rocky mountain 3-blade 130gr.,perfect broadside heart shot!I would like to do that hunt again!Caught the old buck in a muscadine patch having early morning breakfast.His stomach was full of peanuts and me and my bros couldnt figure where he got them as we were miles from anyone.They asked around and come to find out as the crow flies there was a old blackman that lived byhisself.He said he had been having problems with that old buck eating his peanut patch and sure was glad i got him!Man we couldnt believe how far that old boy was roaming but was glad he did just the same.That taught me a lesson about whitetail bucks,Man when they get to roaming,they can really set out on a long distance adventure from there regular home turf,if in they get the urge to Ramble!Cheers beer Bowhunting is a adventure!Nothing can compare to hunting with just a stick and a string! thumb

One of Us
Picture of prairiewolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the longest/greatest shot you guys have made?

My longest (luckyest)was a 55yd. shot on a gopher when I shot I could see It was going to be a miss but the gopher started to run and ran about afoot and right into my arrow. Big Grin Now I can honestly tell people I can hit a running gopher at 50+ yards. Wink Wink Big Grin Big Grin

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Posts: 144 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Swing draw - With an arrow nocked as you raise your bow from your side you start drawing the bow as you raise into position push & pulling at the same time with each arm...There are pics in one of Fred's books. The benifit is you use more muscles to draw so you don't get tired as fast as the stright target shooting style.

The bad part is you are moving a lot so for whitetail it might not always be the best move.

The thing about one "cold" shot each morning a month before season is you started getting your brain in hunting mode. We all know there are no warm-up or 2nd arrows when your hunting. I hunt Northern Illinois. all the warm-up in the morning doesn't mean squat after 6 hours in the stand at a temp of 30... Wink

Best hunting shoot I made a perfect heart shoot on a treed 'coon 20ft away and 18" in the air once.(recurve) I remeber looking at her hissing at me and thinking I can put it right behind your elbow little missy... Big Grin Then she hissed again at me. She now lives on my back quiver.