THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Recurve vs Long bow - what are the pro's & con's

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recurve vs Long bow - what are the pro's & con's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are the pro's and con's of a recurve vs a longbow? Thanks!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its a little more complicated than that. A lot of the longbows are very close to being recurves, they have the reflex/deflex, its just stretched out the length of the limb and some of them have pistol grips and cutout sight windows and you can buy 50's style recurves with broomstick style handles. Assuming just the basics, a recurve is shorter, faster and with near center shot, easier to tune. Some find longbows easier to shoot accurately and they are very quiet.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot my recurve slightly more accurately than my longbow, but otherwise loboga has pretty much nailed it.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Given the hybrids available (longbow limbs on recurve-type handles, and the advent of carbon foam cores for limbs), the differences are lessening. Recurves--in general--tend to have less handshock, be a bit faster, and a bit noisier than longbows...but those things are functions of the design and skill of the bowyers. Pays yo money, takes yo choice! I really like some of the hybrids.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have shot both for the past 25 yrs, having abandoned compounds in the mid 80's. For me, a longbow is easier to shoot more accurately because I tend to torque the larger handle of a recurve. Some longbows have become so radical in their design, that they're hardly longbows and really just "bastardized" recurves. I'd suggest you shoot several models of both and make your decision based on which feels more comfortable/natural to you. Feet per second in arrow speed should be your last consideration in your decision on which to get.

Posts: 12 | Location: Central Utah | Registered: 26 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I concur with previous replies: There is very little difference in stored energy among best-quality recurves, hybrids, and longbows (flat or "D" limbs). Differences that would be important for you focus on each bow type's shootability for you. Further, having identified what bow type you prefer, you will discover a bazillion production and custom makers of that type.

Your most efficient method of identifying what you want is to visit/join a traditional archery club. Nearly every shooter will allow you to shoot his bow, to try it out. From this base, you will be able to have your budget and your wants join.
My rule: When in doubt, buy the best. Over a lifetime of shooting, its cost per day is chump change.

Hope this helps.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1501 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on try before you buy(or order), there are various trad bowhunter events around the country where the custom makers will let you try their stuff.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Here's some pics of a hybrid take-down being built for me...I'll have it in my grubby mitts in a few days. It's Christmas again!

This bow has a phenolic I-beam in the riser for strength. The woods are cocobolo and gaboon ebony. Limbs are (back to belly) diamondback skins, carbon, actionboo cores, cocobolo, clear glass. It is 62" long and 69@28.

Good hunting,

Andy

Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,

I have an opportunity to buy a Howard Hill Long Bow, a "Wesley Special" of 50 lbs. The price is U$ 400. Looking at the price list in HH site, it seems very good price!
I have 2 recurves of 45 and 50 lbs I can shoot reasonably well.
My question is: What do you think about this Howard Hill bow? It looks very, very good and seems to be very well made. Bamboo laminates as a main material.

Thank you all.

Regards

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy, who is making the the longbow for you?

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howard hill bows are among the most difficult to shoot, and have tons of handshock. However if you want a "classic" style it's the one to get. At that price you can aways sell it and get most of your money back. I have friends who absolutely love their HH bows, I don't like them at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you calgarychef1.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
Andy, who is making the the longbow for you?

Steve Tallant, Eagle Wing Archery

http://www.eaglewingarchery.i8.com/

Good hunting,

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's my opinion

Limbs:
Longbows are quieter and more durable
Recurves are noisier and more susceptible to twist.

Riser
Longbows are lighter
Recurves are heavier, this is a positive for me because I shoot a heavier riser better.

Grip
Longbows, you grab em like you own them
Recurves point better and give more consistent shot to shot hand placement.

In a nutshell, it takes more dedication to shoot a longbow as well as a recurve.

Years ago, I thought the best hunting bow for me personally would be a recurve style handle with longbow limbs. Best of both worlds.

Now there are many such bows on the market. I have not gotten around to owning one yet. But it would be a serious problem if I found "the one". What would I do with all my other bows then?

Howard Hill Longbows? definitely old school

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mate, go for that Wesley Special! I have one, and love it, although it is a little heavy for me these days. I have a lighter Hill Redman, and it is most enjoyable.

I shoot either recurves or Howard Hill longbows, depending on my mood. I find I am much better with a longer Hill bow than with a shorter Hill, and having a slight locator grip helps me too.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some people really notice handshock on Hills; others, like me, don't. Once you find the right grip on the bow, it should be quite sweet. I've taken nice feral billy goats and some good-sized feral pigs with my Hills.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
Love my Howard Hill's and my Black Widows too.
Hill's just require a little different grip and there is not much if any hand shock. Very forgiving and accurate.

Posts: 237 | Location: Ga. | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote