THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    My first trip to South Africa with a bow.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first trip to South Africa with a bow.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted
My wife and I are leaving for South Africa and going thru the airport in JoBurg this September.

It is our first archery hunt in Africa and will be our first time in JoBurg.

From what I can tell archery equipment is handled as regular baggage. I wanted to see if anyone has any tips that make things go easier when going thru customs or if anyone has had any issues with customs and archery equipment.
Thanks
Will

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't carry the bow in a case that looks like a gun case

label the case archery

have fun, troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
You don't need a SAPS form for the bow but it's a good idea to get a 4458 from U.S. customs for it.

I've been only once. Soon to go again (next week!) My bow went through much smoother than the guys traveling with me who had firearms. I'm taking the same bow and 4458.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think archery gear is just "sporting equipment" and you should have no problem. I just broke down my longbow and put everything in the suitcase. I wonder now if I should have mentioned it or not, well anyrate I didn't and all went well.

Be sure to take spare strings etc. and a bowpress etc. You'll need to be able to fix your own equipment if something goes wrong.

have fun

the chef

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Archery gear is treated as normal gear.

I picked up 2 hunters tonight at JHB Int.

They brought archery gear as well as rifles.

We spend 20min to clear the rifles and were on our way to the bed and breakfast.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I need to clarify about the form 4458. It's not required to get your bow into South Africa.

What it does is certify proof of ownership on items when you are coming back to the U.S. It quickly answers any questions about where you purchased those items.

One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information guys! I am all good on the customs forms. I got these forms for my Namibia trip two years ago as well. I have two bows that are parallel limbs so my SKB case does look a bit like a gun case. But we will wing it and go with the flow. Can't wait. Only 20 days and counting.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's actually a customs form 4457.

Posts: 149 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you should not have any problem,, but saying that,, remember it is Africa,, things happen. At baggage claim,, the bow cases usually come out along the back wall where the "oversize" luggage, golf bags etc. come out. If for some reason it isn't there,, you may have to check with the Sapps because if it looks a lot like a gun case,,, you can write Archery" all over the case and to them it is just another gun. At this time, no permits are required for bows. The customs 4457 form is to prove ownership when returning to the states. I have had to show it on my guns before but so far never on my bows, video equipement, binoculars, etc,, but better safe than sorry. My bow case is a square aluminum case with wheels that holds 2 bows,, it looks like a gun case and never any problems so far. I always have to show that they are just bows clearing customs but very little hassle.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Moody:
It's actually a customs form 4457.

You are right. Thank you for correcting me Ken.