THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    ?, ?, ? *End of Hunt Update!*

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

?, ?, ? *End of Hunt Update!*
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm surprised at the lack of new threads since bow season has started!

Isn't anyone getting ready for a great hunt?

Hasn't anyone returned from one?

I'm getting ready for the best draw of my life! Last bow elk hunt in the Gila in 16A! Talked to a guy who killed a 350 bull and another that is chasing one that has 60 cows to work on.

From my scouting trip:.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I put in for seven different draws this year and got picked for ZERO, nothing, zip, zilch. I probably should have put in for NM elk, I know I wanted to, but I just assumed I would get drawn for some of this other stuff!

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Next tuesday I'm driving to Whitecourt AB then off to Ft.mcmurray.......then into a li'l float plane and off to moose heaven. We'll have 10 days of moose hunting with trad bows.

I haven't got a tag but buddy does, so I'll have whitetail, and a couple of bear tags in my pocket. Also a slim chance of some free range buffalo but I doubt it. The fishing is supposed to be pretty good on the "secret" lake we've chosen so I hope to be eating pike for breakfast, lunch and supper-yum!

Tomorrow I'm looking for an elk. Not too much hope because we've only got one day to get the deed done, but it's better than staying home. It's been cold and rainy so hopefully the elk will be pretty rutted up.

I'll let y'all know how it went when I get back home.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Calgarychef1, a few years ago, I hunted moose in N.E. Alb on a fly in hunt. Big pike, big bears with little fear of people and decent moose.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
Next tuesday I'm driving to Whitecourt AB then off to Ft.mcmurray.......then into a li'l float plane and off to moose heaven. We'll have 10 days of moose hunting with trad bows.

I haven't got a tag but buddy does, so I'll have whitetail, and a couple of bear tags in my pocket. Also a slim chance of some free range buffalo but I doubt it. The fishing is supposed to be pretty good on the "secret" lake we've chosen so I hope to be eating pike for breakfast, lunch and supper-yum!

Tomorrow I'm looking for an elk. Not too much hope because we've only got one day to get the deed done, but it's better than staying home. It's been cold and rainy so hopefully the elk will be pretty rutted up.

I'll let y'all know how it went when I get back home.

the chef

Sounds like a target rich environment and a great outing!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to keep the thread alive....

I went out to area 410 yesterday near Canmore, it's a bow only zone but really chopped up with hew housing developments etc.

Talked to the warden there, and he pointed us in the direction of the elk. We only had one day to hunt before I have to get serious about packing for the moosing trip. What the heck, one can't get an elk sitting at home, so we went!

We didnt see or hear any elk, other than the one I heard walking through the bush. Don't worry it was an elk all right they have "that sound" when they hit the logs on the ground. Saw lots and lots of nice deer in that zone and it's got me thinking about going back for a mulie later on. Did see some grizzly activity, as the warden had warned.

Here's the interesting part of the story, the warden is a bowhunter too and I sure don't expect him to give the location of his honey hole. But his other team member came by to check our liscences and we got to talking, he let slip where the first warden does his hunting Wink So now I know a good spot to look for elk and moose in a zone where there is no draw....over the counter tags every year.

So even though we didn't get the elk of our dreams we did have a great time and learned some good stuff about the zone.

good hunting guys, it's just beginning!!

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Missouri Breaks bow elk.....report on return.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the G5 Montecs. I switched to the Strikers with the replacable blades. Much sharper.

Hope I get a chance to report on their performance!Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
I shoot the G5 Montecs.

Same here. I'm also hoping to report on their upcoming performance. Big Grin

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is always wild hog season here in Texas,, problem being we aren't seeing many, according to the trail camera pictures,,, they are coming through at 3:00am in the morning. Until it cools off some things probably won't change much. I got drawn in Illinois for Whitetail but that isn't till November. Untill then I will keep hog hunting and whitetail season opens in October, and on the 2nd you will find me in a tree in Texas

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drwes:
It is always wild hog season here in Texas,, problem being we aren't seeing many, according to the trail camera pictures,,, they are coming through at 3:00am in the morning. Until it cools off some things probably won't change much. I got drawn in Illinois for Whitetail but that isn't till November. Untill then I will keep hog hunting and whitetail season opens in October, and on the 2nd you will find me in a tree in Texas

I hear ya brother, I'll be in a tree somewhere in E. Tx. Not sure if it will be in Limestone, Anderson, or Houston counties, but somethin is gonna hit the dirt somewhere in a couple of weeks. To be honest I wold just as soon it be a big hog, at least you get more meat and ya don't have to worry about them being 13" wide or having to mount them afterwards.

Good luck to you all.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mke / Tx:
Good luck to you all.

tu2

One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update.

Left yesterday and towed back last night.

Hope to get out by noon with a repaired truck!

Hope the hunt gets better than this shocker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, it was the best hunt of just about any kind that I've ever taken part in.

Saw things I've only seen on video; Bulls pawing wallows, laying in the wallow bugling while cows and calves trotted and bounced playfully back and forth across the creek calling all the time. Lots of rutting activity. Close to herds that were like a "swirling tornado" of elk; tons of bugling, chasing, glunking, growling, panting. Not me the elk! Big Grin

Called in a 5x5 and passed an easy shot on day 3; I was looking for a big guy. Had opportunities on every evening and morning thereafter at decent 6x6's. Called them all in with cow calls but the shots were just not as good as I'd have liked.

Talked to too many hunters, some who were year round 3-D shooters, who wounded one or more. I wasn't about to take a shot that wasn't a guarantee. I'll try for this area every year and if I'm not drawn, hunt with a camera.

Saw the biggest bulls I've ever seen, but didn't get pics. I was trying to shoot them with my bow!