Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
Bartsche's 9X41 cast cat
 Login/Join

by Paul H (created on )Gallery | Comments 
Picture of Paul H
Here are some pics Roger sent me, hopefully he can fill us in with some details, ie parent case, rifle, and how it's performed so far with cast loads. Remember to see all the pics you have to choose the gallery selection at the upper right.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
Here are some pics Roger sent me, hopefully he can fill us in with some details, ie parent case, rifle, and how it's performed so far with cast loads.

Remember to see all the pics you have to choose the gallery selection at the upper right.

The photo with the four together are my own home brew made from 06 or 308 and such.The only one of these that I use with cast bullets is the miss named 9x41. The original name was suppose to be .358 mini mag. when it came back from the gun smith's the stamping on it is 9x41.

The only ones that have been used on deer are the 7x41 and .375x41

the photo with the 5 is the x41s contrasted to the 30-06.

the photo of the two rifles shows (top) 9x41 (lower) 7x41. the largest case in the photo is my home brewer .358X404 IMP. I actually started using the gas checked bullets in this one but discovered that a case this size is a poor balance for a projectile that should be kept below 2400ft./sec. Also got a lot of delayed ignition.

The sngleton on the wood is the 9x41 with the 297gr. gas checked bullet.

The 9x51 is something that I'm playing with in my mind only at this time.It answers the question I pose to myself; what would be the ideal 35 cal cartridge to push the 300 grainer at 2400 ft/sec. using a ful case of powder and no fillers. It just so happens, as you see, that it can be achieved with the .308 or .358 case formed to give you that nice long neck.

Thanks for posting the photos. It sure didn't take you long.roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
So Roger,

The 9X41 is a shortened .308 case? What action did you build the rifle on?

One wildcat that has piqued my curiosity as a cast round is the 35 BR, probably just about the perfect case capacity for a ~250 gr bullet @ 2200 fps.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
So Roger,

The 9X41 is a shortened .308 case? What action did you build the rifle on?.

I use the .308, .270, 30-06,.257 roberts, etc. I have achieved 2100fps ,near full case with no fillers. I am tesing some 250 grain gas checks next week in it to approach near max, loads. So far with with mild loads of 30gr. of 680 1961fps.have been reached with the 250gr gck.It also yielded a 3 shot 1/4" group at 50yds.

Except for the .375x41 which is a REM 600 action the other 3 are Mausers.

If any of these PIQUE your interest I'll be willing to loan you the reamers.

Not having been a cast bullet guy I was surprise and delighted to be able to achieve 30-06 energy levels with the 297gr. gck bullet in that 1.625" long case.Shocked is what I was. Smilerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice round-up, Roger. I'd love to see the 9x51 with the longneck. If you don't have something agin' Winchesters, maybe you'd consider going the 3.1"-route? You could get your 2400fps with a shorter barrel....

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Not having been a cast bullet guy I was surprise and delighted to be able to achieve 30-06 energy levels with the 297gr. gck bullet in that 1.625" long case.Shocked is what I was. Smilerroger[/QUOTE]

Forgot to tell you that these are 16 1/2" barrels. I'm seriously thinking of doing one in a 24" light barrel. The velocity gain it seems would be considerable do to the low friction of lead to steel. In cast bullets I am no expert. I'm just thinking out loud. Roll Eyesroger