THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SOUTH AMERICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  South American Big Game Hunting    Firearm procedures to travel to Argentina?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearm procedures to travel to Argentina?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just found out I'm going to Argentina for a hunt in about six weeks. The ranch advises strongly against bringing our own firearms, but, I really want to use my own.

Can anyone give me a definitive run down on the current rules? I visited ten web sites with ten different answers. Does anyone know of a good transfer agent who can assist in Bueno Aires?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Sir, good morning.

Bring you gun is very easy, just complete the RENAR form for gun entry with all your personal info and gun info. You will pay 100 usd per gun at the airport.
Be sure that you outfitter is registed at the RENAR as outfitter or hunting ranch opperation.

If your outfiite do not give you the renar number you will not be able to introduce your gun, just the fully lincensed outfiters can provide you the renar number o Usuario coto de caza (in Spanish).

You can download the form from RENAR web site or your outfitter will provide you a copy.

Have a good stay in our country!!

Best Regards Martin I Telleria

Martin Telleria
www.tsbuenosaires.com

Posts: 70 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 23 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
It was pretty painless when we went last year. They were extremely helpful but whatever you do, don't lose your paperwork. You will need it many times if you are flying within Argentina.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
VERY EASY JUST PAY THE FORM OF THE RENAR 100US AND TELL THEM WHERE AND WITH WHOM YOU WILL HUNT .SOME PROVINCES LIKE CORRIENTES YOU ONLY NEED TO GAVE THEM THE NAME OF THE FARM AND TRHE NAME OF THE GUIDE AS THERE ARENT REGISTERED HUNTING FARMS .ANY PROBLEM ,CONTACT ME ILL HELP WITH YOUR PAPERS .CORDOBA AIRPORT HAS A SPECIAL ROOM JUST FOR HUNTERS TO MAKE THE ENTRANCE FASTER ,BUT SOMETIMES THERE ARE 20 HUNTERS WAITING MOST OF THEM WING SHOOTERS .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone, I feel a (bit) better.

I called the consulate - they weren't much help (Los Angeles) The consulate in NY said I must appear to have my fingerprints taken - that was the first I'd heard about that.

I'm hunting with Frank Lanus outside of Santiago del Estero at the Quebrachal Hunting Ranch.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Here's the procedure from RENAR

http://www.renar.gov.ar/index_..._circuito_entrada_en

Don't panic at the $600 charge...that's in Argentinian Pesos. If paying with American money they will send you to another window to pay and then you return to the gun registration room.

This is from the website of the outfitter we hunted with:

quote:
In order to introduce firearms to Argentina, foreign citizens will have to fill in one technical form per hunter (x3 and up to three firearms by form) which they will have to present to local authorities upon arrival at Ezeiza International Airport in Argentina.

The cost of this is of $600 per firearm (Argentinean pesos, that is approximately U$S 110). This is paid once in Argentina but the form can be completed before departure.

A description (and any official updates) of this process and the necessary technical form can be found at the following web site: http://www.renar.gov.ar by clicking on the link that reads "TOURISTS: Entering or exiting the country with firearms"

The following additional necessary information may be requested:

a) Valid passport.
b) Address in Argentina: Estancia La Norma, Departamento de Loventue, Provincia de La Pampa, Argentina.
c) Hunting ranch ID: ICC20071

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems pretty straightforward. I will take pesos, too.

The consulate in LA is trying to get me to come in to them in advance. I see no reason for the extra expense if I can do it on-site.

I would presume they would treat another barrel as a separate firearm. It was confusing to immigration when I went to Africa.

Now I just need to select a caliber ...

One of Us
Picture of megsdad
posted Hide Post
I am confused as to needing documents from a US consulate prior to arriving in Argentina. Do yo need something from the consulate besides the RENAR form (off the internet)???

Posts: 104 | Location: so oregon | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello, how are you?
Just complete the gun form that you download from the renar website. You do not need to do any procedure in U.S.
If you hunt in la pampa province be sure to have the Outfitter RENAR number.

Remember to pay the resiprocity fee before the arrival to Argentina, is like a visa.

Have a nice trip to our country, Martin

Martin Telleria
www.tsbuenosaires.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stephen very easy just complete it when you arrive .In Cordoba airport it will take just a couple of minutes there are a speciall site in the airport just for hunters where they will help with the papers .
JULIO

Posts: 108 | Location: Cordoba | Registered: 15 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about in Buenos Aries? Is there a special firearms section?

(I'm arriving from Houston, TX, USA)

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Yup...after you get your Visa just keep to the right where it says firearm registration.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand that the reciprocity is good for
10 years. This will be my 5th trip first one was in 2008. Meliza on travel with guns thinks there are new rules that I would need documentation to prove that I bought it in 2008.
What does anyone know about this?
Thanks Austin

Posts: 74 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 24 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello, if you have the payment tickets. Just show it, other way they give you RECIPROCITY Number, with that number you do not have to pay.
, but just in case try to bring the tickets.
I am preaty sure thatour payment and name is save on the inmigration files.

thanks and good hunt.

martin

Martin Telleria
www.tsbuenosaires.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm back from a great trip. Most of the Argentine people were welcoming, friendly, and very helpful.

Police in the weapons registration, well, they are a little uptight (and untrained). I downloaded the latest form from the RENAR website the day before I went and when I got to registration they told me I had the wrong form. I had the opportunity to fill out three more that they gave me!

It isn't hard, but, it does take a lot of time. Firearms have to be uncased when leaving an airport, and again when arriving. Serial numbers are written into a book (a coffee stained book at that!).

The worst part was trying to leave BA. One untrained person trying to serve a line of twenty people one at a time in a small office where you couldn't turn around with your bags. The guy knew nothing of firearms (although he had one on his hip - I hope it was unloaded).

I would still take my firearms. I would suggest to anyone who plans to do so to make certain they have a case they can easily open and they know where their serial numbers are on the gun(s).

There was a lot of confusion about whether or not ammunition had to be in a separate container, in with the firearm, or could be contained in other luggage (like in the US). In the end it varied by airport/person. I ended up paying overweight charges on Aerolineas because I had to move my ammo to the firearm case. A minor, but expensive, change.

I would be happy to go back and visit once again.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I also just got back. The ICC# is very important and the forms I was given before leaving home did not have a place to put it so when we got to EZE we had a long hassle with RENAR while the outfitter was called with much hullabaloo but we were finally able to get it sorted out after 1 1/2 hours.
As Rodel says, the Argentine airlines want your ammo in the same case as the firearms but the international airlines want the ammo in a different case Roll Eyes
It all works out but make sure you leave LOTS of time to make connecting flights. When we left EZE to return home it took us a full 2 hours to get through the RENAR and check in process and that was with the help of a Delta employee.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Next time we go to Argentina we will use the bus for all in country transport. It eliminates a lot of the hassle with firearms.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far for 2014 season we had only a couple of delays on the firearms depart process and all of them were mainly because of airlines staff attitude. Out last week group from Jim Shokey hunting adventures experienced some delays with Delta people who are in charge of the firearms process. Despite we have good contacts at the airport renar desk, if the airline doesn't cooperate u will suffer delays.
If u ask me about the impo/expo process I would say its easy and quick by the arrival ( u can do it without any assitance, u can ask the forms in advance to ur outfitter/ranch ) and for the departure u should be at the aitport 4 hours before ur take off. This last consideration is a must if u are flying back with delta.
If u need further details or assitance just pm me.

​OUR CLIENTS SPEAK FOR US,

Santiago Diaz Mathe
Co-Founder & Manager
Poitahue Hunting Ranch
SDS Outdoors Obsession
Phone: +1 214 329 9013
Web: www.poitahue-hunting.com
Web: www.sdsbiggameobsession.com
Address: Argentina - La Pampa - North Patagonia
Dallas show: DSC 2020 Booth #2228
Reno show: SCI 2020 Booth #234

Posts: 47 | Location: Argentina - LA PAMPA | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The United people were great on the departure. They didn't bat an eye. At having to take us to the RENAR office. I would say it was easier to get into the country than it was to get out.

The problem may have been that I left on the weekend, the guys at RENAR were very unsure of themselves.

I don't know about the bus. That would have been an 8 hour ride, at least, to get to Malbren.

Someone needs to get the ammo thing sorted out, though. There's no reason they have to be different.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rodell:
The United people were great on the departure. They didn't bat an eye. At having to take us to the RENAR office. I would say it was easier to get into the country than it was to get out.

The problem may have been that I left on the weekend, the guys at RENAR were very unsure of themselves.

I don't know about the bus. That would have been an 8 hour ride, at least, to get to Malbren.

Someone needs to get the ammo thing sorted out, though. There's no reason they have to be different.

Our return flight from Santa Rosa to Buenos Aries was cancelled without notice so it was either wait two more days for the next flight or take the bus. We were skeptical but really didn't have much option. The bus we took was 11 hours if I remember correctly. It ran throughout the night. There was meal service and we each had a full-sized bed that we could stretch out in and sleep. It's not like a bus I've taken anywhere else in the world. We got back into Buenos Aries early in the morning...well rested and ready to enjoy the day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've taken the overnight buses and can cheerfully recommend that. Seats that turn into a bed and a meal service make it more comfortable than the flight down ever was, and the timing worked out perfectly. I should mention that a double decker bus does affront my innate sense of center of gravity and stability, but if I can get over it you can too.

One thing that I liked was that you knew fully well that your luggage and firearms are with you, since you saw them loaded and perhaps even did it yourself.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Rodell, is common that some ranches that do not have RENAR number they recommend do not bring guns because they are not fully licensed with the RENAR.

The procedure is easy, complete the gun form and pay the stamp in ARgentina. If the ranch where you are going do not have renar number they will not allow you to enter with the gun in to the country.

Thanks Martin

Martin Telleria
www.tsbuenosaires.com

One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
When I hunted in Argentina a few weeks ago I had a couple of issues with RENAR upon arrival. The official in plainclothes (older gentleman) had a very difficult time determining the magazine capacity for my Ruger #1. The fact his younger (uniformed) assistant insisted my rifle was only capable of holding one round (its a single shot design), just wasn't getting through to him. Roll Eyes

The second situation could have been more serious, had we not allotted plenty of time for our travel to the regional airport and transfer to Santa Rosa. Neither my outfitter nor RENAR (upon arrival in BA) ever mentioned that I had to register my ammunition. While waiting to check in with RENAR for our regional flight, I mentioned to our agent that I'd heard I needed to move my ammo from the regular checked luggage to my (hard) gun case. She was surprised to learn I had shells, as they weren't registered.

Although she had time, it was necessary for the agent to take my shells and paperwork back to the international airport RENAR office, register the ammunition, and return to the regional airport where I was waiting for her. Registering the ammunition at the regional airport was not an option.

If we hadn't discovered the issue in time, I might have arrived in Santa Rosa with my rifle, but the shells wouldn't have been with me. Note for all: Tell RENAR officials about ammunition you've brought with you in addition to firearms.

Final point: Dealing with RENAR at the international airport on the way home was fast and simple. The young (uniformed) officer was working by himself and he remembered me (and my Ruger #1) from when I arrived. tu2

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote