THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    My favorite steak sauce and British pickles......

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My favorite steak sauce and British pickles......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am a big fan of London Pub Steak Sauce, available on walmarts.com for about $35 for 12 bottles of 10 oz. with free shipping or pick up at your local walmarts. I like it on steaks, and just about any kind of meat you serve on a plate, besides barbecue. Yummy with pork chops, for example.

I am not sure where I read about these pickles, but somewhere I read a blurb about how someone desperately missed his British Branston Pickles. I couldn't wait to try some and found them on walmarts.com at a good price. This is more like a relish than a pickle, can be piled on a sandwich or whatever. It is fairly sweet with a slight vinegary flavor. I like it. Try it and I think you'll like it too.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I was foolish enough to start this thread, let me hasten to mention my all time favorite steak sauce, McIlhenny Co. TABASCO Brand Steak Sauce, which is really fine and slightly spicey. Highly recommended. tu2

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like a little A1 at times. In the summer when the garden is working I like to make up my own. Sage,rosemary ground up with kosher salt mixed with olive oil. I sometimes will add a little fresh garlic and worcestershire or soy sauce. Works well on a sirloin.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like A-1 and Heinz 57.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I always figured that if I had to use some kind of sauce on my steak I had cooked it wrong! Smiler A little sprinkle of TexJoy steak seasoning and a hot fire is all I need to make my belly happy.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always figured it was kind of like ice cream. I like ice cream but chocolate sprinkles certainly don't hurt the pleasure. Same with steak sauce.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
A valid perspective. I'm a simpleton I guess - I like my vanilla ice cream plain too! (Or maybe I'm just boring...)

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
A valid perspective. I'm a simpleton I guess - I like my vanilla ice cream plain too! (Or maybe I'm just boring...)

Boring?.....snoring.....I wouldn't say so.......Asleep...... Whistling

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Not sauce, but here's something I do like to enhance a steak - a slab of nice hot green chile and a liberal dose of cheddar cheese. Toss that on top of a steak on the grill just after it's flipped. Leave it just long enough to melt the cheese to make sure the steak is still nice and rare. Mmm, mmm, good! That's not boring!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I knew there had to be some life left in those OLD tastebuds. Sounds good.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
TexJoy, you say? Wonder if it is similar to Spade L Ranch that we have out here on the Left Coast.

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I like my steaks black and blue and with just S&P or McC Montreal Seasoning. My wife and kids do sauces.

Now when I used to grill or cast iron them I'd always pile up my family's steaks on top of my plate to rest so I could steal & get the benefit of juice with my rare steak.

The past 2-3 years I gave up grilling steaks and hamburgers and preferred to cast iron cook my steaks and finish basting them with butter- see below.

I only sous vide mine now and finish in the skillet with a scorching hot sear and then baste with Irish butter, thyme and a few garlic cloves. After this is done I'll do a "pseudo au poivre" sauce by adding black pepper, cognac & heavy cream for the boss and my kids while the steaks rest.

If you haven't tried sous vide y'ought to. The biggest advantage is that no matter what grade of beef you can find locally, it all comes out tender. Also takes out the guessing game- every steak cooked the same doneness- great for parties.

But thanks for the tip- gonna have the boss pick some up today at Wally World- my baby (a sophomore at TLU) loves steak sauce.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only problem with this thread is that you have failed to mention Henry Baine's, the best steak sauce ever made. Not available commercially, here is the recipe:

gredients
15 m
1 (17 ounce) jar Major Grey chutney
4 1/2 ounces pickled walnuts (optional)
1 (14 ounce) bottle ketchup
1 (10 fluid ounce) bottle steak sauce (such as A1®)
1 (10 fluid ounce) bottle Worcestershire sauce
1 (12 ounce) bottle tomato-based chili sauce (such as Heinz®)
1 dash hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®), or to taste

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Gato. Never heard of it, but I'll have to try it.

I believe in sauce! Big Grin

I love A1 sauce. Great stuff. Is the London Pub sauce sort of like that in taste? A1 is way better than Heinz 57, in my opinion. To me, it's got more of a Worcestershire sauce taste: sweet but acidic and tangy.

But I also like the old classic, French sauces, too.

Béarnaise and Bordelaise are amazingly good. The French know their sauces.

The French sauces take a fair bit of time and trouble to make.

Always well worth it, though.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
The French know their sauces.

Funny story. A few years back we went to Italy & then visited my dad & stepmom at their house in Croatia for a week (they summer there every year). My wife complained with all the cheese, etc she was constipated and hadn't shit all week. I chuckled inside because we left Croatia for Paris and I just knew...........

Well it was the wild mushroom ravioli in a heavy cream & foie gras sauce that helped her out. Oh and I still can taste the roasted marrow bones to this day......

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Hah! Big Grin

French sauces are like Chinese herbs - they cure everything!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
Got exposed to Monkey Gland Sauce a couple months ago while in SA. Been making it and eating it ever since.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 363 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
The only problem with this thread is that you have failed to mention Henry Baine's, the best steak sauce ever made. Not available commercially, here is the recipe:

gredients
15 m

Sounds interesting. I'll try it and report back.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love A1 sauce. Great stuff. Is the London Pub sauce sort of like that in taste? A1 is way better than Heinz 57, in my opinion. To me, it's got more of a Worcestershire sauce taste: sweet but acidic and tangy.

I'd say they are quite close in taste, but I haven't tried A1 in a while.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I love steak, but seldom use steak sauce. However when I do indulge it is Lea and Perrins steak sauce.

quote:
Since I was foolish enough to start this thread, let me hasten to mention my all time favorite steak sauce, McIlhenny Co. TABASCO Brand Steak Sauce, which is really fine and slightly spicey. Highly recommended. tu2

Although I am able to see Avery Island from my house but have never tried Tabasco steak sauce. I will give it a try.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thinking about it, I love steak as well, and we eat it at home, very often. Perhaps so often that the addition of steak sauce changes the taste enough to make it more palatable. We have a close friend who is a butcher who supplies us with "no roll" ribeyes, which are sold uncut, in the case which weighs 75-80 pounds m/l. I just ordered a case yesterday. Just talked to him, they are here today. Usually very good meat. Pass the sauce, please. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

gredients
15 m

I'm going to try this. I looked it up and it has an interesting history. Thanks for posting about it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
the last best steak we had here was some butterfly cut deer steaks seasoned in the fold and outside of the steak with BULLSHIT steak seasoning and a little worchestershire sauce and slow cooked in the crockpot with cream of mushroom soup
for several hours........ i bought the bullshit seasoning from an old friend of mine who goes from event to event around my area with a big trailer full of odds and end vendor stuff to sell...... actually the stuff is the best steak and meat seasoning i've ever had.... address on the lable says it's from big cock ranch lexington texas www.specialshit.com...............

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

gredients
15 m

Well being the steak lover and minimalist (“All I want is the best of everything and there's very little of that left.”―Cecil Beaton) that I am, I was searching online for pickled walnuts to make above sauce. Pickled walnuts are in real shortage in NE TX, if WALMART doesn't have them, we don't have them. Indeed, prior to the quoted posting I had never heard of them. I've got some, untasted as of yet, now. ?To my surprise I found a source foe authentic Bain's Steak Sauce, albeit somewhat expensive at $10/8 oz bottle or about 3x my favorite, London Pub. Folllowing impressions are mine, for my tastes and I I'll be the first to admit that I don't like sweet sauces and Henry Bain's is sweet, way too sweet for me to like it. I didn't, AT ALL. Sugar is the number one ingredient listed. If you like sweet sauces, this one may be perfect for you. Somewhat like a sweet A1. Too sweet for a grilled steak IMO, possibly great on chicken. If I was making it from recipe, I'd hold the sweets down. Now what to do with 3 bottles of pickled walnuts?

Without tasting a home made version, I'd add more hot sauce, and hold back the sweet chutney, for sure.Possibly, judiciously, adding a bit of vinegar. Or you can buy some London Pub.

Henry Bain's by Bourbon Barrel Foods--Not recommended. 2/5.0

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I make is not sweet at all. I'd send you a bottle the next time I make it.

Ive never had the store bought stuff.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The sauce I had is approved by the Pendennis club, where it was invented, so it must be close.

At any rate, I'd love a bottle of your mixture. Let me know and I'll PM you my address. Frankly, I don't see how it can not be sweet with all that chutney in it.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deal. I grew up going to the pendennis club. I'll get some of it and try it. There is also a chance the recipe I have in storage is deifferent than the one I posted in hastse.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny, as I read your post I am sitting here eating a leftover dinner my wife fixed me, sliced ribeye, smothered deer fried steak and a bacon potato salad she makes which is great, All slathered with tobasco steak sauce. Life is good.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Gato,I agree. I love the Tabasco steak sauce but then again I use regular tabasco on my eggs in the morning as well. Another use I have found for Heinz 57 sauce is to use it in lieu of tomato paste in your meatloaf,makes a killer loaf with a bite.I use Pepperidge farms dressing instead of oatmeal + it is damned good.Other than that + your own spicing,it stays just about the same.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HOT really goes well with eggs. Simply because I bought a case of it at a country auction we used to have up here I have grown to love sriracha sauce on nearly everything, but especially something with eggs.

Highly recommended. 4.5/5.0

xxxxxxxxxx

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I make my own, on the spot.

lime or lemon juice, Tabasco and Soya sauce.

Absolutely delicious, and nothing beats it.

Especially when having a steak with baked potatoes!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66937 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Charlie, care to share the bacon potato salad recipe? That sounds really good.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BillG:

I'm going to give you my best shot on my wife's potato salad. Here is the original recipe from Southern Living magazine, but be aware that my wife is genetically incapable of following a recipe exactly, she always does something different. For instance, this recipe calls for blue cheese, which I love, but after the first time, it had no blue cheese but was still excellent. Hers is basically boiled, cut up russet potaotes, cooked fairly firm, sliced onions cooked translucent in olive oil, with cut up bacon, all mixed with mayo with some dijon mustard. Adding in some of the bacon grease helps. Use your imagination and you can leave almost anything out of the following and it will still be good. Like most things, the more bacon the better. She does not grill the potatoes as called for, boiling them instead, or cooking them like a baked potato, since that adds a fairly complicated extra step. We are into simple around here. As mentioned above, don't cook the potatoes too much or they will mush when you try to slice them.

3 pounds baby red potatoes, cut in half
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
*2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled

How to Make It

Step 1
Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Place potatoes in a single layer in center of a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bring up foil sides over potatoes; double fold top and side edges to seal, making 1 large packet.
Step 2
Grill potatoes, in foil packet, covered with grill lid, 15 minutes on each side. Remove packet from grill. Carefully open packet, using tongs, and let potatoes cool 5 minutes.
Step 3
Whisk together mayonnaise and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; add potatoes, tossing gently to coat. Stir in onion, blue cheese, and bacon.
Step 4
*Balsamic vinegar may be substituted but will darken the color of the dressing.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that recipe, Charlie. I might add a couple of hard-boiled eggs, just 'cause I love them in a spud salad.
Saved and printed and into the recipe folder it goes.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I read everything above and all I can say is my mouth is watering like a Pavlovian dog's. You guys are killing me! I guess steaks will have to be on the menu this week.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
I like my steaks black and blue and with just S&P

End of statement.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
For me its a rib steak and it has to have the bone in and close to prime. done on a hot grill 1" thick 3 min on each side. melted butter a shake of worchestire and garlic salt. bast the steak when you turn it and dab a little on the other side when you take it off the grill.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like meat, no sauce, just salt and pepper..If its flank or fajitas or deer then I add Peco de Gallo, the spice of life..A big glass of ice tea, that being the nector of the Gods to this old Texas cowboy..Folks in Idaho aren't addicted to ice tea and coffee, strange!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote