New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poor Man's Blaser K-95 (PICS)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A while ago, I bought a Brno ZBK-110 single shot for $150 shipped from a member here as something to play with. I don't know how many of you are familiar with it (as I wasn't before I stumbled on this one), but it's a modestly built and furnished break-open single shot as seen here:

As you can see, they’re kind of homely little things (VAnimrod described it to me as a “Euro-handy”), and the scaled-down little shotgun action’s capability is described by a list of factory chamberings that tops out with the .222 and 5.6x52R (.22 Savage Hi-Power).

Anyway, as a truly nice kipplauf rifle is beyond my means for the time being, I wanted to see what I might do to help me pretend while stalking squirrels, turkey, deer, and everything in between with this one. Here’s a list of some of the changes as well as some before and after pictures.

• I replaced the .22 hornet barrel with a new Shilen 10-twist .25 cal barrel and chambered it for the 6.5x52R (25-35). This choice, incidentally, was based on the fact that I wanted to chase deer, and I like the stories that Mr. Ray Atkinson tells about his.

• I carved a stock set out of a $100 Fleabay blank… yeah, the American walnut doesn’t quite go, but to be honest, I’m still learning the differences. There’s a couple coats of oil on now, but more will follow to fill the grain before checkering.

• I made a quarter rib with provisions for folding rear sight and some old Stith 7/8” vertically-split scope rings. The scope is a 22mm 2.5x Kurz by Hensoldt and measures a little over 6” long.

• Smallest ID NECG front sight contoured to match rib.

• Recontoured lever to better suit my tastes.

• Installed forearm iron and latch to make it a take-down

I tuned the crude shotgun style trigger as best I could, and was very pleased to have the first 25 break-in shots average about ¾ MOA with cleaning in-between. It matches my tastes a bit better now, and I think it will become a neat “woods-loafing” rifle. I may even make a fitted takedown case for it.

Posts: 215 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A wonderful project and great skill. Thanks for posting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Extraordinary! Shows what skill and attention can do. That is a remarkable piece of re-engineering...congratulations, and my deepest appreciation.

Dennis

Posts: 119 | Location: Ketchikan, AK USA | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I am impressed.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3066 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Ian

That is fantastic.

Rich

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You did good!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm flattered by your kind comments and encouragement. I'm no kind of gunsmith or anything, just tinkering as a distraction on those weeknights when my wife tries to get me to watch some reality TV show with her. Different things appeal to different people, but it's definately a treat to hear that some other folks think it turned out too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It really is all in the details. Very nice job!!

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work. Would you have any interest in doing one for me? Smiler

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Forget the silk purse, you've made a Prada bag out of a sow's ear.
Very nice! Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Now THAT, is a single shot.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Really nice work and the nicest piece of $100 wood I've seen off of ebay. Congratulations.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cliff,

I'm more than a little flattered that you'd even inquire Smiler The truth is, I have an image in my mind of what a real rifle builder/maker is in terms of requisit experience and the total level of responsability entailed, and I'm simply no where close. It just wouldn't be fair to you or anyone else for me to continue the steep part of the learning curve on your rifle when this is only the second rifle I've put a file to or second pile of sawdust I've made. If you ever catch them in one of these photos, my soft pink hands will give away the fact that I don't work with them regularly (not to mention my relatively young age). Some day though I hope. Reading the kind words from the likes of you and the others that I've come to respect the oppinions of here has certainly got me enthused to seek out another learning project.

Gatogordo... this was my second blank (first was E-bay as well) and it was so large and thick compared to the actual final size of the stock (relatively petite) that it was really easy to "cherry pick" the best of it... giving a bit of a better impression than if it was made into a full-size one-piece stock.

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Ian, you sound wise beyond your years and I appreciate your honesty. Continue doing what you are doing and stay focused as you are now and fairly soon we will be able to say "I knew him before he got famous".
Keep us posted on your projects.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian,

Talking about transforming and ungly duck! You have certainly pulled it off. The original was really offensive to look at. your upgraded version looks better than the Blaser K95 you mention. Very nice job. Congrats.

LUX

Posts: 205 | Location: Mt . Orab OHIO | Registered: 12 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LUX:
Ian,

Talking about transforming and ungly duck! You have certainly pulled it off. The original was really offensive to look at. your upgraded version looks better than the Blaser K95 you mention. Very nice job. Congrats.

LUX

Not quite a K95, but very nice work, good luck and it sounds like it's a shooter.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 839 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Second gun... Dont stop there, you have some real talent. I'd be proud to call that one mine also!
And... Nice photo work.
Thanks for sharing / Enjoy

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like that just fine !
You gonna try your hand at checkering the stock ?
Thats nice wood and a nicely checkerd stock would be an asset.
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, you should be proud. You'll have some fun with that pretty rifle, I think.

Best luck with it,

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me add my appreciation of your workmanship!

You have made a fine job of work on that piece - ending up with something of beauty! Smiler

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! The icing on the cake would be a high polish blue job. Way cool!

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Professional looking job for sure. What's that about the proverbial sow's ear?

Steve E.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ian: You made perfect decisions on everything, form materials and shaping to the choice of caliber. What a fine rifle and inspiring post. Thank you.
Please follow up on field performance when you get a chance to "woods loaf" with it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian- I am sorry to ask this of you but could you tell me how you reworked the area between the stock and the action,

I belive judgding from the pics that you show, lovely pics btw, that you have reshaped the metal a bit to provide a more positive fit between wood and metal.

I hope that you can help be out here a bit.

Best regards Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Chris,

all I did was mill off the "fat" at the back of the reciever without removing any functional length of the locking bar's mortice and then ran a 60-degree, 1.375" dovetail cutter about .150" deep in a ways to create a mortice for the corresponding curves of wood to reside. That 60-degree angle keeps what might otherwise be a rather fragle (~.150" thick) tennon of walnut nice and snug when the through-bolt is tightened up. Reduced some weight and got to cover one of the trigger group pins.

Are you tinkering with one of these as well? Best of luck to you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ian,

no I am not yet playing with one of these, however seeing your work I have a few ideas that I would like to adress.

Best regards Chris

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
VERY NICE! thumb
Have you been able to spend any range time with it yet?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It always amazes me to see these amateurs, (non professionals)whether on cars, or woodworking, sculpting, gunsmithing, etc., turn out these beautiful works of art, then think they "don't quite have what it takes." Bull. My hat is off to you, kid.

Posts: 15806 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote