The Accurate Reloading Forums
Poor Man's Blaser K-95 (PICS)

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9421043/m/662108199

22 December 2008, 08:57
Ian (VA)
Poor Man's Blaser K-95 (PICS)
A while ago, I bought a Brno ZBK-110 single shot for $150 shipped from a member here as something to play with. I don't know how many of you are familiar with it (as I wasn't before I stumbled on this one), but it's a modestly built and furnished break-open single shot as seen here:

As you can see, they’re kind of homely little things (VAnimrod described it to me as a “Euro-handy”), and the scaled-down little shotgun action’s capability is described by a list of factory chamberings that tops out with the .222 and 5.6x52R (.22 Savage Hi-Power).

Anyway, as a truly nice kipplauf rifle is beyond my means for the time being, I wanted to see what I might do to help me pretend while stalking squirrels, turkey, deer, and everything in between with this one. Here’s a list of some of the changes as well as some before and after pictures.

• I replaced the .22 hornet barrel with a new Shilen 10-twist .25 cal barrel and chambered it for the 6.5x52R (25-35). This choice, incidentally, was based on the fact that I wanted to chase deer, and I like the stories that Mr. Ray Atkinson tells about his.

• I carved a stock set out of a $100 Fleabay blank… yeah, the American walnut doesn’t quite go, but to be honest, I’m still learning the differences. There’s a couple coats of oil on now, but more will follow to fill the grain before checkering.

• I made a quarter rib with provisions for folding rear sight and some old Stith 7/8” vertically-split scope rings. The scope is a 22mm 2.5x Kurz by Hensoldt and measures a little over 6” long.

• Smallest ID NECG front sight contoured to match rib.

• Recontoured lever to better suit my tastes.

• Installed forearm iron and latch to make it a take-down

I tuned the crude shotgun style trigger as best I could, and was very pleased to have the first 25 break-in shots average about ¾ MOA with cleaning in-between. It matches my tastes a bit better now, and I think it will become a neat “woods-loafing” rifle. I may even make a fitted takedown case for it.

22 December 2008, 09:16
gwahir
A wonderful project and great skill. Thanks for posting.
22 December 2008, 10:02
muledeer
Extraordinary! Shows what skill and attention can do. That is a remarkable piece of re-engineering...congratulations, and my deepest appreciation.

Dennis
22 December 2008, 12:17
cal30 1906
I am impressed.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!
22 December 2008, 18:52
richj
Ian

That is fantastic.

Rich
22 December 2008, 19:53
OLBIKER
You did good!!!! Big Grin
23 December 2008, 05:04
Ian (VA)
I'm flattered by your kind comments and encouragement. I'm no kind of gunsmith or anything, just tinkering as a distraction on those weeknights when my wife tries to get me to watch some reality TV show with her. Different things appeal to different people, but it's definately a treat to hear that some other folks think it turned out too.
23 December 2008, 06:06
Bailey Bradshaw
It really is all in the details. Very nice job!!

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin
25 December 2008, 23:40
Cliff Lyle
Beautiful work. Would you have any interest in doing one for me? Smiler
26 December 2008, 01:19
Rick R
Forget the silk purse, you've made a Prada bag out of a sow's ear.
Very nice! Big Grin
26 December 2008, 02:57
Code4
Now THAT, is a single shot.
26 December 2008, 04:34
Gatogordo
Really nice work and the nicest piece of $100 wood I've seen off of ebay. Congratulations.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.
26 December 2008, 07:34
Ian (VA)
Cliff,

I'm more than a little flattered that you'd even inquire Smiler The truth is, I have an image in my mind of what a real rifle builder/maker is in terms of requisit experience and the total level of responsability entailed, and I'm simply no where close. It just wouldn't be fair to you or anyone else for me to continue the steep part of the learning curve on your rifle when this is only the second rifle I've put a file to or second pile of sawdust I've made. If you ever catch them in one of these photos, my soft pink hands will give away the fact that I don't work with them regularly (not to mention my relatively young age). Some day though I hope. Reading the kind words from the likes of you and the others that I've come to respect the oppinions of here has certainly got me enthused to seek out another learning project.

Gatogordo... this was my second blank (first was E-bay as well) and it was so large and thick compared to the actual final size of the stock (relatively petite) that it was really easy to "cherry pick" the best of it... giving a bit of a better impression than if it was made into a full-size one-piece stock.
26 December 2008, 17:10
Cliff Lyle
Ian, you sound wise beyond your years and I appreciate your honesty. Continue doing what you are doing and stay focused as you are now and fairly soon we will be able to say "I knew him before he got famous".
Keep us posted on your projects.
26 December 2008, 18:18
LUX
Ian,

Talking about transforming and ungly duck! You have certainly pulled it off. The original was really offensive to look at. your upgraded version looks better than the Blaser K95 you mention. Very nice job. Congrats.

LUX

http://www.luxusarms.com/
27 December 2008, 06:06
f224
quote:
Originally posted by LUX:
Ian,

Talking about transforming and ungly duck! You have certainly pulled it off. The original was really offensive to look at. your upgraded version looks better than the Blaser K95 you mention. Very nice job. Congrats.

LUX

Not quite a K95, but very nice work, good luck and it sounds like it's a shooter.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com
31 December 2008, 04:39
srtrax
Second gun... Dont stop there, you have some real talent. I'd be proud to call that one mine also!
And... Nice photo work.
Thanks for sharing / Enjoy

31 December 2008, 05:05
Thomas Jones
I like that just fine !
You gonna try your hand at checkering the stock ?
Thats nice wood and a nicely checkerd stock would be an asset.
...tj3006

freedom1st
31 December 2008, 07:01
JPK
Very nice, you should be proud. You'll have some fun with that pretty rifle, I think.

Best luck with it,

JPK

Free 500grains
02 January 2009, 01:49
IanF
Let me add my appreciation of your workmanship!

You have made a fine job of work on that piece - ending up with something of beauty! Smiler

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........
08 January 2009, 01:59
Moorepower
Wow! The icing on the cake would be a high polish blue job. Way cool!
15 January 2009, 04:36
Steve E.
Professional looking job for sure. What's that about the proverbial sow's ear?

Steve E.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran
17 January 2009, 17:56
Bill/Oregon
Ian: You made perfect decisions on everything, form materials and shaping to the choice of caliber. What a fine rifle and inspiring post. Thank you.
Please follow up on field performance when you get a chance to "woods loaf" with it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author
30 January 2009, 14:55
Husqvarna M98
Ian- I am sorry to ask this of you but could you tell me how you reworked the area between the stock and the action,

I belive judgding from the pics that you show, lovely pics btw, that you have reshaped the metal a bit to provide a more positive fit between wood and metal.

I hope that you can help be out here a bit.

Best regards Chris
30 January 2009, 18:35
Ian (VA)
Hi Chris,

all I did was mill off the "fat" at the back of the reciever without removing any functional length of the locking bar's mortice and then ran a 60-degree, 1.375" dovetail cutter about .150" deep in a ways to create a mortice for the corresponding curves of wood to reside. That 60-degree angle keeps what might otherwise be a rather fragle (~.150" thick) tennon of walnut nice and snug when the through-bolt is tightened up. Reduced some weight and got to cover one of the trigger group pins.

Are you tinkering with one of these as well? Best of luck to you.
01 February 2009, 03:14
Husqvarna M98
Hi Ian,

no I am not yet playing with one of these, however seeing your work I have a few ideas that I would like to adress.

Best regards Chris
06 February 2009, 09:33
Bobby Tomek
VERY NICE! thumb
Have you been able to spend any range time with it yet?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

07 February 2009, 09:37
wymple
It always amazes me to see these amateurs, (non professionals)whether on cars, or woodworking, sculpting, gunsmithing, etc., turn out these beautiful works of art, then think they "don't quite have what it takes." Bull. My hat is off to you, kid.