THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Browning B-78 with "Traditional" Animal Engravings

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning B-78 with "Traditional" Animal Engravings
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted
Here is a Browning 78 in "traditional" US styling. It has been engraved with skulls of a bison and a wild sheep. The pictures do not do the engravings justice. They are much more detailed than you can see, with rings on the horns and cracks on the skulls. The engraving is unsigned and I do not know who the engraver was. If you happen to know then please share the information.

Caliber is .45-70 and, other than the engraving, the rifle is standard. I thought the curved buttplate would be a killer but it is actually quite pleasant to shoot with 300gr factory loads. No, I won't be trying any magnumized 45-70 loads.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem with those SS rifles is that that big flat space begs for a creature or two. I added my own ,keeping it simple , within my skills and I've been happy with it ever since !! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that crescent butt-plate leaves a mark when you touch it off with higher end loads.

Nice gun!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle with equally nice engraving and inlays. congrats!!

Years ago I had that same rifle, sans engraving, and enjoyed it. Being a Shiloh Sharps nut at the time it went down the road for something else. Kinda regretted it ever since as I've always admired the lines....and the cartridge ain't no slouch either.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote