The Accurate Reloading Forums
Browning B-78 with "Traditional" Animal Engravings

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9421043/m/1751090602

27 November 2014, 02:37
Grenadier
Browning B-78 with "Traditional" Animal Engravings
Here is a Browning 78 in "traditional" US styling. It has been engraved with skulls of a bison and a wild sheep. The pictures do not do the engravings justice. They are much more detailed than you can see, with rings on the horns and cracks on the skulls. The engraving is unsigned and I do not know who the engraver was. If you happen to know then please share the information.

Caliber is .45-70 and, other than the engraving, the rifle is standard. I thought the curved buttplate would be a killer but it is actually quite pleasant to shoot with 300gr factory loads. No, I won't be trying any magnumized 45-70 loads.

27 November 2014, 03:29
mete
The problem with those SS rifles is that that big flat space begs for a creature or two. I added my own ,keeping it simple , within my skills and I've been happy with it ever since !! Smiler
27 November 2014, 04:42
JDA-CO
I'm guessing that crescent butt-plate leaves a mark when you touch it off with higher end loads.

Nice gun!

The AV8R's
27 November 2014, 15:10
9.3 X 75R
Nice rifle with equally nice engraving and inlays. congrats!!

Years ago I had that same rifle, sans engraving, and enjoyed it. Being a Shiloh Sharps nut at the time it went down the road for something else. Kinda regretted it ever since as I've always admired the lines....and the cartridge ain't no slouch either.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it