New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope ring lapping
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How much inconsistancy can lapping remov? I have a rifle that the bases are a good .10" off.
I've heard of bedding the bases concentrically in epoxy instead of lapping when they are really off.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a bunch of OFF. .10 is almost 1/8",are you sure?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
JK is right of course; lapping ain't going to correct that error. Lapping is only to true up the rings a few thousandths.
You have to redrill the receiver, or you can elongate the holes in the offending base and move it into alignment; then epoxy it or solder it in place. Move one base to match the other; best the rear one.
Or use a one piece Redfield/Leupold base and hope it is straight enough to zero your scope.

Posts: 17107 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about buying blank bases and have Jim Kobe drill them to match your receiver?

Posts: 790 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the bases off side to side, or is height the issue?

If side to side, get blank bases and drill them to suit.

If height is the issue, either shim the low one or machine them to to suit. This is easy on a round receiver (like a Remington 700), harder on some others.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Howdy -- what action, what bases? which directions are they off? is the ACTION off, s to speak - like a badly ground front ring on a mauser, or are the off set, you a roll axis?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Problem in the bases? fit the bases to the receiver square to the world...I do that with most of my rifles that have QD rings..I center the cross hairs to the scopes focal plane usually by turning the adjustments from start to finish, then going half way back, that centers them..then cut the bases to fit that, usually finish by hand..I want the gun to zero in the center of the adjustments...When a gun zeros at the end of the adjustments your not in the center of the focal plane, and the scope tends to fail in several ways such as it won't hold its zero well as a rule and the brightness is less as is the field of view..

Actual lapping of scope rings is in many cases over done and the rings can no long snug up the scope and the gun won't hold its zero..A piece of 400 grt. paper wet, will take of the edge ever so lightly on the rings edges to prevent scope marking, and that will work..I avoid scope lapping like a plague.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have to lap the rings, something is wrong. The bases have to be level and aligned with the bore. After that it's all downhill.

dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over-lapping is a whole different thing than light lapping to allow scope mounting w/o marking or scratching the tube. It's never to actually "align" the scope mounts/rings, scope... or shouldn't be.

If you "avoid" lapping, it's because you or some gorilla over-did it. Pretty simple

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gents for the guidance.
It sounds like the receiver needs a gunsmith. The holes are way off.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It sounds like the receiver needs a gunsmith. The holes are way off.

If the rifle is new, ask for a refund or replacement.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very true Lapping is to clean the edges only and that can be done with our finger and some 400 grt. paper IMO, but lapping done properly is a good thing..Only thing is its a much abuse process..

I usually surface grind the action receiver or have it done for $50. then hand fit the bases and that way all is square to the world..It works especailly on QD mounting systems as to return to zero..clean the rings edges with 400 grit..and blue..Its worth the extra on a hunting rifle to help hold its zero is another plus. It also keeps the cross hairs zero in the center of the scopes focal plane or the adjustments location.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote