Find
Notify
Tools

Scrubbing lead and .22 relining
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted
I recently acquired a Hopkins & Allen 922 .22LR rifle. Very good condition for its age, but not surprisingly the barrel is almost devoid of rifling, whether that is from being leaded up or corrosive ammo, I'm not sure yet. The rifle flings bullets all over with no regard to where you're pointing it.

What's your favorite method for scrubbing a .22 barrel of lead? And if the rifling is indeed beyond hope, who is reputable for relining a .22?

Thanks, Heath

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Foul Out works like a charm. I have used it on badly lead and copper fouled bores for more than 20 years.

It uses a steel rod that is electroplated with the fouling.

Truth is, few bores are so badly fouled as to warrant its use. But it sure works when warranted.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had a problem with lead in a .22 rimfire barrel but have in centerfire barrels.

I have found Kroil worked better than anything else that I have ever tried !

Hip

Posts: 1823 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i take the rifle out of the stock, and use foaming bore scrubber, several times, with the bore in a can .. usually put some in every couple hours.. the residue IS TOXIC, as you are intentionally removing lead..

foaming bore cleaner, let sit awhile, bronze bore brush.. repeat 3-4 time, check the bore

https://www.amazon.com/Birchwo...oaming/dp/B00AU67FCK

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A tight patch and turpentine.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Worn 22 barrels are primarily the result of improper cleaning rod use or old-time corrosive ammo. I only clean my .22's from the breach end with one-piece rods; and only after 500 or so firings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heath,
I had the same model a few yrs back and it was not worth the cleaning. I ordered a 22 barrel liner and installed the liner along with making a new link to make a tight block fit. That old action is one of the best to rebuild in 22LR.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies gentlemen! This is an old gun made somewhere between 1887 and 1915 so corrosive ammo is almost a certainty. Les, did you install the liner yourself? I have done a bit of minor repairs on firearms, but nothing like drilling 20" though a barrel. Thankfully the block is nice and tight, the action snappy, extractor in good order, and generally the rifle is in good shape... now if it would just shoot straight!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been looking everywhere for an 8mm liner drill........brownells is out of stock for a while.

Anyone have one they want to sell?

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have installed several over the yrs and it is best to use a lathe for the drilling the old barrel out. I have made my own drill and reamer to make the hole smoother to push the liner down into the reamed barrel. I have drilled these out by making a barrel support board and about three guide blocks to keep the drill lined up on the barrel and using a 1/2 slow speed drill motor. You need to be sure that all is in line so there is no binding of the drilling. You have to make all of the tooling first. Buy a new drill close to the diameter you need. High speed 3.12 dia. drill bits can be drilled from the chucking end. I use a 1/4 inch rod 1018 steel 3-4 inches longer then needed rod. Use a silver solder of high heat and not the light solder to hold the rod into the bit for about 1 inch. I have used epoxy and also silver solder the liners in place. Cut the chamber and crown. They always shot good for a good plinker. You should have a few inches of the liner left over. I have used the pieces to repair an old 22 lr that had been snapped too much on empty chamber burring the chamber badly. I drill out the chamber end to the length of .500. Use a piece of the liner a little longer so that when you silver solder the short liner in place that no solder get inside the liner. The liner must be tight against the old barrel so that you don't have gap inside for powder to fill. I hope you aren't too confused . When making the drill I grind the diameter of the bore size for the pilot end and make sure the the cutting edge is square to the drill and the pilot will keep it going smooth and you drill the old barrel.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Mr. Brooks.

Anyone got an 8mm liner drill they wanna sell?

I am No where near the craftsman you are Sir!

I see that one can be rented, but I'd much rather buy one.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JTEX, PM sent

Posts: 173 | Location: Texas | Registered: 01 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apologies for hijacking this thread, But please can you provide a bit more detail on the drill / reamer used. I have a Rook Rifle that has been bored out to 410, that i would like to reline to 22 Hornet. I was thinking of using an expanding reamer rather than a drill. Lothar Walther make a 22 Hornet barrel with either a 10mm or 12 mm OD for this purpose.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote