Find
Notify
Tools

Two Old Rusted Mosin Nagant Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted
Top one is now a 45-70 and bottom is a 375 Flanged Mag. Good Hog and bear killers.

Posts: 17114 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh please don't tease us like this. You have to share details on how you did it. Do I spy a Rem 700 ADL/'17 Enfield trigger guard?

Posts: 3677 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Oh, yeah, I used your rust blue too. Trigger guards are 1917 Enfields. Ramrod turned the stocks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are the stocks made of?

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Black Walnut, Juglans Nigra. I didn't use any stain on these; they are au naturel.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Well done!

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I thought your .375 was the Nitro Express version, aka 2-1/2". But I see it's for the full magnum flanged round. Is that a single feed or have you gotten it to work with the magazine?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting work for sure does the 45-70 have a ruger no 1 barrel?

Posts: 19378 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work. The stocks are fantastic. I didn't know Eastern Black Walnut would finish like that.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Those look very nice. You do good work. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The 375 is a single shot; no way it would work in a Mosin magazine. Yes the 45-70 has a Ruger barrel. The wood ls slightly darker than in the pics; I had to lighten it some to get rid of the shadows.
Moving the bolt handle back is a bit time consuming too. But is the only way to get a real scope mount on it. Unless you have some Mannlicher claw mounts that cost more than the rifles.

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Not to appear too ignorant, but what is the difference between the .375 Flanged Magnum NE and the .375 H&H?

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The flange was a touch longer. Loaded to a lower pressure and had the rim instead of a belt. I would "assume" the Flange was more for the older SXS. Then the H&H came along and they added the belt for head spacing. There is also a 2.5" flanged version.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Brother is my mind going. I knew the H&H was a belted magnum. Have no idea what I was thinking.

Thanks.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The only reason for the 375 Flanged Mag here is the cool factor. It would have been just as easy to make it H&H, and brass is easier to get. The flanged version was for double rifles and has a pressure of around 40,000 psi. Slightly lower velocities. The Flanged rim fits perfectly into the Mosin bolt, but the H&H,slightly smaller head, will work too. As Ram said the belted case was developed for bolt actions and they raised the pressure in the process. The first belted case was a 400-375; they developed the belt because cartridge designers at the turn of the century thought that a long tapered case was best. We now know that was a less than perfect idea.

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Norma brass is about $3.20 per piece for the flanged. Not the most expensive I've ever bought but getting up there. Norma for the H&H is less than half and some brands can be had for less than a third.

Still, there is the cool factor or we could all just use .30-06 and hand load.

Dave

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Grafs has the Norma for $2.92 and Jamison for $2.40. Hmmm single shot can see needing more than a box. You won't lose it and low pressure will last forever.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I try to buy everything I can from Graf & Sons. On brass, dies and a lot of other stuff they have a flat rate shipping charge. Low enough that it pretty hard to beat. I just got some 7x57 and .458 SOCOM components from them. They also do pretty good in the powder and primer area. I have been happy as a pig in slop with there customer service.

One box should last me the rest of my life in this and several other calibers.

Disclaimer.
THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR GRAF & SONS.

Figured I'd better slip that in.

Dave

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

rotflmo I've used Grafs for 50+ years. I was born and raised in Mexico, MO bought my first shotgun before I could even drive from Grafs when they were only in an old gas station. Now that I go home to see family I stop with a long shopping list. Their in store price is basically the same as online. Only swap shipping for sales tax.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the bolt handle looks great from here -- well done, sir!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38467 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Thanks; I assume you mean the moved one and not the Mannlicher one. Which is easy; moving them is a pain.

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:

rotflmo I've used Grafs for 50+ years. I was born and raised in Mexico, MO bought my first shotgun before I could even drive from Grafs when they were only in an old gas station. Now that I go home to see family I stop with a long shopping list. Their in store price is basically the same as online. Only swap shipping for sales tax.

Were you a product of the Mexico Military Academy? I almost took the job as Commandant there many years ago. Sometimes wish I had.

Dave

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Were you a product of the Mexico Military Academy

Not me!! Those poor guys had it tough. They pretty much stuck to themselves. A few girls from HS would date them. The rest of us probably didn't treat them all that well. Frowner

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boy those are neat. Like the butter-knife bolt handle, too.

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Thanks; I assume you mean the moved one and not the Mannlicher one. Which is easy; moving them is a pain.

Care to share? I haven't held a mosin is years. Trying to remember the placement.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Very very cool. how does the top mount work on the bottom one.

wait, you moved the bolt handle back !!!

Posts: 6393 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Don, if you look at the pics, the upper one has the Mannlicher bolt handle (one of yours) in the middle of the bolt, as normal for factory bolt handle placement. But, that makes it impossible to mount a scope like on a Mauser as it has a split bridge. So, solution is to cut the bolt handle off and install one to the rear of the bridge, which you welded on; to make a place to put the Leopold one piece scope mount on. Simple to describe but is more work than anyone should put into a Mosin. Except for me.