THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Price for removing cosmoline from rifle and stock?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Price for removing cosmoline from rifle and stock?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ray Fryar
posted
Helo all, could some of you guys give me an idea of what it should cost to have the cosmoline removed from an Yugo SKS rifle and stock and then finish the stock? thanks for any input.

Ray
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you are actually going to send this to a gunsmith to have it done, it will cost $250.
I highly recommend doing it yourself; buy a gallon of Xylene for $12; that will remove everything. The stock can then be stained and finished any way you want; originals are cheap varnish.
Or if you want a slower method, buy TSP. Or boil the whole thing in soapy water.
All the ones I have had were not covered with actual cosmoline; just cheap grease.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back when I was deep into milsurps, I built a 16”x 16” x 4’ box that opened at the top with a trap door on one side at the bottom. A drip pan was placed in the bottom to catch the cosmoline. The inside was lined with foil and it had three light bulbs inside. Stocks and barreled action were inserted from the top and suspended be a cross board.

It sounds complex, but it really worked great.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I do NOT advocate this to anyone but it works. We would immerse the pieces in tubs of regular gasoline + then scrub them down. It worked + fast (damned dangerous too). The boiling method will keep you there forever, but then you might still be alive.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh hell, when I was 15, bought an Eddystone from a big stack of crates for $15. Wrapped in paper, full of cosmoline, even the bore.

Spent at least most of a day with a paint brush
and pan of gas. Then the headspace was too loose.

Took it back to the store and the nice man told me
to pick out another one just like it. Then gave me
100 rounds of ball ammo for cleaning the first one. Then had to do it all over a gain with it.

I still have the second rifle.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back when SKS's were cheap I removed a lot of cosmoline from many.

I would say if I were going to do it for pay.

At least $100.00. Price could very well be dependent on oh well I liked you.

But then as a retire old fart I have time on my hands.

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Gasoline is the universal solvent; I use it often for jeep parts. since 1960. Ain't blowed up yet.
Headspace is touchy to measure on Enfields because they have cammed locking lug abutments; so they are very easy to close on a no go gauge. And actually, it is the field reject gauge that determines serviceability. Too late now though.
I used to buy military rifles right through the mail, before 1968. I would set them in the sun and let the grease melt off.
Also, don't forget the OP wanted his stock refinished as well, so that has to be added into the price; hence my price of $250.
Send it to me.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
diesel works pretty well on metal parts - not quite as explosive as gas, and no acid added to it

the stock? well, it depends on what you want to do with it afterwards .. cirtistrip will do it, but you will be refinishing the stock if you use it

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember being told by my old ROTC armorer that "the cure" for cosmoline was pressurized steam, as in taking it to a steam line and hosing it off with that.

He took new sent rifles for the rifle team to the NG armory and hosed them down with a steam line from the heating plant... then hosed them down with WD 40 and handed them to the students and had us clean them with break free.

Seemed to work well.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
....ROTC armorer .. He took new sent rifles for the rifle team .

NEW rotc rifles? you are lucky .. my mossberg 144 (ls?) had zero blue left ... but a fine trigger!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I'm glad others confirmed my comment on gasoline. I know it works but would not want to be responsible (or liable) for anyones misuse +/or injury for anything I posted. Who knows these days?!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer low odor mineral spirits. First though I use an old credit card to scrape off as much of the grease that I can. Then I push it out of the gas tube with a wet patch. Once done I pour the MS in a plastic spray bottle with a controlled nozzle. Then I spray and wipe with paper towels until clean. Doesn't take long at all.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stock may not be able to be refinished if that's been covered in cosmolene as well, I've seen some where it had thoroughly soaked deep into the wood grain...