New
Find
Notify
Tools

First for me, 700 Rem with Mauser Extractor
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Was at my buddies shop the other day. Was showing him a Remington of mine with a custom bolt. He said let me show you a custom bolt. He pulled an old Remington out of his safe. It was a customer rifle he was putting a brake on or something.

He pulled bolt out and it had a very well done Mauser extractor. He was not sure who did it, but it was well done thats for sure.

Looks like it would have to be an older style 700, that didnt have to bolt slot. Not sure it would woudl be practical when you could just start with a Mauser but it was nice thats for sure.

Anybody ever seen a Remington with a Mauser extractor, it was a first for me.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only Remington I've seen with a Mauser extractor is my (Remington) 1903 Springfield, and it's twins. That sounds really cool. Would love to see a picture.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the 1980's both Chet Brown and Butch Searcy offered this conversion.
JW

Posts: 1429 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about the Remington Model 30?

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:

Made on the Enfield tooling by Remington, so it is an Enfield.

Posts: 1449 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should have taken a picture of it.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I've done it and put claw extractors on post 64 Model 70s too. I used Ruger extractors. Have to slot the receiver, using a shaper. Not worth the effort but they look cool.
No, 1903s and Rem 30/720, don't count.
It does void the safety features of the bolt face though, as do the
Sako and M16 conversions.

Posts: 17107 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:
quote:

Made on the Enfield tooling by Remington, so it is an Enfield.

I realize that as I used to have a Model 30 Express in 30-06. My point was there are quite a few hunters and even younger collectors that don’t know the history of either Remington, Mauser or Enfield. If the rifle has Remington stamped on it then……?

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I've done it and put claw extractors on post 64 Model 70s too. I used Ruger extractors. Have to slot the receiver, using a shaper. Not worth the effort but they look cool.
No, 1903s and Rem 30/720, don't count.
It does void the safety features of the bolt face though, as do the
Sako and M16 conversions.
That interrupted cut with a shaper ought to get real interesting, real fast! I have set-up and run shapers in the past (when I was much younger!). The one I used the most was a 'floor' model John Steptoe, and it preferred a steady cut. Cutting a 700, with the ejection port already cut out, might require 2 set-ups. Be a unique conversion to alter for a claw extractor, but hardly worth in, IMO. If the client was willing to actually pay for that conversion, well,,, who knows?

Posts: 677 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

yep..

Billy, like Keith's 458 and 375

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I ground a cutter from HSS the radius of the receiver right ways, and welded that to a bar that fit the bolt holes. It was slow. I don't want to do any more no matter what the price. Ok, maybe I would do it again for $1M. I kept the bolt face ejectors so they are still push feeds. Smooth feeds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't imagine a shaper would care much for carbide. HS is a lot more forgiving.

Posts: 677 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Carbide is not needed, nor would it work; modern receivers are soft as butter anyway, and as you say, carbide does not like interrupted cuts.
And HSS is sharper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen photos of Remington 700s converted to flat bottom receivers with integral recoil lug. Also, side swing three position safeties.. which makes you wonder, why not just buy a model 70 in the first place?!

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Rifle shooters like different and unique things, I find. If everyone liked the same designs, it would be boring.
Also, when I did it, the post 64 Model 70 did not have a claw extractor, and the pre 64 is not optimal for H&H length.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Probably 1 or 2 for sale in a tent outside the Khyber Pass.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could it be cut with wire EDM.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote