New
Find
Notify
Tools

Epoxy for Choate Polypropylene stock ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am modifying a Choate stock for a H&R Handi Rifle. I am confused about what epoxy will be the best.

The stock is described by the suppler as being made of metal impregnated polypropylene. Opinions vary on the web about what kind of epoxy will be best for polypropylene. Marine Tex is recommended by some and not by others.

Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
take a burr on a dremel and rough it up - use marine tex - it's designed to go on gelcoat

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK Thanks! Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I wrote it many times before:

Why epoxy in third decade of 21st century? There is 2nd and 3rd generation of macromolecular methyl methacrylate adhesives (MMA) generally available.

Jiri

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jiri, That is very interesting. I am going to look into it. I have several uses for such an adhesive.
Can you tell me any more about it? Sorry I missed your post on the topic.
Thanks, Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jiri, Thank you so much! I am going to talk to the pope about you. I think you should be sainted!
MMA appears to be a miracle product.

I found suppliers of MMA. It looks very promising. I am going to phone them in the morning and order what ever they suggest.
It looks like Infinity Bond MMA 500 might be what I want.
Brian

Thanks again Jiri, that is a great tip. You are a wealth of information.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a video on a MMA adhesive. Brian

https://www.gluegun.com/collec...bonding-mma-adhesive

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Brian:

I got in touch with MMA about 20 years ago when my fathers college worked at coal mine and they used it for some repairs. Since that time I use it for many different tasks. For example for gluing sights, scope mounts and whatever instead of soldering.

There are many types, some optimized for stiffer materials, some for more flexible materials, some for "hard to glue" materials etc. What I know 3rd generation provides higher strength, but it doesn't work in presence of copper. I have the best luck with 2nd gen. for metal to metal bonding and 3rd for plastic to anything except copper or copper alloys (also chrome plated surfaces could have some copper present - it is actually copper/nickel/chrome plating). 3rd generation also doesn't have as good shelve life as 2nd gen. But can be manufacturer to manufacturer difference.

I believe there are not many main producers, but it is sold under many different brands around the world.

Drawback: It smells really terrible. But after it is set, smell is gone.

I use mostly A 4545, which is "Impact Adhesives" brand sold here under different brand. I don't know what real equivalent is in US.

https://www.hfservis.cz/produk...ro-kompozity/a-4545/

Please set language to English for you.

Jiri

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
BTW:

MMA for "hard to glue" plastics will not set into stiff material, but will remain a little bit "chewy". Don't use this if you really don't need for some reason.

Jiri

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jiri, OK, thank you again. Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
take a burr on a dremel and rough it up - use marine tex - it's designed to go on gelcoat

I go an step further I drill some shallow holes in the area, bottom and sides I am bedding.

Locks the bedding in nicely.

I have use this method on Choate, Bell and Carlson, Ram line, Ruger, Savage, and Remington syt. stocks.

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
p dog shooter. Good, thanks, Brian

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Hello Brian:

Did you call the company with methacrylate glue?

Jiri

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jiri. Thanks for your inquiry.
Yes I contacted them.
https://www.gluegun.com/collec...structural-adhesives

But the plot thickens. ( maybe the glue does too, chuckle.)
I want to bond the polypropylene to spectraply. ( gun stock plywood.) They are trying to find out if their MMA 500 will bond to the plywood as well as the polypro. I hope to hear soon.

I did a test using Devcon 10110 epoxy and it worked. I still want to find out about this MMA 500. I could also use it for holster making with ABS, Kydex and Bolton. If I don't hear from the company soon I will just order some and try it. Cheers, Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a cabnet rasp and a good wood finish..just another reason I don't need no damn stinking plastic stock!! jumping sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote