Notify
Tools

Ruger Precision Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brush_buster:
I received my Ruger Precision Rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor yesterday. Today I threw a 3-9 Zeiss Conquest scope on it, bore sighted it, and took it to the range.

It took just three shots to get it zeroed so I took it to the 200 yd range.

I fired 3 shots from some handloads I had on hand for another rifle and got a pretty good group.

The next 3 shots were Hornady 140 gr A-Max factory loads. I have posted the picture of the 200 yd group at the bottom of the page. These are shots 7,8,9 fired through this rifle.

Needless to say I'm very happy with my purchase and will now attempt to duplicate the factory loads.

Anyone interested in an inexpensive rifle for long range shooting I would recommend the RPR.

That is a great group, but, it shows my pet peeve with Hornady. The groups are great, with a shot that f***s off from the rest. Why? I don't know.

It's not my conspiracy theory alone, as other folks, long in the reloading game have the same results and peeve, with Hornady. Some I've never voiced my opinion to, voluntarily went off on a rant on their own.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
Here's a group I shot today using the new Hornady ELD-M 140 gr. bullets. This was my first day to test these and this was the final three shot group at 100 yds.

Posts: 710 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dang, mister!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
But we all know Rugers can't shoot. I been told that a lot of times here. dancing

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
But we all know Rugers can't shoot. I been told that a lot of times here. dancing

It's a well kept secret! horse

Posts: 710 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sorry I let the cat out of the bag now buying used rotten shooting Rugers becomes harder.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's a group I shot today using the new Hornady ELD-M 140 gr. bullets. This was my first day to test these and this was the final three shot group at 100 yds.

Nice. tu2

Good to know that ammo has potential. I bought a case of it at the local emporium as soon as it showed up on the shelf.
I may not have to handload for a while, but will be making once-fired brass soon.

I will report back one of these days.
Too many projects, too little time at the range.

Hornady 6.5mm 140-gr ELD Match G1 BC = 0.610

Hornady 6.5mm 143-gr ELD-X, BC = 0.625

Nosler 142-grain AccuBond Long Range hunting bullet with BC of 0.719 at about 2700 fps in a 24"-barreled rifle is interesting.

Then there is the appealing basic deer bullet, the Hornady 140-grain Interlock SP with a BC of .465 to mimic a .308 Win match ammo trajectory,
for short range work. Wink

Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
https://home.nra.org/

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
Up until the appearance of the ELD-X I have used the Hornady 140 gr interlock sp as my whitetail bullet. It has never let me down.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sorry I let the cat out of the bag now buying used rotten shooting Rugers becomes harder.

Back when Ruger outsourced their barrels, they were terrible. The angled screw of the M77 didn't help either (gee, why hasn't anyone copied that long expired patent?).

The Ruger Precision Rifle is not your grandfather's M77.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw one is .308 at my local gunsmith - I am tempted to get it. The stock can adjusted for left handed shooter. Am thinking of getting a nikon 308 scope. Whole package for $1600. Beats getting a left hand accuracy international.

Plan to shoot paper at 100 yards and maybe steel at 300.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, the 50-round drum magazine is an extra $200 :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Mike, the 50-round drum magazine is an extra $200 :-)

It takes p - mags Cool

I think this rifle and a nikon m308 could be perfect.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's called a "precision rifle". With you shooting it, they'd have to change the name :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the "Ruger Lucky Rifle"?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
It's called a "precision rifle". With you shooting it, they'd have to change the name :-)

6.5 or .308 is the question - shooting 100 to 300 yards