THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Best cartridge for long range shooting
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best cartridge for long range shooting
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice . I'm leaning towards a .300 after noticing that that's the caliber of choice by a lot of shooters at Palma. Also there's a near by range with 300 and 1000 yards to answer a previous question.

Posts: 8 | Registered: 09 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
They did some impressive shooting at the Creedmore range using 45-70 up to 45-120.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah arkypete, get the ol' smoke poles on the firing line. The 45-120 only has 3x the wind drift and 6.5x the drop as a zippy 155 Berger from a 30-06 at 1000yds.

How bad's the accuracy after 50-60 rounds of that saltpeter fouling?

Or are you just poking fun?

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Note:

The elevation in the chart below is also in yards!

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
Yeah arkypete, get the ol' smoke poles on the firing line. The 45-120 only has 3x the wind drift and 6.5x the drop as a zippy 155 Berger from a 30-06 at 1000yds.

How bad's the accuracy after 50-60 rounds of that saltpeter fouling?

Or are you just poking fun?

JPL;

I'm having fun. It is something to consider what those old guys did 100 plus years ago.
Consider it took over a 100 years for Carlos Hathcock to break Billy Dixon's record kill shot.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of cdparker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskan101:
Thanks for the advice . I'm leaning towards a .300 after noticing that that's the caliber of choice by a lot of shooters at Palma. Also there's a near by range with 300 and 1000 yards to answer a previous question.

I am not sure where you are but, If you are interested in actually shooting a match at distance--Go to akrifleclub.com There you will find our match schedule. We shoot mid-range matches at Ft. Richardson. We shoot 300,500 and 600 yards. If the military ever gets sequestration figured out, we will go to Ft. Greely for a weekend in June, July and August. We shoot at 800,900 and 1000 yards. Each distance consists of sighters plus 20 shots for score. Our web site will have the 2014 schedule plus all the persons to contact for information. Come shoot with us.
Craig

Posts: 58 | Location: Mat Valley, Alaska | Registered: 31 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go to a 1,000 yd. F-Open class shoot there will be more 284W than anything else. 1 in 9 twist shooting 180 gr. bullets, normally Bergers, necked-up Lapua brass and Russian primers if you can find them, I've mostly used CCI 200's. 284W won the F-open national championship less than a month ago. 3 of the top 6 shooters were shooting 284's.
I started with a Savage #12 F-Class rifle in 6.5x284. It shot very well for a factory produced rifle. When I shot out that barrel (900-1,000) rds. I re-barreled to 284W. I'm very pleased with it. It's not a $4,000.00 match rifle but it shoots very well. My scores keep getting better. Some shooters are claiming much better barrel life out of the 6.5x284 by shooting H-1000 instead of H-4831sc or H-4350.

308 is the only caliber allowed in Palma matches. If you want to shoot Palma Matches you have to get a 308. Properly set-up the 308 will shoot extremely well at 1,000 yds. The 185 Berger is a favorite bullet of F/TR shooters at 1,000. Palma shooters have to shoot the Palma bullet.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot Palma matches for several years and understood that it was not required that you shoot the 155 Palma in those matches. I did numerous times but know that others shot all kind of bullet weights. Overseas I understand that the so called Palma bullet is required but from my experience not enforced here. My favorite load was the Sierra 190MK w/ Lapua brass, Fed. 210M,and 42.2grs of IMR4064. 30" Krieger barrel w/1-12 twist and they stayed super sonic and bucked the wind very well. Would clean the 800yd target(if you don't clean that one you are in for a bad day,) dropped 2-4 points at the 900yd and then would drop same amount for the 1000yd target so on good day would end up with a score of 440-444 out of possible of 450. For some reason that 900yd target was always a tough one for me. In those days my scores were considered good ones, but the crown I was shooting with were always few points higher. Iron sights only, sling/mat, the Palma matches at 8,9,& 1000yds. is definitely a real test of the rifle, but more so of the shooter. It's a challenge.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Instructor:
I shot Palma matches for several years and understood that it was not required that you shoot the 155 Palma in those matches. I did numerous times but know that others shot all kind of bullet weights. Overseas I understand that the so called Palma bullet is required but from my experience not enforced here. My favorite load was the Sierra 190MK w/ Lapua brass, Fed. 210M,and 42.2grs of IMR4064. 30" Krieger barrel w/1-12 twist and they stayed super sonic and bucked the wind very well. Would clean the 800yd target(if you don't clean that one you are in for a bad day,) dropped 2-4 points at the 900yd and then would drop same amount for the 1000yd target so on good day would end up with a score of 440-444 out of possible of 450. For some reason that 900yd target was always a tough one for me. In those days my scores were considered good ones, but the crowd I was shooting with were always few points higher. Iron sights only, sling/mat, the Palma matches at 8,9,& 1000yds. is definitely a real test of the rifle, but more so of the shooter. It's a challenge.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Instructor, my understanding is that, overseas, the ammo is provided to all the shooters ie. no custom ammo, handloads etc.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, you are correct regarding the ammo being issued. Might add that some I know who have shot around the world have actually had their chambers questioned and had to have them modified to meet "specs" prior to being able to compete.
That I had never heard before but believe that is when I would have used my return ticket back home.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I like these...6br,6.5x284,308,300WSM,338RUM...

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's always been my understanding that Palma bullets were required at the Camp Perry matches. Maybe someone who has shot the Palma match at Camp Perry could chime in and clarify that.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot there for several years and never heard anything about using the Palma bullet, Sierra 155 for example. Of course that doesn't mean that there could be some rule regarding the bullet, but have never been told, read, or advised of it. I never won the match either so if I did and required to reveal the load/bullet I may have been in trouble?? Not that it counts, but I have finished in the top 20 shooters before and did so using the SMK 190 and perhaps I was cheating?? Would I have placed higher using the 155?, doubt it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I checked the NRA High Power Rules and the Palma bullet is not required in the USA. Shoot what you brought as long as it's 308 or 223.