THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM


Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
5-25x56 Rifle Scopes
 Login/Join
 
one of us
posted
I have a Meopta 6-24 Second Focal Plane, and a Leupold 8-25 FFP VARI-X III 30mm. I want to do a proper 34-35mm tactical 5-25x56 for my next scope.

Thinking about getting a Nightforce ATACR 5-25, Steiner 5-25x56 or Leupold Mark 5 5-25x56.

They are all at pretty much the same price point with my pro deal at $2000-1500.

I am only considering these 3 brands and not Kahles, Schmidt Bender, and Hendsoldt because I have cheaper pro deals from the 3 of them.

My cost on a Kahles is $200-500 over the cost of any of these 3. My cost on a Schmidt would be 5-10% discount, same for Hendsolt. And the Hendsolt is easily $3500.
 
Posts: 6266 | Location: Southern New Mexico, land of Green Chilie  | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spent 3 minutes at Sportsmans Warehouse comparing the Nightforce to the Leupold.

The Nightforce is twice as nice for only about $400 more.
 
Posts: 6266 | Location: Southern New Mexico, land of Green Chilie  | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Spent 3 minutes at Sportsmans Warehouse comparing the Nightforce to the Leupold.

The Nightforce is twice as nice for only about $400 more.


I still use Leupold for general hunting but all my LR rigs now wear Nightforce scopes. Only downside is they are heavy. I was shooting two yesterday in the desert; one is an ATACR and the other an older NXS. I like the newer reticles as well as the fact newer ones can go out to 1200 yards with one spin of the elevation knob.


Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

 
Posts: 7254 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you shooting MOA or have you switched to MIL.

I want to switch to MIL.
 
Posts: 6266 | Location: Southern New Mexico, land of Green Chilie  | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Are you shooting MOA or have you switched to MIL.

I want to switch to MIL.


I shoot MOA but I do have an old Horus with mil; the only reason I like MOA is mil scopes are 1/10 mil/click which is .36 inches instead of .25, so my comeups are a bit more precise. If Nightforce made a scope with .05/mil adjustments, I would use that but switch my RFs to meters as well.

The whole subject reminds me of lat/long vs UTM coordinates. Much prefer UTM.


Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

 
Posts: 7254 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Thinking about getting a Nightforce ATACR 5-25, Steiner 5-25x56 or Leupold Mark 5 5-25x56.


Of the 3 above, I'd go with NF based on brand alone. I have a FFP Mil/Mil 5-25x56mm ATACR. It's quite nice. I've got a few of their older NXS line and I've never had an issue. One incurred a smashed elevation turret, it still tracked fine, didn't lose zero and NF repaired it gratis less my shipping it to them. It might not have some of the bells and whistles of some of the newer brands, but there are no flies on an ATACR. NF's got a stellar reputation for a consistent, robust product that just works.

Leupold is relatively new to the "High End" scope line and I've seen some tracking issues straight out of the box. Sure, the issues were fixed, but who want's to spend a couple grand and then have to be the QA/QC guy for Leupold? Maybe in the future they'll have fewer issues.

I've no experience with Steiner. I know some of the local LR steel shooters have used some Steiner scopes but I've seen more Burris XTR-IIs, Vortex Razors, and Schmidt & Benders than the Steiners.
 
Posts: 775 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can get a Burris XTR 5-25 for like $850 through my military sources.

Is that any good?
 
Posts: 6266 | Location: Southern New Mexico, land of Green Chilie  | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've not looked through the XTRs. I know that the XTR-IIs are going cheap since the IIIs are coming/are(?) out soon. I think they've got a weird tube diameter like 35mm or something that might limit ring options. I'm under the impression that they're catering to the "middle" pricing tier, not premium. I would not expect the Burris to be on the same level as the ATACR or Schmidt & Bender etc.

I went though analysis paralysis last year as there are so many options and different features. At some point you might just make a checklist of features you want, and sort by price point and reticle.
 
Posts: 775 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Meopta is MOA with MIL reticle. I only use the scope to dial. I don't use the reticle for ranging.

My VXIII is MIL. I basically do the same thing with it.

I only have two rifles again since I just got off the airplane from spending 3 years in Germany, and this move broke us financially.

But they are both decent.
 
Posts: 6266 | Location: Southern New Mexico, land of Green Chilie  | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
My Meopta is MOA with MIL reticle. I only use the scope to dial. I don't use the reticle for ranging.

My VXIII is MIL. I basically do the same thing with it.

I only have two rifles again since I just got off the airplane from spending 3 years in Germany, and this move broke us financially.

But they are both decent.


How do you like the Meopta? I have one of their spotting scopes. I went to Cabela's with 3500 dollars in points, intent on buying a Leica or Swaro spotter, and the optics person told me to try the Meopta. She took all three outside on tripods. Another guy who just finished a tour as a sniper in the ME came with us. Both of agreed the Meopta was better than either of the other two, and about 1K less.


Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

 
Posts: 7254 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know some negative comments have been written by a few of you about the Leupold but my VX-6's and LRP scopes have been wonderful and are use EVERY WEEK (100-300-600-900 range) at least once come hell or high water.

A couple friends used NF but now all use Leupold. Maybe the weight or price, I dunno? I only heard good things about NF but don't use one myself.

Probably can't go too far wrong with either.

Zeke
 
Posts: 1350 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS: I also use the Meopta MeoStar spotting scope and it's stellar!

Zeke
 
Posts: 1350 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
My Meopta is MOA with MIL reticle. I only use the scope to dial. I don't use the reticle for ranging.

My VXIII is MIL. I basically do the same thing with it.

I only have two rifles again since I just got off the airplane from spending 3 years in Germany, and this move broke us financially.

But they are both decent.


How do you like the Meopta? I have one of their spotting scopes. I went to Cabela's with 3500 dollars in points, intent on buying a Leica or Swaro spotter, and the optics person told me to try the Meopta. She took all three outside on tripods. Another guy who just finished a tour as a sniper in the ME came with us. Both of agreed the Meopta was better than either of the other two, and about 1K less.



I spent this morning mounting 3 scopes on Pic rails for my kids and I to shoot prairie dogs this summer in Wyoming.


Ended up changing mounts around and moved scopes to fit kids.


The Meopta is Alpha level glass. It really is. If you compare it to a 5-25 Swaro X5 or a 6-24 Kahles the glass is comparible. The turrets and odds and ends are not as nice, but I think you can get this scope for $1500-1800 in the USA. It is a nice scope. It blows the Leupold and mid-range Bushnell I have here out of the water. I am going to take it into a Cabelas or Sporsmans Warehouse and try and compare it to what they have so I can find something as nice. I doubt it will happen though.
 
Posts: 6266 | Location: Southern New Mexico, land of Green Chilie  | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 


Copyright December 1997-2020 Accuratereloading.com


Visit our on-line store for AR Memorabilia