Tools

Which .338?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
What bolt are you using?

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stiller

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Which Stiiler? apparently not the Tactical

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find the 338 Edge kinda finicky myself and the 338 Lapua much easier to make accurate.

I have two Edges 1) with a 9 twist Krieger that doesn't shoot anything at all and 1) with a 10 twist Hart that shoots sorta ok 1.5 MOA. Lapuas have all been much easier to make accurate.....basically a scaled up 308 Win and we all know how boringly easy that round is to make accurate.

The Edge sounds good on paper....real life....not so much.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
I find the 338 Edge kinda finicky myself and the 338 Lapua much easier to make accurate.

I have two Edges 1) with a 9 twist Krieger that doesn't shoot anything at all and 1) with a 10 twist Hart that shoots sorta ok 1.5 MOA. Lapuas have all been much easier to make accurate.....basically a scaled up 308 Win and we all know how boringly easy that round is to make accurate.

The Edge sounds good on paper....real life....not so much.

Uh oh. Anyone else have any issues?

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
Which Stiiler? apparently not the Tactical

My 'smith has the action; I ordered it a long time ago. He said the bolt face is not correct and I would be better off sending it back for an action made for that cartridge if I really wanted a LM.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
Will a 338 Norma fit in a M700 Magnum action?

Kind of like how you CAN put a Rigby in a standard Mauser but you really shouldn't, except at 65,000 PSI instead of 40,000.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first Edge was built by Defensive Edge.....I was less than happy dealing with them and no returned calls after the rifle was completed.

Second one was done by a local smith after I purchased the reamer from PTG.

I really liked, still like, the IDEA of the 338 Edge......

You are limited on brass choices...Remington ( IME not real consistant and prone to case head seperation), Nosler (too soft and primer pockets get loose fast ) Norma (good stuff but haed to find ).

338 Lapua, Lapua brass. The best most consistant brass you can get.

Both are long range rifles so accuracy is much more important than on a 200 yard deer rifle. I really don't think the Edge is worth the hassel afteer about 1500 rounds and two different rifles by two different builders and two different barrel manufacturers I am not impressed with this round and would not recomend it.

BUT! That is just my experience.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
Will a 338 Norma fit in a M700 Magnum action?

Yes it will. My 338 Laupa is built on a M-700 action. Remington has produced 338 Laupa's in the M-700 action.

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
LTEX what bullets are you shooting in your Edge? You are the first person that I have heard that doesn't like the cartridge

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
my 338 Edge shoots VERY well, getting sub .5 MOA accuracy out of it with Berger 300 VLD's. Mine is built on a Savage action, 30in Shilen barrel, and a glass beaded McMillan stock. I could not be happier with the rifle.
Another thing to think about is brass, there are may shooters out there with 300 RUM that dont reload. I get free Federal and Nosler Brass from the shooting range I go to. I sort them and turn the necks for uniformity. I dont think that many can say the same for 338 Lapua.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My current Edge is a Defensive Edge Canyon Rifle. Its built on a Bat repeater action, 30" Hart Barrel, HS Precision stock and Jewel trigger. It holds 1/2 MOA out to 1000 yards, and does that with loads that Shawn suggested right down to the COAL.

If I were starting again I might consider a Lapua just for the better brass. Having said that, if an Edge doesn't shoot I'd be looking at the gunsmith and not the cartridge. There's just too many of us having good and predictable results.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
LTEX what bullets are you shooting in your Edge? You are the first person that I have heard that doesn't like the cartridge

I have used Bergers 300grain and 250g OTM, I have used Sierra 300 and 250g Match Kings and I have used Hornady 250 Grain Match Hollowpoints and some 225g I believe they where Amax or innerbonds....

I have kept detailed logs on both rifles ( they are at home).

Tried Shawn the Edge gurus loads.....H1000, RE25 not so much. Even Retumbo. Best results have so far been with believe it or not RE19.

The Defensive Edge built rifle is no where near a keeper and like I said earlier no return calls from the guru.......

The local built is showing a bit more promise and I am still fooling with it.

338 Lapua is just easy.....Damn near anything I have fed it has been MOA. Most a good bit under MOA and it is a plain stock Savage......no custom barrel, no custom smithing. I think all in it was right at $1,100.00. My buddy and I both got one...consecutive serial numbers even and they both shoot.

Lapua brass is not free ( for me anyway ) but it is always better than Rem, Win, Hornady and Federal.

There are a bunch of people on that long range forum that think Ol' Shawn is some kind of God.....but after the way he treated me I wouldn't send him a Daisey Red Rider to work on.

All that being said I am tickled pink for you guys that are having good luck with yours.

Like I said earlier I love the idea of the 338 Edge!

posted Hide Post
338 RUM is the least expensive option.

The quality of the brass while somewhat important is not what make a 1/2 MOA 338.

It's the barrel, the bullet and the load.

Lots of 1000-2000 yard shooting has proven the 245 gr Bore Tech is the fastest, flattest and highest BC .338 bullet available. (also the most expensive, if you can find any to buy)

Posts: 19 | Registered: 18 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong, I use nothing but Lapua brass in my .308 but for .338 Lapua the cost is not justified to me.

My PacNor barreled Rem 700 easily shoots 1 min groups with Rem brass and Nosler 250 Accubonds for about 1/3 the cost. I've fired some of that brass 4 or five times and I'm sure its good for a few more.

I'm surprised the .338 RUM isn't more popular given the cost of a Lapua setup. I know to some, money is no object but the RUM sure works for me.

Mark

Posts: 7 | Registered: 06 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post