New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which .338?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which .338 is best? I am having a long range rifle built for the .338 Edge, but having some second thoughts about either a RUM or a Lapua. What are the pros and cons as you guys see it?

Any fans of the Edge?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
The Edge is a fine caliber, no doubt about it. I had the same question when I wanted a long range 338. I eventually settled on the 338 Laupa because of the strength and quality of the Laupa brass. I feel that I made the correct decision for me and would go the same again

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
I got a savage long range hunter before prices went wild for $1k.... hornady 285 hp ammunition was $80/box.... put a vortex viper 4-16 on it from cameraland... i'm impressed with 1 hole 200 yd groups.... and I like the accutrigger...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Dieseltrucker
posted Hide Post
I had the same second thoughts as well. Ended up doing the RUM. If you hand load, make your own brass and don't plan to take the rifle across the pond, then go for the Edge. But you can always do a RUM and if you want the extra fps down the road, hit the chamber with the Edge reamer and your GTG. The Edge really shines with the 300 grainers and a long tube. I liken it to putting a vehicle on the Dyno for the horsepower output. Can I tell a difference between 400 and 450 hp? not really. But do I like more horsepower? Yes sir. Feet per second is only a number, and in this (probable) application (extreme distance shooting) it does not matter until you get past 1200 yards at the least (depending of bullet, coefficient, etc, etc). Either way, I hope you enjoy your rifle.

Posts: 240 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about the 338 Edge +P ?

Posts: 1935 | Registered: 30 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
How about the 338 Edge +P ?

How about a Laupa +P?

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are all excellent cartridges. The RUM brass is far less expensive and, while not common, can probably be found in places the others cannot. My llocal "general store" probably stocks 50 different cartridges. They have 338 RUM, 340 Weatherby, 338 Winchester and even 338-06. Ask about 338 Lapua and get a blank stare.
The Lapua is a rugged case because, according to the web, it was designed to be used in full auto weapons.
The RUM has less taper and is what today's conventionall wisdom says a bolt action cartridge's shape should be.
Any of them in a rifle you can carry on your back all day, has a lot of recoil. For someone who shoots a 270 or 30-06, a 338 WinMag is probably a more prudent step up.
My custom 338 RUM weighs in at 20 pounds all up and still is about like shooting a 6 pound 308. An 8 pound 338 RUM would have to hurt a lot.

Posts: 92 | Registered: 21 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
JWP45,

who offer's a 338 Lapua +P barrel? The 338 Edge + P received it's patent.
Let me know AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the 338 class I vote for the 340 weatherby.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
JWP45,

who offer's a 338 Lapua +P barrel? The 338 Edge + P received it's patent.
Let me know AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!!

The 338 Edge +P is the 338 Edges with a patented throat by Shawn Carlock. I assume that he can do the same with the Laupa

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to outrun other cartridges you'll want the 338 Lapua AI.

A RUM/Edge fits in a .7" bolt action like an R700. That is it's great advantage.

If it were me I'd have a 338NM.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will a 338 Norma fit in a M700 Magnum action?

one of us
posted Hide Post
jwp475,

Shawn hasn't done any research & design in 338 Lapua + P.

I would still like to know who offer's a 338 Lapua + P barrel. The sooner the better!, my barrel is being hold up waiting for a + P 338 Lapua.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
jwp475,

Shawn hasn't done any research & design in 338 Lapua + P.

I would still like to know who offer's a 338 Lapua + P barrel. The sooner the better!, my barrel is being hold up waiting for a + P 338 Lapua.

Just got of the phone with Shawn, he can do a +P chamber for any cartridge it just requires a +P reamer for each cartridge

- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents:

I really appreciate all the information here. I was going to go with the .338 LM, but I already have the bolt and it apparently isn't an easy conversion or even possible. So I am going with an Edge. One reason is that Shawn has put a lot of energy into this cartridge. I never met the guy or talked to him on the phone, but I love his enthusiasm.

Has anyone tried the Edge with a the +P chamber?

But I want to do another rifle and make it a .338 LM.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post