Tools

Eish!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Why are swaging tools so expensive!!! Eeker

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
If you are talking about swaging aluminum collars onto cable. You can just use a hex nut and smash it with a hammer or just smash the aluminum ones with a hammer. No swagging tool needed.

Don't beat them too flat they will crack and break.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Swaging Ann? Are you in the right forum? Talking about the Corbin tools?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, yes sweetie, in the right forum. Swaging tool is used to crimp ferrules on cable wire to make snares.

I've used the hammer in the past but it makes for an ugly crimp. Thought I would try and be more professional. Plus, I am planning to use a bunch of cable wire to suspend my meat rabbit cages. This tool is pretty spendy for being something with intermittent/limited use.

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youngoutdoors:
If you are talking about swaging aluminum collars onto cable. You can just use a hex nut and smash it with a hammer or just smash the aluminum ones with a hammer. No swagging tool needed.

Don't beat them too flat they will crack and break.

God Bless, Louis

Louis, with my luck I will have hex nuts flying all over the shop and I will never find them again. Same with the thought of using a cold chisel, I'll end up hitting the damn thing too hard.

~Ann

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Maybe this is where the much feared Dremel and a cheap bolt cutter could be used to make something useful.
Course that may add up to cost more than the crimper.

Tools purchased will almost always pay for themselves . . . sometimes at a moment when least expected, but MOST appreciated.

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Maybe this is where the much feared Dremel and a cheap bolt cutter could be used to make something useful.
Course that may add up to cost more than the crimper.

Tools purchased will almost always pau for themselves . . . sometimes at a moment when least expected, but MOST appreciated.

That's actually a good idea. Your clever idea has reminded me I might still have a small bolt cutter with really chipped cutting blades on it. If I still have it I just may be able to take it apart and put a grinding wheel to the broken edges and make what I need.

Hopefully, I didn't throw it out! I will look for it today.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Very handy to bolt one handle down on the bench. Not quite a bench swage but darn near. I see em for $50 for hand held to $150 for the bench.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
Very handy to bolt one handle down on the bench. Not quite a bench swage but darn near. I see em for $50 for hand held to $150 for the bench.

Good idea!

I did find the broken bolt cutters. Hopefully I can grind them the way I need them to be.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, I may have one. PM sent.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote