https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/890104394/m/7801018552

15 December 2019, 05:16
Aspen Hill Adventures
Eish!
Why are swaging tools so expensive!!! Eeker

~Ann

15 December 2019, 06:23
youngoutdoors
If you are talking about swaging aluminum collars onto cable. You can just use a hex nut and smash it with a hammer or just smash the aluminum ones with a hammer. No swagging tool needed.

Don't beat them too flat they will crack and break.

God Bless, Louis
15 December 2019, 20:53
Bill/Oregon
Swaging Ann? Are you in the right forum? Talking about the Corbin tools?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author
15 December 2019, 21:54
Aspen Hill Adventures
Bill, yes sweetie, in the right forum. Swaging tool is used to crimp ferrules on cable wire to make snares.

I've used the hammer in the past but it makes for an ugly crimp. Thought I would try and be more professional. Plus, I am planning to use a bunch of cable wire to suspend my meat rabbit cages. This tool is pretty spendy for being something with intermittent/limited use.

~Ann

15 December 2019, 21:57
Aspen Hill Adventures
quote:
Originally posted by youngoutdoors:
If you are talking about swaging aluminum collars onto cable. You can just use a hex nut and smash it with a hammer or just smash the aluminum ones with a hammer. No swagging tool needed.

Don't beat them too flat they will crack and break.

God Bless, Louis

Louis, with my luck I will have hex nuts flying all over the shop and I will never find them again. Same with the thought of using a cold chisel, I'll end up hitting the damn thing too hard.

~Ann

15 December 2019, 22:00
TCLouis
Maybe this is where the much feared Dremel and a cheap bolt cutter could be used to make something useful.
Course that may add up to cost more than the crimper.

Tools purchased will almost always pay for themselves . . . sometimes at a moment when least expected, but MOST appreciated.
15 December 2019, 22:11
Aspen Hill Adventures
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Maybe this is where the much feared Dremel and a cheap bolt cutter could be used to make something useful.
Course that may add up to cost more than the crimper.

Tools purchased will almost always pau for themselves . . . sometimes at a moment when least expected, but MOST appreciated.

That's actually a good idea. Your clever idea has reminded me I might still have a small bolt cutter with really chipped cutting blades on it. If I still have it I just may be able to take it apart and put a grinding wheel to the broken edges and make what I need.

Hopefully, I didn't throw it out! I will look for it today.

~Ann

16 December 2019, 00:07
tomahawker
Very handy to bolt one handle down on the bench. Not quite a bench swage but darn near. I see em for $50 for hand held to $150 for the bench.
16 December 2019, 00:18
Aspen Hill Adventures
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
Very handy to bolt one handle down on the bench. Not quite a bench swage but darn near. I see em for $50 for hand held to $150 for the bench.

Good idea!

I did find the broken bolt cutters. Hopefully I can grind them the way I need them to be.

~Ann

16 December 2019, 18:03
squeezenhope
Ann, I may have one. PM sent.