Tools

Sidearm For Brown Bear Hunt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaska Hunter:
That 500 S&W really is a brute.

I dispatched a bull moose with my buddies a couple years ago.

There is no way I could have recovered with a follow up shot on a charging bear. One shot is all you get. The thought of that is not very comforting. I really like the rapid massive destruction you can get out of a 10 mil.

Yep. Only masochistic noobs would pack a low capacity Mega-Magnum boat-anchor into the AK bush. Roll Eyes

Whereas a 15+1 10mm Gen4 G20 - properly loaded with 200gn or 220gn Underwood hardcast ammo - gives you everything you need and nothing you don't Whistling

Bears beware ... Eeker

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Unless you are suffering from a terminal case of bearanoia, which seems to be rampant in Texas and other parts south of the Canadian border, anyone who has a modicum of common sense and knowledge of, and experience around bears,and is halfway competent with a handgun, can safely travel in bear country with a 357 or even a 9mm!

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4196 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Unless you are suffering from a terminal case of bearanoia, which seems to be rampant in Texas and other parts south of the Canadian border, anyone who has a modicum of common sense and knowledge of, and experience around bears,and is halfway competent with a handgun, can safely travel in bear country with a 357 or even a 9mm!

As proven many times.

Handguns can be a effective tool in case of a bear attack.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/...-cases-97-effective/

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
In my limited experience, both as an assistant guide in the "Bob" Marshall Wildnerness in the 70s (1970 to 1978) when we could guide for grizzly (until about 1973 I believe) and my one time hunting brown bear in Alaska, there are times when your rifle isn't as close as it should be, or the scope covers are on cause it's incessantly raining. In each encounter, standing up and talking or yelling at the bear worked. In each case, I would've felt better with my 45 Super 1911 at my side, though I don't think I would've drawn it as things hadn't gotten to that point. I'm not a believer in bear spray, because I've never practiced with it, don't feel comfortable "drawing" it, and worry about it if the wind is in my face. All those things are probably due to my inexperience with it.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in the camp of you don’t need it.

If you feel the need for a gun for protection, and you are on a hunting trip, you have a rifle. If I can manage to haul my .416 around while in Africa, I can manage with whatever heading to the outhouse or camp poop bush- been there, did that in Alaska.

The pistol makes sense if you are doing something else, like fishing or not hunting.

When I shot my bear up there, the guide had me stand on a tall mound and be bear watch as they were all around.

As to a .460 SW, or .500, I’m in the camp of why? Those things weigh about as much as a rifle, and are not easily used as a 1 handed gun if you get in big trouble.

The guides and locals say it’s unnecessary.

My thought is if you are not willing to haul the rifle around as a hunting client, you will likely forget the pistol when answering nature’s call as well.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spent a long-long-long 10 to 15 minutes under a large Brown Bear, praying and wishing I had a handgun. We both somehow escaped any injury.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Biggest mistake most people make in case of any attack is shooting too fast and too far to hit straight and being too excited in these situations for simple reason of inexperience
PANIC is the right word and in panic we simply can’t think straight..

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not a believer in bear spray, because I've never practiced with it, don't feel comfortable "drawing" it, and worry about it if the wind is in my face. All those things are probably due to my inexperience with it.

Spray doesn't work well in cold, wind, rain. Range sucks also.

Most spray cans are not design well for easy use.

Spray holsters and safeties suck.

They can not be reloaded one has one chance.

Humans have spent a couple hundred years perfecting handguns, ammo, and holsters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
I'm not a believer in bear spray, because I've never practiced with it, don't feel comfortable "drawing" it, and worry about it if the wind is in my face. All those things are probably due to my inexperience with it.

Spray doesn't work well in cold, wind, rain. Range sucks also. Most spray cans are not design well for easy use.Spray holsters and safeties suck.They can not be reloaded one has one chance.

Sprays appeal only to tree-huggers and the naive.

When they fail - for any of the reasons that P-doggie listed above - the bear will eat well and we'll have one less tree-hugger or naive idjit to deal with. Whistling

quote:
Humans have spent a couple hundred years perfecting handguns, ammo, and holsters.

Yep, they just need to practice more frequently with them before heading into the wilds, like we Texans do. tu2

All The Best ...

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
At the temperatures during the spring, summer and fall, where the vast majority of human/bear encounters take place, bear spray works fine and statistically it has a great record. Having personally used it, I recommend it as a first line of defense. Especially for those unfamiliar or uncomfortable with guns.

children and adolescents can easily be taught to use it and visitors to Alaska can spend $30 and purchase a new can when they arrive and leave it upon departure. That's a whole lot cheaper than the ammo required to become competent!

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
There is nothing pleasant, enjoyable, entertaining or rewarding about killing a bear out of season or not while actively hunting one. Fishing trips, hunting trips, photo safaris and casual vacations are ruined with a dlp'd bear.

Every avenue including bear spray should be considered inorder to avoid dlp'ing a bear.

Those advocating otherwise are demonstrably ignorant morons.

Posts: 9091 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
At the temperatures during the spring, summer and fall, where the vast majority of human/bear encounters take place, bear spray works fine and statistically it has a great record. Having personally used it, I recommend it as a first line of defense. Especially for those unfamiliar or uncomfortable with guns.

Temperature isn't the only factor the effects spray.

Why did you leave out wind and rain.

Statistically it is a great harassment tool.

As a defensive tool the results leave a lot to be desired.

As you found out Phil when it really counted you used a handgun.

I for one will never condemn anybody for practicing with their defensive tools. I highly recommend it.

But from actual cases many have saved themselves. With very limited handgun experience.

Spray does have it's place. But it's use as a defensive tool for stopping determined bear attacks is way over blown.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Temperature isn't the only factor the effects spray.

Why did you leave out wind and rain.

Statistically it is a great harassment tool.

As a defensive tool the results leave a lot to be desired.

As you found out Phil when it really counted you used a handgun.

I for one will never condemn anybody for practicing with their defensive tools. I highly recommend it.

But from actual cases many have saved themselves. With very limited handgun experience.

Spray does have it's place. But it's use as a defensive tool for stopping determined bear attacks is way over blown.

This just keeps getting dumber & dumber coffee

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
There is nothing pleasant, enjoyable, entertaining or rewarding about killing a bear out of season or not while actively hunting one. Fishing trips, hunting trips, photo safaris and casual vacations are ruined with a dlp'd bear.

Every avenue including bear spray should be considered inorder to avoid dlp'ing a bear.

Those advocating otherwise are demonstrably ignorant morons.

Anything that takes away from one enjoyment of the out doors is a PITA.

Such a dealing with a dead bear in a defense of life and property killing. Reasonable means of avoiding and stopping a bear confrontation before killing one should be used.

But so is spending thousands of dollars in hospital bills.

Being scared or worse when a bear makes contact with you.

Maybe never regaining full function of limbs ect, death, from the bear attack.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
At the temperatures during the spring, summer and fall, where the vast majority of human/bear encounters take place, bear spray works fine and statistically it has a great record.

Actually, bear 'perfume' doesn't have 'a great record' at all ... unless you're relying on biased/skewed studies that favor the pre-determine outcome of the bear not being harmed regardless of whether the human(s) was harmed.

A comparative 'study' of the various studies popularly cited by 'animal rights' activists involving gun v. bear incidents with spray v. bear incidents exposes the clear bias. (See linky below).

Sprays can indeed be effective on 'curious' or merely 'nuisance' bears. They are woefully ineffective against genuinely aggressive bears that charge or attack humans. The use of sprays in the cases of attacking bears left the human(s) mauled or dead (while happily the bear survived until dispatched later Roll Eyes ).

Where firearms were used against attacking/charging bears (i.e., bears that were not merely being a nuisance or exhibiting 'curious' behavior), overwhelmingly the human(s) in the incident stopped the charge or killed the bear without himself/themselves being mauled or killed.

Pays to do the research, kids. Whistling

https://www.thetruthaboutguns....ar-spray-vs-bullets/

All The Best ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:
Or so it seems that some Alaskans prefer to carry everyday in the summer.

I carry every day period.!
Ruger LC9S tu2

Point taken

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
You guys are turning this into a dick measuring contest, especially between the Alaska guys vs Texas guys, now delving into bear spray protection while touring around other than in a hunting scenario, and other irrelevant matters per the OP.

The OP asked for advise on whether or not he needed a side arm while on a moose / brown bear hunt. Not if he needed protection while venturing into the back yard to take a piss as a tourist. Let's keep the discussion on point.

I think the posters here who guide for brown / grizzlies in Alaska have the most relevant info for those of us without significant bear hunting and bear environment experience.

As I take it, if you are on a brown bear hunt (or moose, etc), you are going to be armed with a rifle more capable of handling a bear than any hand held weapon. The fact that you will be paired with a competent guide, also armed with an appropriate back up weapon, leads additional credence against carrying an additional side arm.

If you are a resident of Alaska and are intending on hunting browns or grizzlies on your own, without an armed partner in the field with you, a back up side arm might make additional sense. I don't know ... and I don't think this was the OP's intent of the question.

I've hunted Alaska once (moose and caribou) DIY, and did not feel a need to supplement my 340 Wby which I carried everywhere, including attending to nature calls. I had a buddy along most of the time while in the field but distinctly remember returning to the cabin by myself a couple of evenings, walking along the stream with a heightened sense of awareness of being in bear territory. I believe that sense of awareness was more effective than a 4lb hog leg would have been, especially with the 340 in hand.

I've hunted Russia twice for brown bears. Both times, paired with a guide. Those guys mostly carried a 12 ga with slugs or SKS for back up. Even with them carrying some questionable weapons (one of the 12 ga guns was held together with duct tape and bailing wire!) I never felt the need for an additional side arm and none of the guides carried one either. The fact is, unless we had to go in to the thick underbrush to dig out a wounded bear, the terrain didn't present a situation where one was likely to be surprised by a bear, especially if you were alert to the environment at hand.

The only scenario I could think of where an additional side arm would be of benefit would be if you were on your own, surprised by a bear, attacked, and had your rifle knocked out of your hand, without a partner or guide to shoot the attacking animal off of you. What are the legitimate chances of that scenario? I'd bet the super cub (Alaska) or helicopter (Russia) flight into camp presents more danger!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The OP asked for advise on whether or not he needed a side arm while on a moose / brown bear hunt. Not if he needed protection while venturing into the back yard to take a piss as a tourist. Let's keep the discussion on point

Okay, fair enough ... The OP asked:
quote:
Originally posted by RSIMMONS:
I have moose/brown bear hunt coming in September. I feel like I need a sidearm. I'm looking at a revolver in 460 S&W. Is this practical or is 44 Mag a better idea?

Neither. Both are low capacity 'boat-anchors.'

A 15+1 10mm Gen4 Glock 20, loaded hot and carried in a leather or Kydex chest rig, would be a far better choice.

But don't just take my word for it. ...

Here's an AK resident and veteran bear guide (Chuke) explaining why the 10mm AUTO - typically as chambered in one of the three Glock models - currently dominants as the first choice when heading into AK's bear-infested boonies, ... whether to hunt, hike, or otherwise.

Why 10mm has taken over Alaska
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZJVF5PWtq8

Current State of 10mm in AK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KLkDA6sPjg

popcorn

All The Best ...

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.J. Hydell

Here's an AK resident and veteran bear guide (Chuke) explaining why the 10mm AUTO - typically as chambered in one of the three Glock models - currently dominants as the first choice when heading into AK's bear-infested boonies, ... whether to hunt, hike, or otherwise.

popcorn

Do you, or anyone here actually know this Chuke fellow ? I am in my fifth decade of guiding here in Alaska, am friends with and know an awful lot of the members of the Alaska Professional Hunters Association and don't know a single guide who is familiar with "Chute"
I have seen his childish videos of shooting through fruits and vegetables, or whatever "test media" he used for effect. But was just wondering what his bonifieds are ?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

popcorn

Do you, or anyone here actually know this Chuke fellow ? I am in my fifth decade of guiding here in Alaska, am friends with and know an awful lot of the members of the Alaska Professional Hunters Association and don't know a single guide who is familiar with "Chute"
I have seen his childish videos of shooting through fruits and vegetables, or whatever "test media" he used for effect. But was just wondering what his bonifieds are ?

Phil, this poster is a poser. AJ Hydell is an alias of Lee Harvey Oswald although Oswald spelled it "Hidell". This clown is probably a high school drop out living in his parents basement. He is a self proclaimed expert on everything. Pay him no mind. He has touted this Chuke clown before.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
quote:
quote:

popcorn

Phil, this poster is a poser. AJ Hydell is an alias of Lee Harvey Oswald although Oswald spelled it "Hidell". This clown is probably a high school drop out living in his parents basement. He is a self proclaimed expert on everything. Pay him no mind. He has touted this Chuke clown before.

+1

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started this thread so I'll bring it full circle. I acquired a Rock Island 1911 10mm 16 round magazine. I am very familiar with the 1911 platform and have 1000s of 45 rounds experience. I don't intent to carry to 10mm while hunting. But,I will have it handy any other time in the wild. I bought 100 rounds of Buffalo Bore 220gr lead cast bullet @~1200 fps to loosen the action and have a full mag for the trip.

Posts: 135 | Location: Canton, Ga. USA | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
I started this thread so I'll bring it full circle. I acquired a Rock Island 1911 10mm 16 round magazine. I am very familiar with the 1911 platform and have 1000s of 45 rounds experience. I don't intent to carry to 10mm while hunting. But,I will have it handy any other time in the wild. I bought 100 rounds of Buffalo Bore 220gr lead cast bullet @~1200 fps to loosen the action and have a full mag for the trip.

Best of luck.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:

You should be adequately armed for any bear hunt

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well work for the intended purpose.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You should be adequately armed for any bear hunt

I like to be well armed outside my cabin.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
quote:
quote:

popcorn

This guy AJ Hydell kinda shut up over the last week !

Hip

Posts: 1823 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do agree with others about a client on a guided hunt not needing to pack a handgun. Well, maybe the guide can keep a lookout for bears while the client fertilizes the moss.

While moose hunting in Alaska where I live there are a lot of times that carrying a rifle to the outhouse (a hole in the ground) is too cumbersome. A 10mm Glock loaded with hard cast ammo helps my ego. However, I ride a UTV where I also carry more guns (.22 LR pistol with dot sight). I sleep alone in a wall tent for a couple of weeks with my handgun close-by. My friends snore, so they sleep in their own tents Smiler

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I always find these “what handgun for bear defense”? Threads entertaining. Guys who don’t hunt bears for a living think they need a big handgun. Guides who hunt them for a living, and those who live in the bush, generally don’t carry handguns, unless they don’t have a rifle handy.

I think it’s interesting that Alaskan guides and African PH’s don’t see a reason to carry a sidearm when hunting dangerous game, but nimrods think it is important. The guys who hunt dangerous game for a living realize a rifle is much better protection. I wonder why more people don’t listen to them?

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
I always find these “what handgun for bear defense”? Threads entertaining. Guys who don’t hunt bears for a living think they need a big handgun. Guides who hunt them for a living, and those who live in the bush, generally don’t carry handguns, unless they don’t have a rifle handy.

I think it’s interesting that Alaskan guides and African PH’s don’t see a reason to carry a sidearm when hunting dangerous game, but nimrods think it is important. The guys who hunt dangerous game for a living realize a rifle is much better protection. I wonder why more people don’t listen to them?

willy blomme and few others may disagree on your absolute statement.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

When you have a rifle in hand there is no need for a handgun.

It would be foolish put the rifle down to grab your handgun.

Handguns are there when you don't have a rifle handy for many reasons.

Far to easy to set the rifle some place out of reach when one needs both hands.

As far as handguns in African there are many countries that they are restricted.

As far as American guides a lot are not gun people.

One of the more famous modern guides who posts here carries a handgun often. Oh and a matter of fact he used one to protect himself and his clients by killing a rather large brown bear with it.

Many people have used handguns to protect themselves from bear attacks why don't people listen to them.

As far as the number of people living in the bush who carry and who doesn't.

I have never seen a percentage. If you have the numbers I would like to know them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

When you have a rifle in hand there is no need for a handgun.

It would be foolish put the rifle down to grab your handgun.

Handguns are there when you don't have a rifle handy for many reasons.

Far to easy to set the rifle some place out of reach when one needs both hands.

As far as handguns in African there are many countries that they are restricted.

As far as American guides a lot are not gun people.

One of the more famous modern guides who posts here carries a handgun often. Oh and a matter of fact he used one to protect himself and his clients by killing a rather large brown bear with it.

Many people have used handguns to protect themselves from bear attacks why don't people listen to them.

As far as the number of people living in the bush who carry and who doesn't.

I have never seen a percentage. If you have the numbers I would like to know them.

You have made good points covering all the bases. While a client should listen to the guide in relation to packing a handgun or not, it is only human to have certain fears about bears and other wild animals when in the outdoors. Self preservation is what has lead us- humans- to create weapons to defend ourselves. As for me, the rifle is in my hands, and the handgun is there for times where I don't have the rifle at hand. For example, when a few hundred feet from my campsite equating on a hole in the ground, or just when in my tent or sleeping bag. Fears are primal, and all of us experience some every now and then.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think the posters trip to the outhouse will be an issue and the pistol will not be necessary! He is scared shitless!!! Just kidding my man!!

I have no use for pistols on any hunting trip, and Ive hunted the 4 corners of the earth..carry your rifle with confidence from practicing, when that is accomplished you will have no concern of any dangerous animals on earth, even man!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with Todd on this one. Pistols and revolvers are not of much use in my opinion. I have two that might fit the bill, but both have their drawbacks. A .454 Casull, but it's big and heavy and needs a shoulder holster and a .44 Mag., which is more carriable, but short barreled.

The .454 is clearly the more potent round, but the .44 would be the more practical. Especially considering that I'd be doing good to hit the inside of a barn I was standing in with a handgun.

I'll stick to my rifle.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Have to agree with Todd on this one. Pistols and revolvers are not of much use in my opinion. I have two that might fit the bill, but both have their drawbacks. A .454 Casull, but it's big and heavy and needs a shoulder holster and a .44 Mag., which is more carriable, but short barreled.

The .454 is clearly the more potent round, but the .44 would be the more practical. Especially considering that I'd be doing good to hit the inside of a barn I was standing in with a handgun.

I'll stick to my rifle.

I'd be doing good to hit the inside of a barn I was standing in with a handgun.

Sounds to me like you need some professional help with your handgun skills.

If you had the desire to improve that's the key to be becoming a good shot. In 8hrs I could have you shooting the knot holes in the barn.

It seems to be a common theme.

That just because one can not do something themselves.

They believe others can not do it also.

Having carried handguns daily for 4 plus decades in all types of situations.

What is wrong with a shoulder holster. The proper one used properly. Can make carrying a handgun at
certain times just right.

No one holster solves all carrying problems.

one of us
posted Hide Post
pdog,

The point is from my perspective as a 22 year resident of a bush community in Alaska is that carrying a handgun when hunting with a rifle is a huge and unnecessary PIA. Everyone I have known that used a shoulder holster eventually carried the handgun with the shoulder holster and harness just wrapped around the gun. What happens if you put the shoulder holster on over your first layer of clothing? It will be under your coat or rain gear so fairly useless. If you put the shoulder holster over your coat you eventually will have to take it off to remove your coat as you'll be too hot at midday.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
pdog,

The point is from my perspective as a 22 year resident of a bush community in Alaska is that carrying a handgun when hunting with a rifle is a huge and unnecessary PIA. Everyone I have known that used a shoulder holster eventually carried the handgun with the shoulder holster and harness just wrapped around the gun. What happens is if you put the shoulder holster on over your first layer of clothing? It will be under your coat or rain gear so fairly useless. If you put the shoulder holster over your coat you eventually will have to take it off to remove your coat as you'll be too hot at midday.

Mark

There are an awful lot of misconceptions about Alaska, it's game and conditions perpetuated by those who have never experienced it !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
As I stated based on over 4 decades of carrying a handgun daily. Yes every day all day 8 to 16 hours per day

Working, cutting firewood, logging, hunting, trapping, fishing, back packing, camping weeks in canoe. Among many of the activities I have carried a handgun.

A few times even in Alaska.

Can carrying a handgun be a PITA yes. I have found most of the time no.

If one is limited to just one handgun one holster it is harder.

Proper selection of equipment is the key. Handgun and holster. I own a few dozen handguns.

I own dozens of holsters of various style makes and materials. I pick the right type for the job.

There are times a proper shoulder holster is the one for the job..

There are many makes and styles some I find are border line useless. Some when doing certain things are very useful.

They are just one of the many types/styles of holsters that are available for carrying ones handgun.

Drawing from under a garment is slower but not impossible. Nor useless. Yes I have done it thousands of times.

If one can not develop the necessary skills and knowledge to use a piece of equipment properly.

Then one shouldn't use it.

Why is wearing rain gear or a coat when the weather requires one any different in Alaska then any where else.

Well it is Alaska is just plain utter BS.

YEA YEA the mountains are steeper, the brush is thicker, the swamps are deeper Right.

Each area has it owns challenges but man adapts to them and most of the time over comes them.

No one is making anyone carry something that they don't want to.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are an awful lot of misconceptions about Alaska, it's game and conditions perpetuated by those who have never experienced it !

Ignored post by p dog shooter tu2 Best feature on this site dancing

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Well if I had to make a choice of sidearm I'd probably use my Ruger Singlesix Bisley in .22 RF. Just in case I ran into an aggressive grouse or ptarmigan of course!

jumping

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote