New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Alaska rifle & caliber?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Because of the severe weather conditions encountered, and the wide range of game available, I believe Alaska is the one state that can take it's toll on hunting gear and place a demand on one's rifle and caliber choice like no other. Might be interesting to hear top choices from those that live there. I don't, however I do live where it rains a lot. My vote goes to stainless steel, synthetic stocks, and a .375 caliber. So I'm gunna say: The Ruger .375 Alaskan.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were to go there, I'd use a 358, all weather rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I had to pick one "off the shelf" rifle for Alaska it would be the SS Ruger .375.
However, both of my gun safes remind me every day we are not limited to oneSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't really think there is a "do-all" rifle for Alaska. That opinion comes from 40 years of hunting here. I think the minimum is 2. My favorites are my .270 Win. with 150 Partitions for sheep & caribou and my .338 Mag. for moose & the largest of bears. In my .338, it's a 225 gr. Northfork. Were I to go after a brownie, it would possibly be a 240 Northfork or 250 Partition.
The closest I could consider an "all around" chambering would POSSIBLY be a .30 Cal magnum (.300. Win mag., .300 WSM., .300 Weatherby, etc) though I personally think the .30 Cals. are a bit light for the largest bears.
Just my opinions & not worth a hoot.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One rifle one cailber 338wm or 375 HH or 375 ruger in stainless Sytec.

But what boring life only one rifle. Wink

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
win mod 70 stainless classic in 338 or 375 with a mcmillan stock.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several rifles to choose from but over the last year have used a 338-06 to harvest a moose, black bear, caribou, and 7.5 foot brown bear. It is dura-coated with a B&C synthetic stock shooting 200 gr BT and 250 PT bullets. It has become my 'go to' rifle.

Posts: 152 | Location: Carlisle. PA | Registered: 25 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
redleg,

curious about the 338-06. i am finishing up the current phase of my 375 project and want to get a m70 in 30 06 then have it rebarreled to 338-06 and put into a nice mcmillan stock and finish it off with a nice coating of some sort.

anything you care to share about it including pics would be great!

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I certainly hate admitting to prefering vanilla ice cream but in my experience the 30-06 has worked well.

In Dillingham anymore I carry nothing but my .375 H&H. I know how to use it and what it will do so it seems a good fit here.

However, I have used my 30-06 on big moose, dall sheep and interior brown bears in addition to big game in the Lower 48 and Zimbabwe's plainsgame. Were I to hunt Kodiak for deer, the Chugach for sheep, Petersburg for black bear or Kotzebue for caribou I'd bring my -06. Recoil and rifle weight is managable, ammo is available and terminal performance is well documented ad nauseum.

I would prefer a stainless rifle but only have blued/ synthetic stocks.

Posts: 9091 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Kimber 8400 Montana .300 win mag - .325wsm for all around use on anything other than brown/griz bear. One of the .375 calibres in stainless/synthetic for brown/griz bear.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
If you can't do it with a 30-06 the problem is not with the rifle.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4196 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:

You are right Phil, with good bullets the 30-06 will do. But what caliber would you choose if you could only take one? A 375 I guess?

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without having to buy a new gun, I already have it. Ruger M77 Hawkeye, Matte SS finish, chambered in 35 Whelen. I am currently loading Hornady 250 gr rn. I would not feel undergunned with that load out to 250-300 yds. That being said, I would not feel undergunned with my 06 with a good 180 gr bullet either.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was wondering if anyone was going to pick the .35 Whelen. It's just about my favorite cartridge. But for myself, I like any of the medium thru large bores; more about the rifle it's chambered in than the cartridge within reason. A custom rifle came in the shop the other day with an HS Precision stock, and now I have to have one for the .375 Ruger. Sweeeeeet!

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No question the answer to the original question at least regarding caliber is a 338 WM. The 338 shots long and hard. You can take any animal, large (Brownie's) or far (sheep hunting). This is absolutely the best all around caliber for up here.
I own several 338's but I never hunt with them because I don't have to chose one rifle and I just love my 300 WM. and 375 H&H. I never leave home without one of them.
As for rifle make, Winchester Model 70 SS. It's the best factory rifle put out in a very long time. I have one in a 338 and one in a 375. The 375 has been all over the world and beat up as any true hunting rifle will be and I've got to tell you, it just keeps putting 300 gr pills of any make right in the bull. It never fails to cycle a casing regardless of the conditions. Just a great rifle, if you can find one.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Only ONE rifle = ammo availability = 30-06,
although I'd prefer larger, say-
375 H&H /Ruger
338 WM
338/06
9.3x62
35 Whelen
etc

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
win mod 70 stainless classic in 338 or 375 with a mcmillan stock.

That would be my pick but would include the .300WM

You should ask Mark Young who posts here. He lived/hunted/worked (very little) in Alaska for a long time.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carbon steel is better under severe cold conditions.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
Carbon steel is better under severe cold conditions.

Why? What evidence is there? I too have heard the rumor that stainless steel is not as strong but There are literally tons of stainless Rugers, Winchesters and S&W's being used during the interior winters at temps below minus 50 degrees with no problems, and if there were I doubt the large makers would take the risk.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am just so impressed with my new Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in 375 Ruger. I puts fac.ammo (300 grs SP) in .3" - .4" clusters. The 270 grs fac.ammo is not as good - groups average about .7 -.8". And the little 20" barrel give very good velocities (2865f/s with Hornady 270 grs SP ammo and 2665 f/s with Hornady 300 grs SP ammo). I just like that little rifle (except for the Hogue overmoulded stock - a McMillan is ordered..)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 340 wea rebarrelled years back by Krieger with a stainless tube.
They (Krieger) told me if I was hunting polar bear it would be better to have a chrome moly barrel over a stainless.
I just do not believe I will be hunting @30 below so I stuck with a stainless.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
But then what about all those stainless Rugers, Winchesteres and others in Alaska as Phil mentions?? No issues up there???

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had Brown Precision build a synthatic/stainless 338WM for me in '84. I used it as my primary rifle in Alaska for about 15 years. It was lightweight and very deadly on everything. I can't imagine a better all around AK rig.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
My caliber of choice would be a 9.3x62, and even though I already own one is a Blaser R-93 Tracker, my first choice would be a Mauser M03 Trail or Extreme.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:

+1

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting choices all. The .338 certainly makes a lot of sense to me.
.458Win's comment is a little confusing to me however. Yes a .30-06 will do in any game animal on earth for sure with a very well placed shot. But I doubt it would be first choice of most folks for a large Brown bear at spitting distance. If I'm wrong Phil, then why would you be shooting a .375, or even give the .505 Gibbs a try? I do remember reading one of your articles about your .30-06 not giving you enough lea' way for such close encounters. If I remember correctly, 'And I do', that's how your .458 Mauser came about in the first place. Wore a straight 2.5 power Leupold scope as I recall. And the paint job has been my model for a few of my rifles in the past.
No dis-respect for sure; just a little confused by your comments. As far as that goes, I believe a 7x57 will do anything that needs to be done, but would certainly not be my first choice for anything that will bite me. I also enjoy shooting larger calibers such as a .375 anything, and have even shot ground squirrels with a .460 Weatherby, just because I found it enjoyable. I'm not very recoil sensitive, and see no point in shooting game with the smallest possible calibers, such as Deer with a .223 just because it's legal. I do however believe it sensible to use the largest caliber a man can shoot 'WELL' for any dangerous game. Yes, I can shoot groups as small with any .375 as I can a .223 IF the rifle is capable of it.
A large Brown Bear I imagine can weigh as much as a African buffalo, and I would not consider using an '06 for one of them. I'm just not THAT brave.
Now IF I were on a guided hunt I would expect the guide will have a stopping rifle to handle any screw ups, so I may not be as concerned with my rifles chambering. But that's not what I'm talking about. I was talking about being alone with one rifle for all game in Alaska, with no back up, under all conditions. O', and really enjoy your articles Phil; keep them coming.
I'm all ears if someone can convince me I'm wrong.
Cheers.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
My point is that if one is hunting anywhere in Alsaka - either alone of with a guide - the 30-06 is all that is needed. Even for backup - for 50 years or longer the 30-06 was THE choice of the majority of Alaskan guides and if they had had the bullets we have today they would have thought they had the perfect rifle.

That said, I do agree that there are better rifles for the purpose of following up dangerous game and in all honesty there were a few moments when I was alone in the thickest brush and could hear the bear maneuvering ahead of me that I would have felt better with my 458 as I knew that I might only get off one shot. but I also knew from experience that as long as I shot well the 30-06 with the 220 partitions would be all I needed. fortunately it was.

Remind me again how I can upload my photo from photo bucket and I'll post a picture.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
We have a lot of sourdoughs with considerable time in Alaska in our family.

In my mind, it depends on where you live.

I would say two rifles are always preferred.

A big bolt or lever in a caliber 475 or above, and a 30-06, 300 mag, 8mm mag, 270, 7mm. For the Brown Bear banana belt.

For the North of the brown bear banana belt crowd. A single rifle in a 338, 358, 9.3, or 375 caliber magnum or 06 based case is fine.

The considerationg is that you always have grizzly bears to deal with, your hunting moose, and it's nice to have more rifle on black bears.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bravo Phil!
Spoken like a true gentleman. I understand your point, and it is a very good one. I would also assume that it get's pretty tiring having to take hunters out for a Bear that are carrying a hard kicking rifle that they can't shoot well. Most would be much better off with a lighter re-coiling rifle; would be able to shoot better, and reduce your pucker factor greatly.
I think you also raise another good point, which is; that after a lot of years, the plain Jane .30-06 is one very good cartridge!
Phil, I'm not positive, but I think you highlight your photo bucket picture link, right click and hit copy. Then go to the place you want to have it, then right click again and hit paste. But I could be wrong. Anyone else?
I'm sure we would all like to see some pic's. I know I would.
Cheers! clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not own a 338 Win Mag, as I have a 300 Win Mag, and a 375 H&H...

But If I lived in AK and wanted one rifle for everything, I would get a 338 Win Mag barrel for my synthentic Blaser R 93.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've spent more time with a 223AI in my hands then anything else so I guess that one will get the nod.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Need 2 , both stainless Ruger bolt guns .. 223 , and a 375 ,or 416 Ruger .. Put the same black plastic stocks on them and off you go ...... Huntin with an 06 is like framing a house with a 16 oz hammer ,,, YUK .

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
Need 2 , both stainless Ruger bolt guns .. 223 , and a 375 ,or 416 Ruger .. Put the same black plastic stocks on them and off you go ...... Huntin with an 06 is like framing a house with a 16 oz hammer ,,, YUK .

Being a retired general building contractor, I applaud your reply Gumboot!

Not sure what you do with a .223 however. . . . .

clap

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post

Bull on our right taken with a 350 Rem mag. Bull on our left taken with a 8mm Rem mag. Bull in the center taken with a 30-06.

The 30-06 is capable, reasonable, useable and affordable.

Yeah yeah, I favor the .375 anymore.

Posts: 9091 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
. Beins I had a mooseless season this year , I don,t want to see any pictures of nice beautiful moose racks , even ones killed with a boreing caliber !!!!! Roll Eyes

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
223 is great for all kinds of stuff , like squirrels and wabbits ,and fox , and coyotes , and wolves , and caribou , with the TSX bullet ....... The 375 is pretty forgiving on most everything up here . With the 270 gr bullet @ 2700 fps , it doesn,t kick much .. The Ruger Alaskan with a canoe paddle stock doesn,t weigh much . And it shoots flat enough for most all of my hunting . tho the 260 gr AccuBond or a 260 ? gr GS HV would help to flatten it maybe a little more ..... The 416 is pretty much the same execpt a little more smash up close .. A 300 gr tsx @ 2800 fps is alot of snoose .....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Best Alaska rifle & caliber?

The title asked for best rifle and caliber, not a bear stopping rifle.... so taking an all around everyday rifle, that may or may not ever encounter a bear, the 06 is pretty good. one of the 300's might be just a little better though.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2578 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted Alaska several times and have used a .300 Win mag, .340 Wby and last but not least a .358 STA. The later is my choice as the ideal Alaskan rifle. I have two rifles, one with a wood stock and the other with a composite stock. Both have the same scope, a 4.5 X 14 Leupold Vari-X III. My trips to that great state now have me taking both with one as a back-up or picking the one I want to better match the weather. A 270 grain North Fork bullet at 2900 fps will do the job if I do mine, regardless what is in front of me. After a close encounter with 4 big Bears with the .300 in my hands, I now feel much better with the larger chamberings and bullets. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
--
After a close encounter with 4 big Bears with the .300 in my hands, I now feel much better with the larger chamberings and bullets.--

I know that feeling-- shocker
Sure makes a lasting impression

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger Hawkeye .375 Ruger Alaskan would be HARD to beat. Mine is a .375 Weatherby I've had for years before the .375 Ruger was a twinkle in Ruger's eyes Big Grin

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote