THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OUTFITTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Outfitters - Offered and Discounted Hunts    Sebra Hunting Safaris Namibia PG Small Group Hunt Offer.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sebra Hunting Safaris Namibia PG Small Group Hunt Offer.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This offer has been authorized by Jan du Plessis of Sebra Hunt Safaris.

I've been enjoying hunting in Namibia for a number of years, sometimes multiple trips a year. My wife and I have traveled/toured by car pretty extensively. What I'd like to do is offer up my services in putting together a small group of hunters who've always dreamed of going but, either have had no one to go with or have been a bit intimidated by the idea of traveling out of the US to the "dark continent" alone. I’m retired military (USAF Lt. Col.) and have traveled and lived overseas a LOT!

What I specifically want to offer is organizing a small group of 2-4 people who would like to go. I'll help coordinate the dates, routing, airfare and travel details, temp rifle import permits and be your personal guide there and back from a common US meet up location. I will pay my own way/expenses. I do not handle "the money" - that is directly between you and Jan.

I don't get a commission or a "cut" of the fees and I will not be one of the “hunters”. I might go along as an extra set of eyes and help track and recover game or I may be off doing something else from day-to-day as Jan and the situation requires. My only desire is to honestly help others achieve what may be a life long dream.

The place we've been going to is http://www.sebrahunt.com/. A good number of people here have hunted this property and surrounding area. It's about a 6-hr drive NW of the capital of Namibia in the northwestern mountains/highlands. It's about 50K acres of private land, all low-fenced, free range and fair chase. There are a couple of large (25k-30k+ acre) high fenced properties you might hunt on, depending on the species you're after. Our "group" will be the only ones on the property or "in camp", for the duration of the hunt.

I’ve copied a complete price list and details for 2018. Jan (PH) has said the 2018 rates will be the same for 2019. The normal 1x1 daily rate is $350.00 per person, per day and 2x1 is $275.00 p/p/d. He said if two or more come in the group the daily rate for all would be $275.00 p/d/d unless someone in the group wants to hunt exclusively 1x1.

I would recommend the length of a hunt be 10-days minimum, but can be whatever the group decides. Why? Because your going to spend the same money and time getting there and back if you hunt one day or twenty-one days. By taking a few extra days, you can be a bit more selective in the quality of the game you shoot. Other reason I recommend 10-days or more, is most people have 2-weeks of vacation a year. Given the time it takes to get there and back, you can make a 10-day hunt in a 14-15 day total vacation window depending on the airline routing/schedules.

I would recommend a flexible target time frame of July to no later than mid September. This is based on several things:
a) Generally lower airfare after 15 Aug
b) Temps and humidity can be uncomfortably warm and high early in the season (Feb-Apr) and still chance of rains that can make road/trails impassible due to flooding.
c) While it is nice to see it “green” in April/May, the extra vegetation can make game harder to locate. Plus, early in the season, the game is more scattered up in the mountains because they have good food supplies and plenty of water in potholes and small seasonal springs from the rainy season. By late July, the natural water in the mountains has dried up, forcing regular game movement between the mountains and permanent water points in the valleys.
d) Temps will be a bit more comfortable – lows in the 40’s, highs in the high 70’s low 80’s. After mid Sep, mid-day temps climb fast

Shooting/hunting pressure on the property is very light – only 6-10 “hunts” total per year.

Below is copied directly from Sebra’s 2018 Price Sheet. Again, Jan said prices for 2019 will be the same.

Sebra Hunting Safaris - Jan & Mariesje du Plessis
P.O. Box 146 Outjo, Namibia
Mobile: +264 81 2275604
Email: sebra@iway.na

DAILY RATES AND TROPHY FEES:
* All prices are in U.S. Dollars
1 Hunter / 1 Guide (1 x 1) $350.00 per person per day
2 Hunters / 1 Guide (2 x 1) $275.00 per person per day
Observer $150.00 per person per day
*Arrival and departure days will count as transport days and will be charged at the observer rate.

2018 TROPHY FEES:
Giraffe $2000.00 Duiker $550.00
Eland $2750.00 Klipspringer $1750.00
Kudu $1750.00 Steenbok $500.00
Gemsbok $850.00 Damara dik-dik $2500.00
Springbok $650.00 Baboon $200.00
Blue Wildebeest $1650.00 Cheetah $3000.00
Black Wildebeest $1650.00 Spotted Hyena $1750.00
Red hartebeest $900.00 Brown Hyena $1750.00
Hartmann’s Zebra $1350.00 Caracal $650.00
Warthog $650.00 Jackal $50.00
Impala $850.00 Sable (Price on Request)
Waterbuck (Price on Request)
**Other species available on request**

Leopard package: (contact us for details)
14 days: $17,500.00
21 days: $21,500.00

GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
•Full room and board accommodation. •Issuing of permits for some species is subjected to changing quotas. •Lost, wounded game considered “taken” and charged at full price. • The issuing of permits for some species is subjected to quotas. •No hidden costs!

PRICES INCLUDE:
•Hunting permit. •PH services. •Use of hunting vehicles. •Initial preparation of trophies – skinning, salting/drying and delivery to local taxidermist. •Accommodation. •All meals, soft drinks, wine and beer. •Daily laundry and maid service •Government mandated 15% VAT on daily rates. •There are no hidden fees!

PRICES EXCLUDE:
•Any and all taxidermist fees. •Dipping, packing and shipping of trophies. •International phone calls. •Insurance and medical expenses. •Tips and Gratuities. •Hard alcohol/liquor

TERMS OF BUSINESS:
• Confirmation of a plains game hunt booking will require a deposit of $1500.00. • Confirmation of a leopard hunt booking will require a deposit of $3000.00. • The balance of the total daily rate is due 60-days prior to the start of your safari. •Trophy fees and any safari extras, are due and payable at the completion of your safari. • Payment must be paid in cash or wire transfer before leaving Namibia. Namibian banks do not accept non-Namibian based bank issued personal checks, travelers checks, cashiers checks, certified checks or money orders.

CANCELLATION POLICY:
• Safaris cancelled more than 180-days prior to scheduled safari date - 50% of the deposit will be refunded. • Safaris cancelled between 180-days and 60-days prior to scheduled safari date - no deposit will be refunded. • Safaris cancelled less than 60-days prior to scheduled safari date - total daily rate will be forfeited unless the client finds a replacement. • Rescheduling, instead of refunding, is possible on a case by case and alternate open dates available.

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with Jan; puts on a good hunt. Best food I have ever had. First time I hunted he had hordes of gemsbok but not many kudu (the Namibia rabies epidemic); the second time saw a lot of kudu but not many gembok (drought).

Jan let me shoot all the baboons and jackals I wanted. Shot a 54 inch kudu and 39 inch gemsbok (bull) and a really nice springbok (free range) that was much bigger than the first one I shot. Tons of zebra and hyena (shot one while leopard hunting) as well. I have shot also klipspringer and steinbok. Saw duiker.

Someday I may go back just for a varmint shoot!

PM me if you want details.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I can HIGHLY RECOMMEND this group hunt with Gusteaux. I have hunted FOUR times with Jan, and have already scheduled my May 2019 hunt with Jan, and wired my deposit. One item that Mike omitted was the quality of the food. Jan’s wife Mariesje is a world class gourmet cook, as well as a sweetheart. I published Hunt Reports for all four of my Sebra hunts here on AR.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks AZ and Bud for the positive feedback on Jan and Mariesje's place.

I want to make a couple of points of clarification:

1. Anyone who wants to go there alone or with their own group is more than welcome to go completely outside of my offer to help put this group together and be the personal travel guide for this group. I'll still offer all the help I can to anyone who books with them as well.

2. Daily rates and trophy fees are the same whether you go with this group, alone or a group you put together.

3. Animals available directly on his property or neighboring low-fence properties are:

Duiker $550.00, Klipspringer $1750.00, Kudu $1750.00, Steenbok $500.00, Gemsbok $850.00, Damara dik-dik $2500.00, Springbok $650.00 Baboon $200.00 Hartmann’s Mountain Zebra $1350.00 Caracal $650.00 Warthog $650.00 Jackal $50.00

Spotted Hyena $1750.00 and Brown Hyena $1750.00 are available on the property BUT, a separate permit from the normal hunting license MUST BE APPLIED FOR BEFORE YOU ARRIVE AND NOT GUARANTEED THE MET WILL ISSUE IT.

Cheetah $3000.00 are seen in the area and occasionally on the property. While they can be shot, NO EXPORT LICENSE is allowed, issued or available.

The remaining species are hunted off Jan's property on very large high fence farms. This is because these species were either not ever native to the region or were completely shot off 100 years ago:

Giraffe $2000.00, Eland $2750.00, Blue Wildebeest $1650.00, Black Wildebeest $1650.00
Red hartebeest $900.00, Impala $850.00 Sable (Price on Request), Waterbuck (Price on Request)

One bit of good news is the increasing numbers of roaming elephant through the region are playing havoc with the high fence properties and some species are "escaping" and very small free roaming herds are occasionally seen in the region.

We have occasionally seen elephant and lions, aardwolf, bat eared fox and a host of other small mammals, region unique birds and a few snakes.

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Jan enough to know three things for certain: #1 You will not get the Ruger off his hip #2 He is an excellent hunter. #3 you're a better man than me if you can get him to crack a smile while in the field.

Make a trip to Sebra for many reasons you will not regret it.

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RickyClark
posted Hide Post
I would also like to recommend this hunt, Jan is an excellent hunter and good company, you will have a fun time

lets make a plan

Posts: 98 | Location: England | Registered: 29 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend and I hunted with Jan in 2013. It was a great hunt with excellent quality animals. Not only did I make Jan smile in the field, he laughed. We told a lot of jokes (that we could not tell when we were back at the house).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted with Jan in 2007. Got a 52 inch Kudu, and a 41" Gemsbok Bull along with a Zebra, Jackle, and Baboon. I consider that trip as the pinicle of my hunting experiences to date. If I get the chance to go back I certainly hope Jan is still hunting at that time. The food as mentioned above was absolutely amazing.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
#1 You will not get the Ruger off his hip

Ahem, I actually got to use his Ruger on a cheeky gemsbok a long time ago. I even got him to smile.

Yes, I did! Wink

Jan's outfit, Sebra, is top notch.

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jan does take "the hunt" seriously but, once you get to know each other a bit, he does loosen up some. If you really want to see him get "serious", get on some elephant with him! That is a whole new level.

Ann - we actually booked our first trip there via one of your posts here for a last minute cancellation hunt with Jan. Funny story is that we had such a good time there, we found out the reason the guy had to cancel was when his wife found out he booked a hunt, she filed for divorce - got that directly from him!! We had such a good time that I sent him his forfeited security deposit. Told him he was going to need it worse than me!!

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ann - we actually booked our first trip there via one of your posts here for a last minute cancellation hunt with Jan. Funny story is that we had such a good time there, we found out the reason the guy had to cancel was when his wife found out he booked a hunt, she filed for divorce - got that directly from him!! We had such a good time that I sent him his forfeited security deposit. Told him he was going to need it worse than me!!

Ow wow, poor man! That was nice of you to do.

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Wow! I wonder if he'd known in advance that would be the reaction, if he would have booked the trip anyway.

My wife, son, an old friend and I hunted with Sebra in 2016 and had a great time. Certainly we recommend them highly. Jan and Mariesje are great hosts and she is an amazing cook as everyone has said.

quote:
Originally posted by Gusteaux:
Jan does take "the hunt" seriously but, once you get to know each other a bit, he does loosen up some. If you really want to see him get "serious", get on some elephant with him! That is a whole new level.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Refunding the guys security deposit was actually pretty easy decision. We had such a great time for one and when I actually talked to the guy on the phone when we got back, it was easy to tell he was pretty devastated.

Plus, my own not too distant, at that time, divorce experience where I came back from a 11 month deployment to the middle east (pre 9/11) to find the house empty, bank accounts empty and divorce papers on the kitchen counter with just the phone number of her attorney..... I could seriously empathize with the guy.

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gusteaux:
Refunding the guys security deposit was actually pretty easy decision. We had such a great time for one and when I actually talked to the guy on the phone when we got back, it was easy to tell he was pretty devastated.

Plus, my own not too distant, at that time, divorce experience where I came back from a 11 month deployment to the middle east (pre 9/11) to find the house empty, bank accounts empty and divorce papers on the kitchen counter with just the phone number of her attorney..... I could seriously empathize with the guy.

Very rough. And incredibly cold-hearted. I was divorced once before my now 24 year marriage. It was hard of course but not like that. Anyway, good of you to give him the funds.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a few inquiries. This does NOT have to be a full group of four. Could be just an individual who'd like to make their first trip and has no one to go with. Could be just a couple of buddies, father/son, father/daughter, husband/wife etc.

This can also be some hunting and sightseeing. Windhoek, the capital city, is good for a couple of days. Swakopmund/Walvis Bay on the Skeleton Coast is good for a couple of days. Fish River Canyon, second largest canyon on the planet, with a stop in Sossusvlei along the way is good for a couple of days. Etosha National Park is good for a day and an overnight.

Can fly up to Victoria Falls for a couple of days and include a day-trip or overnight to Chobe National Park. Lots of options beside/including hunting.