THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Afton Guesthouse VS African Sky
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Afton Guesthouse VS African Sky
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone stayed at either (or both) of them in the last year?
My wife has a phobia about having to leave the guest house for dinner and Afton does not offer an onsite resturant but African Sky does.
I would appreciate your thoughts/comparisons of the two.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add that we will not be taking rifles with us, so the permit issues won't be a problem.

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I have never stayed at Afton House but Africa Sky several times. The food there is fantastic!

I think the stay at Africa Sky is my wife's favorite part of the trip!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have stayed at Afton three times. Its fine. Food is good, but dinner choice is steak only. And the steak is excellent, but if you don't want steak....
I have a friend that has stayed at both, he likes Skyhouse better.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have stayed at both. You cant go wrong at either place. My wife liked the atmosphere better at African Sky. When we go to Africa this fall we will probably stay at African Sky. Smiler

Posts: 68 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AS all the way. Fantastic atmosphere and a great menu.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I have stayed at African Sky in 2012 and would stay there again.

My FIL stayed there in 2013 and had an excellent experience as well.

I have never stay at Afton

If you search, you will find African Sky seems to becoming the new standard for hunters seeking overnight guest houses in Johannesburg and Afton is falling behind.

Of course, some will come along and tell you how great Afton was for their trip in 2001, and I don't doubt that. But you never read anything negative about them back then either;negative reports about them recently are easily found. Farming folks out to other houses, overpriced food, and pushy trinket sales from your 'hosts' are the ones that come to mind.

I encourage you to search here and 24hourcampfire.com and come to your own conclusions. After all, it is your trip.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I stayed in Afton the last two times there. It was three times too many. Choice for supper? Steak or steak. Very pricey ,too.
Last time broke the camel's back. Had an in country flight screw up and had to stay an extra day. They made no attempts to feed us the next day (luckily we had snacks for the safari) until supper when we were given the choice of steak or steak-very expensive.
This year we're staying in City Lodge in and above the airport. Did it once already. Convenient. Food court available for many choices. Don't have to driven all over Joberg to stay. Has a separate room to lock your guns in. It's a very nice place.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 249 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did the City Lodge thing last May and it is very clean, and obviously very convenient. Great breakfast. I got bored though just walking around in the airport until I got sleepy about 10pm. I'm staying at Africa Sky on April 22 to try something different, and based on the numerous great reviews by fellow hunters who've used them. Gotta say I'm looking forward to it very much.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
I have stayed at both.

I do prefer the African Sky and will stay there again this August.

Great service and a great place to stay and eat dinner.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
African Sky doesn't seem very secure from intruders. Afton House did. At Afton House, there is one meal per night so you will have dining companions. At African Sky you will be alone at your table. Both have issues. Next time I will give City Lodge a try.

Posts: 440 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have stayed at African Sky many times. They have good bedding, a nice pool, workout room, bar, on the honor system, with a big veranda to relax on and great food. You can dine alone or with friendly folks you might meet there.

Posts: 1790 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have stayed at Afton House on two trips, first in 2012 and second in 2014. Great place and service both times. The people there are nice, and I like the atmosphere getting to meet other hunters. I'll stay there again. The trinket salesman wasn't there last year.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have stayed numerous times at Afton House, Africa Sky and City Lodge. They are all great. I really like City Lodge for its convenience. The buffet food at City Lodge was also great for both dinner and breakfast. I know both Annelise (Afton House) and Deidre (Africa Sky), and they are wonderful hosts. I've eaten at both of those guest houses, as well as have had Annelise drive us out to restaurants and I've never been disappointed. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my only trip to date I stayed at Africa Sky. As it was a late season hunt there were on half a dozen people there. I would recomended it. Great hospitalaty.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
tu2

African Sky

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have stayed at Afton House both times. The place just has a history and the personal touches that only Annelise can provide.

The other places you mention are new in comparsion, and just lack the history and charm.

Smaller facilities just have that something that a big, new place lacks. Annelise and Afton House are just like visiting family.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A number of years ago I booked Afton house and they were overbooked sent me to the Rhino Lodge it was not optimal. I would not book with them again.

Posts: 170 | Location: Vero Beach Florida | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I have stayed at Afton House both times. The place just has a history and the personal touches that only Annelise can provide.

The other places you mention are new in comparsion, and just lack the history and charm.

Smaller facilities just have that something that a big, new place lacks. Annelise and Afton House are just like visiting family.

Rich

Well said....I've stayed there 5 or 6 times now and feel the same way.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stayed at the Afton last September for the first time and was not impressed. I have never stayed at the African Sky. This September I'm going back for a 3-week hunt and plan on staying at the InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport. A little bit more expensive but it's right at the airport and has great amenities.

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our family made our third trip thru Afton House last August. We're happy repeat customers!

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I contacted them for assistance AT Joburg airport, no response unfortunately.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback from all of you.
We booked with Afton House and will be there on April 8. Several things came into play on making this choice, with the comment from ISS about the history and charm being the tie breaker. We aren't looking for the "Hilton/Holiday Inn" type experience.
I'll post back after our return and let you know our thoughts/experiences.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I've stayed at both. I think African Sky has better food, but Afton house felt more secure and quaint.

Either are fine in my opinion, but would pick Afton if I had a choice.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tracker49:
Thanks for the feedback from all of you.
We booked with Afton House and will be there on April 8. Several things came into play on making this choice, with the comment from ISS about the history and charm being the tie breaker. We aren't looking for the "Hilton/Holiday Inn" type experience.
I'll post back after our return and let you know our thoughts/experiences.

I think you will enjoy the time you spend there. Have fun!

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
I've stayed at both, only once at the Afton House and three times at the AfricaSky. I prefer the AfricaSky - owners and staff have always been very personable and helpful, the facility is clean and comfortable, food is good. Nice if you have a decent arrival time. Last trip we didn't arrive until 11pm, so we stayed at the InterContinental. It was fine and the breakfast buffet was outstanding.

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
The guy that made the comment about "charm" didn't say he'd even seen AfricaSky. I've stayed at both, each a few times. AfricaSky hands down. And it does have charm. Everyone involved in serving visiting hunters, including PHs, are usually extremely nice by American standards. But they're not family. It's business, for gosh sakes.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I stayed at Afton . . . once. If charm means having a room that is so small that the bed is half way in the bathroom and you have to hold your breath to turn around in the room, then yes, it has charm.

Mike

Posts: 21211 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
To quote myslef from my 2013 hunt report below:
quote:
I have to say, with some reluctance, that the total experience at ASGH was far superior to my last stay in SA which was at the Afton Guest House. The mood at the ASGH was upbeat, the staff friendly, the accommodations comfortable, the food excellent, and the transfers efficient.
I don't want to trash Afton by listing specifics, but feel free to PM me.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't get the pharse "charm" as it relates to either one of these facilities.

Clean, safe, comfortable. In between. Both of them. They are, what they are. I'd go back to either one.

You want something different? You want something "better"? Pay the price.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stayed at Afton house 5 years ago, and liked it fine. My room was small, but nice enough. The steak dinner on site, actually really hit the spot, and enjoyed a couple of beverages and wandered around their grounds a little, which I thought were quite nice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the good news: you can stay where ever you wish, budget allowing.

I had heard about Afton House for a couple decades before ever taking a trip to Africa to hunt Cape Buffalo in December of 2008.

It has, for me at least, a certain ambiance that takes decades to develop. But my taste runs to smaller places. I have, on both occasions had a queen size bed. The garden lawn area is a pleasant place to enjoy a good Cuban Cigar and some single malt scotch in the afternoon.

An aside; I take my old Jaguar convertible on trips inside the continental US instead of flying. And, I tend to stay off the Interstate unless I am seriously pressed for time.

It is unlikely that I save much money, with hotels and meals thrown in. It also takes two days to get to the old family farm instead of several hours. However, since retiring in the fall of 2008, I am no longer slave to time.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it was just me alone or with a hunting buddy, then we would probably just stay at the airport.

But with my wife and kids along too then I am on for Africa Sky.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
ISS's speaking of history is a big factor here as history is why we go there. I think Annalisa's dad was a PH or a hunter. I seem to recall a carving of Sampson and a lion attack. I knew Sampson many years ago. I don't expect much when I travel, just privacy and quiet with a hot shower. Room size is not that important. Safety and security of my gun case is and Afton is secure. The steak dinner was a major let down--a budget cut of meat, soggy and cold garlic bread and a salad that was soaking in dressing too long. They used to charge $20, then went to $25. What is the price now, anyone? My next trip I will stay there again but ask the driver on the way there to stop at McDonalds which is not to far off the path, enjoy a visit, not be held hostage by the steak dinner, and then retire early to make up for jet lag.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
ISS's speaking of history is a big factor here as history is why we go there. I think Annalisa's dad was a PH or a hunter. I seem to recall a carving of Sampson and a lion attack. I knew Sampson many years ago. I don't expect much when I travel, just privacy and quiet with a hot shower. Room size is not that important. Safety and security of my gun case is and Afton is secure. The steak dinner was a major let down--a budget cut of meat, soggy and cold garlic bread and a salad that was soaking in dressing too long. They used to charge $20, then went to $25. What is the price now, anyone? My next trip I will stay there again but ask the driver on the way there to stop at McDonalds which is not to far off the path, enjoy a visit, not be held hostage by the steak dinner, and then retire early to make up for jet lag.
Cal

Cal, I actually like the steak however, they will drive you to a verity of restaurants (some darn good ones at that) tu2
Have stayed at Afton heaps of times but only once at Africa Sky ( didn't actualy sleep in the room compliments to a night out with Kambakos manager 2020),

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
I have stayed at Afton Guesthouse several times. The steak on site was very good. They also will take you and pick you up from a very nice Italian restaurant or an excellent seafood restaurant. The rooms are adequate and the grounds very secure. It all works fine for me. That being said, I am low maintenance. Smiler

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

Cal, I actually like the steak however, they will drive you to a verity of restaurants (some darn good ones at that) tu2
Have stayed at Afton heaps of times but only once at Africa Sky ( didn't actualy sleep in the room compliments to a night out with Kambakos manager 2020),

Adam
I know what your talking about. He did a number on us last year.
Makes for a short night and a long day following it.
Lets have a quiet one!! Smiler

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kaizer
posted Hide Post
I have stayed at Afton, Africa Sky and City Lodge, each multiple times. I can easily rank them as Africa Sky first, City Lodge second, and Afton third. Africa Sky has by far the best service, best ambiance and best food. It is now my first choice every time. City Lodge is most convenient (you walk to it from the terminal) and has an excellent restaurant in it. It's a good choice if your flight gets in late in the evening and you have another flight the next morning. Alhough Afton has some "history" to it, that doesn't count for much when the rooms are small and dated, the service is nothing special, and the food selection is limited. Afton is a third option if the other two are unavailable. Going again in August and it will be Africa Sky between landing in Joberg and departing for Zim, and then again after returning from Zim and then driving in South Africa. I would bet that the great majority of those who have stayed at both Africa Sky and Afton will choose Africa Sky.

Posts: 92 | Location: Near Illinois-Wisconsin Border | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies guys.
We arrived at Afton House on April 8, after being met at the reception area at Tambo. Just a short walk with our greeter to the curb and into the shuttle bus. Short trip to Afton and we were "officially" in Africa again. We had the steak dinner and talked with two other couples that were there then off to bed.
Full breakfast in the A.M., then back to Tambo where our greeter met us again and escorted us to the SAA checkin for our connecting flight.
No problems whatsoever. Facilities were neat and clean, queen size bed, good food. We were satisfied and would use them again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Her I sit in Room 10 At Africa Sky. You guys nailed it.......fantastic service from the time I arrived at Tambo. Easy SAPS clearance, great rooms that are spacious and clean, and a killer filet for dinner. Washing it all down with a couple of Castle's as we speak. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote