New
Find
Notify
Tools

Night Mare Flight!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 66938 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Service minded airline!

WSJ had devoted a lot of ink on this story in today's edition.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I can honestly say I have had a few issues on most major carriers, but I can say with certainty that American Airlines is the worst airline I have ever flown. I will go out of my way to avoid flying AA...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when I saw the thread title, I figured that it would be about American Airlines or
United.

I avoid both!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed
If you keep posting these airline horror stories we will be afraid to fly. Oh wait, AOC and her like are going to ban those evil, carbon spewing planes. I feel better already.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once asked an American ticket agent if he ever heard of Cabela's?

he said "sure"...

And I replied "then you should take to heart their customer service, as it puts yours to shame".

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Better to live and grip about a 3 day delay than be a name on a list of passengers who died when the plane went down because of mechanical issues.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
Better to live and grip about a 3 day delay than be a name on a list of passengers who died when the plane went down because of mechanical issues.

BH63

When one of the issues that delayed them a day is because they didn't fill out the required pre-flight paperwork, they can't say it was all mechanical issues.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I certainly don’t know the details of the paperwork issue, but it is not uncommon after aircraft maintenance to require higher ups to sign off on the work.

Most require a thorough review of the work performed and an assessment that it resolved the root cause of the maintenance issue.

I doubt that the airline staff deliberately slowed down the process since every extra minute a plane is grounded costs the airline lots of money.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
I certainly don’t know the details of the paperwork issue, but it is not uncommon after aircraft maintenance to require higher ups to sign off on the work.

Most require a thorough review of the work performed and an assessment that it resolved the root cause of the maintenance issue.

I doubt that the airline staff deliberately slowed down the process since every extra minute a plane is grounded costs the airline lots of money.

BH63

The article said that the crew forgot to file the standard weight and balance pre-flight paperwork required for every flight.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:

BH63

The article said that the crew forgot to file the standard weight and balance pre-flight paperwork required for every flight.

As a former AA pilot, the fact is the flight crew does not file the standard weight and balance pre-flight paperwork. That would be handled by dispatch. Not the flight crew, if that is indeed the issue, which I strongly doubt. Maybe a small part of it but that's the type of thing that is quickly and easily rectified in a matter of minutes. The flight crew is responsible for checking over the paperwork, not generating it. If errors are found, dispatch is notified and new paperwork is transmitted. It can be received at the gate on a standard printer or via ACARS in the jet.

As usual, the media got it wrong. My guess, without knowing all the details, is there is more to this story than what the media is using to sensationalize it. Again, as usual.

What I suspect is, from experience, once a maintenance item surfaces, it creates a chain reaction as to what back up systems are required for the go / no go decision. If there were certain deferrals in the log book allowing the plane to fly per the Minimum Equipment List, it's not uncommon for an additional system malfunction to negate a series of deferrals creating a real head ache in terms of things that now require repair before the next go decision. If this happens at an offline station, such as Lima, you find yourself at the mercy of contract maintenance and not your own company crew.

No doubt this event is an exceptional example but one I can see happening. How the company handles accommodating the passengers is up for debate. Taking an aircraft into the air that isn't airworthy is not!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Todd. Appreciate your experienced insight. I've had no trouble flying AA here in the West.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote