THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    * UPDATE * Hoffman Arms Founder - Harry Snyder's Personal Square Bridge Magnum Mauser
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

* UPDATE * Hoffman Arms Founder - Harry Snyder's Personal Square Bridge Magnum Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
* UPDATE * Hoffman Arms Founder - Harry Snyder's Personal Square Bridge Magnum Mauser in 300 H&H caliber.

Hello All,

As always your comments are welcome.

About a year-and-a-half ago in 2017, I purchased a Magnum Mauser stock here on AR. It came off a custom Magnum Mauser, that was purchased solely for its action with the intent that the action only was to be used to build a Custom Big Game Rifle. It was a very interesting stock with several German Mauser features; pop-up cheek-piece, trap grip-cap, Greener safety, buffalo horn tip, Silver's recoil pad, inlet for double-set triggers, and all the hardware was tastefully engraved. I thought that someday I might build my own Custom rifle and use this stock.

Forward to June 2019, this year. The seller of the stock contacted me, telling that his plans have changed, and that he was not going to use the action for a Custom build after-all. Since I had purchased the stock from him, he asked if I was interested in purchasing the action and barrel as well, so that they might be rejoined to the original stock. He described the barrel and action in detail; octagon-to-round barrel, matted integral quarter raised rib w/ full rib to ramp front sight, Oberndorf Square Bridge Magnum Mauser action, custom semi-spoon bolt handle, double-set triggers, claw scope mount bases, fully engraved with "Harry Snyder" inlaid in Gold on the floor-plate. His asking price was reasonable, so it now resides here in Wisconsin. Here are the details and a few pictures of the rifle back in its original configuration.

Specs:

* Oberndorf Magnum Mauser Square Bridge Solid Wall Action
* 300 H&H caliber
* Bolt handle is round bottom oval, checkered semi-spoon - Belgium Proofs (Liege proofhouse)
* Hinged floor-plate w/ inside trigger-guard release
* 26-3/4" octagon-to-round Barrel
* 9 lb 4 oz
* 14-5/8" LOP
* Claw Scope Bases (no rings)
* 1/4 raised rib (no rear site provision)
* Full low rib to ramp front site
* Double-Set Triggers
* Pop-up Cheek Piece
* Left barrel flat - "POLDI-ANTICORRO" (high-grade rust resistant barrel steel by the Poldi steelworks in Kladno, Bohemia) - "BEMESU" (Bernard Merkel trademark)
* Left barrel flat - "7 x 64" (orig. caliber) - "GERMANY" (export mark) - "script Z" (pound sterling mark for barrel maker Louis Kelber) - "K" (barrelmaker Kletts ? re-chambering)
* Left top angle flat - ".30 H" ("Holland's Super 30, early name for 300 H&H) (chamber cast verified 300 H&H) - "BBUNDEE" (jacketed bullets) - Belgium Proofs (Liege proofhouse)
* Left side action forward ring - Belgium Proofs (Liege proofhouse)
* Raised 1/4 rib has a large "2" engraved just forward of the receiver

With the rifle back together, I set about researching it. Much of the information about the rifle's building and proofing came from the experts on the German Gun Collectors Association Forum. Things like: the rifle was originally built by Merkel in 7x64 caliber, and later re-bored and rifled by Mahillion in 30 Magnum caliber. It was likely Mahillion that did the engraving and added Harry Snyder's name to the floor-plate as a Special Custom Build for him.

With Harry Snyder's name inlaid in Gold, I bought a copy of his book, "Snyder's Book of Big Game Hunting". I bought one that was an autographed copy. In the book, Harry tells of coaxing Frank Hoffman out of the Military to start Hoffman Arms Co. He also mentions several of his personal rifles, one of which was a Belgian Mahillion in 300 Magnum. Only after reading the book, did I note the unique features of his signature. Its a perfect match to the Gold Inlay on the floor-plate. Through continued searching, I found a second example of Harry Snyder's distinctive signature.

What came as a surprise to me, is that in over 50 years of collecting, I've never owned a rifle in 300 H&H caliber. Through the years, I've accumulated over 350 sets of dies, but didn't have a set in 300 H&H and had to buy a set on Ebay. With dies in hand, I couldn't resist shooting the rifle even though it has no rear sight or scope. I took it to the rifle range, and I aimed with the front sight in the groove of the front claw mount base as shown in the diagram. Surprising, I achieved "hunting accuracy" with this crude method of aiming. I'm now trying to find a bolt-peep site because I've concluded that this is what the rifle must have had at one time, because there is no rear sight on the barrel, and a pop-up cheek-piece is designed to switch between iron sights, and scope. I also plan on having a set of claw-rings made to restore the rifle back to original configuration. see update of Nov 06

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's pretty cool - thanks for sharing it.

Posts: 223 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman bolt peep, currently mounted to a 1903 Springfield cocking piece.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Interesting rifle with a cool provenance!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.

Posts: 249 | Location: Montana | Registered: 17 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Very interesting, good thing the previous owner changed his mind and offered the rest to you so the rifle could remain intact.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Rebored to .300 H&H from 7x64?

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did Harry Snyder hunt with Elmer Keith at one stage ????

Thought I'd read this in "Hell I was there !".

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twobobbwana:
Did Harry Snyder hunt with Elmer Keith at one stage ????

Thought I'd read this in "Hell I was there !".

Yes.

Thro' many warlike ages,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be great to have the original scope and mount back with "the old girl" just so that she was complete again ??

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

Thanks for the reply.

quote:
Originally posted by twobobbwana:
Wouldn't it be great to have the original scope and mount back with "the old girl" just so that she was complete again ??

Hello twobobbwana,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that's the plan. I've been diligently searching to try to find pictures of Harry Snyder's personal guns in order to determine what this rifle had for scope and mounts.

In the book, there is a picture of Harry holding a rifle that looks like it could be this one. (pop-up chee-piece, claw bases, etc) Unfortunately the picture quality is poor so I can't tell for sure. And like this one, there is no scope attached.

I'm having a custom set of claw-rings made which should be completed in 2 - 3 months. I'll give a shooting update then.

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Fascinating. If you had a museum, I would darn sure visit.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LongDistanceOperator:
Fascinating. If you had a museum, I would darn sure visit.

Hello LongDistaneOperator
Thanks for the reply.

As an update, The custom claw rings being built should be arriving any day now. They are nearly complete. I'm hoping they will arrive just in time for this years Fall deer hunt week of Nov. 23rd. I'll post pictures and targets soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the drop at the heel and toe reflective of the custom stock making philosophy of that time period or made to Harry Snyder's dimensions?

Either way it is very well done.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim@IMReps:
Is the drop at the heel and toe reflective of the custom stock making philosophy of that time period or made to Harry Snyder's dimensions?

Hello Jim@IMReps
Thanks for the reply.

I really don't know. The Pop-Up cheek piece is adjustable so you can change the rise from 1/2" to almost 3".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curious...was there an underlying reason to have custom rings made?

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About all I will say is his signature is pretty cool.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
buckstix sure has some interesting rifles in his collection and very diverse. Extremely diverse. He has Winslows and one of them in 378 Wby. A Winslow in 378 Wby is about as opposite to the rifle in this thread as you can get Smiler

For younger blokes not familial with Winslow rifles, they were like an extreme version of Weatherby Mark V Crown Custom rifles.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Curious...was there an underlying reason to have custom rings made?

Hello Duane Wiebe,
Thanks for the reply.

When I obtained the rifle, it had claw bases but no rings, so I'm having a set of rings made to fit the existing bases.

quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
About all I will say is his signature is pretty cool.

Hello AnotherAZWriter,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, and very distinctive.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
buckstix sure has some interesting rifles in his collection and very diverse. Extremely diverse. He has Winslows and one of them in 378 Wby. A Winslow in 378 Wby is about as opposite to the rifle in this thread as you can get Smiler

For younger blokes not familial with Winslow rifles, they were like an extreme version of Weatherby Mark V Crown Custom rifles.

Hello Mike McGuire,
Thanks for the reply.

I always bought rifles that I really liked, and I especially like the "strange" ones. Here's the story about my Winslow 378.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...221075612#7221075612

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:

quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:

Hello Mike McGuire,
Thanks for the reply.

I always bought rifles that I really liked, and I especially like the "strange" ones. Here's the story about my Winslow 378.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...221075612#7221075612

Had forgotten I had posted on that thread. Those Herb Klein Mark Vs take some beating Smiler, right up there with 378 Winslow.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post

Thro' many warlike ages,

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello ismith,
Thanks for the reply.

From Snyder's book - yes, that could be my rifle.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
As an update, The custom claw rings being built should be arriving any day now. They are nearly complete. I'm hoping they will arrive just in time for this years Fall deer hunt week of Nov. 23rd. I'll post pictures and targets soon.

Well the rings arrived just in time for Deer Hunting. Highest Compliments to Aaron Little for a wonderful Custom Build. All I did was send him the bases - he did the rest. A perfect fit and only 3 clicks required to set the elevation on the scope. The scope is a 1-4x20 Nikon African w/ German reticle that I bought from 7x57 here on the forum last Fall. All-in-all the rings and scope are a perfect match to bring this rifle back to original configuration.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by husky:
Rebored to .300 H&H from 7x64?

I believe he did. One of the stories Keith used to illustrate his claim that smaller calibers were ineffective on big game was Harry Snyder making multiple lung shots on a sheep with a 7x64. I wonder if that 7x64 wasn't this same rifle before it was rebored?

Kelly

Posts: 4 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 January 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kellywk: ... One of the stories Keith used to illustrate his claim that smaller calibers were ineffective on big game was Harry Snyder making multiple lung shots on a sheep with a 7x64. I wonder if that 7x64 wasn't this same rifle before it was rebored?

Hello Kellywk,
Thanks for the reply.

No, I don't think so. In Harry's book he mentions that he owned two (2) 7x64 rifles and also a 300 Magnum by Mahillion. (see pic)

I believe this is the Mahillion rifle. Perhaps he changed his mind on caliber before it was delivered (based on the poor performance of the 7x64) and had it re-bore it to 300 H&H.