THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - An interesting 458 Win Mag
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - An interesting 458 Win Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - An interesting 458 Win Mag

I brought this over from the Big Bore forum in case you missed it.

Hello All,

This came about a couple days ago when a friend called to tell me about a Custom 458 Win Mag with a short barrel. It was sale at a local Gun Shop. He knew I collected 458s and thought I might be interested. As you might expect, you don't find many 458 rifles for sale here in Wisconsin.

The rifle's barrel was marked "Made in Belgium" & "Chrome Vanadium Barrel" & "cal 458" and had typical Liege Proofs marks. It was built on a vintage FN Commercial barrelled action with all the numbers matching; Receiver, Bolt, Barrel, and Bottom metal; they all matched. It had nearly 98% of its original bright blue finish. It has a very fine Sako Trigger w/ side safety, a nicely checkered Laminated stock with 3 reinforcing cross-bolts, a "White-Line" Mershon Co. recoil pad, a checkered Grip Cap, and an Ebony Forend Tip. The Barrel was cut-down to 19-7/8" from some unknown longer length and nicely crowned. The overall length of of the rifle was just under 40 inches. It has Sights consisting of a Long-Slide Lyman No. 48 Peep Sight at the rear, and a Gold Bead Ramped Sight at the front. There is a filler block in the mid-barrel island where a rear sight could go. It weighs a "somewhat light" 8 pounds 2 ounces, with a 13-1/2" LOP. It holds 3 down, and 1 up. In addition, the Reciever, Trigger Guard, and Floor Plate are tastefully "Floral Engraved". All this, for the "walk-out-door" price of only $650. So, as you might expect, it followed me home.

So here's a question for the Forum members. Any idea who built this rifle? The rear sight filler block has the initials "R.C.P." and ".458". I'm assuming that R.C.P. is this rifle's builder because the man who commissioned this rifle to be custom made (now deceased) doesn't have those initials. I also found "R C Pace" (?) penciled in the barrel channel.

Anyone know of a gunsmith with the initials; "R.C.P." or "R.C. Pace" ? ..... Please Help.

As always, your comments are most welcome.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RealCoolPiece

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
You made a good buy on that when you consider the action and engraving but (no offense) dang that thing is fugly!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I would assume it was put together by some local gunsmith sometime in the late 60's or 70's. I'm sure you're old enough to remember when the laminated Remington model 600 style stocks were all the rage.

Lots of local gunsmiths who's names are largely lost to history churned out stuff like this.

If nothing else it would be a great guides or general utility gun for somebody who lived around big bears.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello Dutch44,

Hello bwanamrm,

Hello Cougarz,

Thanks for the reply.

I think I solved the mystery of how this rifle came to be. Someone, (likely with the initials R.C.P.) "assembled" this rifle in the late 1960's to early 1970's through components from Herters in Waseca, Minn., or, they special ordered the rifle direct from Herters with its current configuration. A 1966 Herters catalog shows all the components, and information contained in the catalog indicates that they offer services to build complete rifles.

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember their catalogs were better than a comic book.. Everything was "world famous" from curing the common cold to wasp waist bullets.

I hear they did have some superb wood at one time.

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still have some wasp waist bullets left.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...I was too young to actually buy anything......???

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
I remember their catalogs were better than a comic book.. Everything was "world famous" from curing the common cold to wasp waist bullets.

Try saying "wasp waist" ... fast ... 3 times. rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some 1938 154 gr Turk 8mm bullets that look like that too. In 1950's nomenclature that was called "area ruled". An aeronautical term describing a shape that allowed lower trans-sonic drag.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still have an old Herters catalogue. Also one of his cook books. I still have an old Flaigs catalogue. Any one remember them ? Some old Fajen and Bishop catalogues. Now everyone knows I'm an old geezer for sure. Oh and how about Frank Meitemeir ? Got a few Ralph Sisk Express bullets, remember him ?

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:
I still have an old Herters catalogue. Also one of his cook books. I still have an old Flaigs catalogue. Any one remember them ? Some old Fajen and Bishop catalogues. Now everyone knows I'm an old geezer for sure. Oh and how about Frank Meitemeir ? Got a few Ralph Sisk Express bullets, remember him ?

Yeah, I have some Sisk bullets also. How about some Kenru bullet jackets?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In addition to the Sisk bullets, I also have some Crawford Hollidge (Ernest Stuhlshuter) bullets dating from the mid '60's.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
I've got some W.T.C. bullets that came with Elmer Keith's Experimental 280 OKH rifle that I acquied back in Sept. 2012. Although 7mm, these bullets measure .288 dia. The 7mm wasn't standarized to .284 dia until some years later.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...881030442#5881030442

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does look like a rifle built from a Herter's catalog. All that is except for the engraving which looks like very fine work like nothing that ever came from Herters. I would love to know who did that work.

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote