New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corbon's New Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
May be old news. The Classic Hunter from SHOT.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Interesting....
Here's a larger image:

It's got a little M70 in there and a little M98 too.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Whats going on at the bottom left of the reciever ring just under the extractor? Photo blem I hope.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Is this CorBon the ammo maker? What's the price on them?

Mac

Posts: 1726 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The original was built up by D'Arcy Echols to his and Corbon's specs. That puts it in pretty good company

Here is how D'Arcy describes it

>> Here are some of the specs on this action I have been working on for about 12 months. The owner of Cor-bon Ammunition funded the project and they will market it. It's being made by a machine shop here in the valley that makes all my other parts. The action in the pics was just sent to HP White Labs and had a pressure test done. They took it to 89,000 psi before the cartridge case went so elastic that it flowed into the ejector slot and firing pin hole, proof loads run about 70,000 psi. They had to beat the bolt open with a dead blow hammer but once open checked the headspace and it had not changed and the NO GO gage would still prevent the bolt from closing. I examined the barreled action when it returned and noticed the Douglas Barrel had swollen .002 at the chamber end as the barrel was difficult to remove. However the action did not expand by any measurable means that i can detect. The lugs did distort but only by .0017. So all this proves is with modern steel and using a proven design you can stay out of harms way. In short these are the highlights.
>>
>> The originally request was to make an action large enough for the 338 Lapua, 416 Rigby and 450 Rigby as they all derive from the same case then make an action with the rails and magazine for the 300/375 H&H cases and then a magazine for the 300 Wtby, 340 Wtby, 416 Rem and 458 Lott group. The owner decided to go with the 300/375 H&H action, rails & magazine first.
>> The steel we started with is a Chrome Moly called Flexor, but we have also made some from 4340 C/M. The ID of the action race way is .703 the bolt OD is .698 there is little side to side or up and down bolt wobble when the bolt is fully retracted.
>>
>> The bolts have been made from the same Material as well as 2 bolts made from 8620. As of yet we have not settled on the final steel for either
>> It uses a cone breech like the M-70 has a 1.062 x 16 TPI thread form that is housed inside a large ring that measures 1.400 OD and is longer than a M-70 by 1.00 here and there. This give you a bullet ramp as long as a 98 Mag Mauser and a longer thread extension. The threads or cut in with a thread mill and to date have been dead zero with the centerline of the bore. The measurable run out across the recoil lugs seats, recoil lugs, bolt face and receiver face are less than .0003 there is no need to lap anything before fitting a barrel.
>>
>> The bolt sleeve was made with a gas flange like a 98 that blocks the left rail raceway and gas vents in the front ring and on the 6 O Clock position of the bolt should divert most loose gas away from the shooter in the event of a blown primer or case. I used a similar sleeve plunger lock that Tom used on his 3UE Enfields. The trigger is all Mod-70 but made to much tighter tolerances. The firing pin is most like a Rem-700 and allows for simple removal. The safety wing operates in the typical 3 positions.
>> The bolt stop and ejector are pure 98 with the bolt stop shoulder and ejector slot angle changed to match the geometry of the bolt and receiver on this action. The bolt stop when closed bares on the receiver and not the bolt stop pivot pin and is made from 4130 and we use a 98 spring currently. The extractor is long and is tucked under the rear bridge to prevent it from ever becoming bound up or jammed in the 3.600 long ejection port.
>>
>> The magazine is made from 4130 and Rockwell's at 30 C and will not distort form bullet noses in recoil, blues great and engraves very well. The bow is profiled in 3D. Guard screws are 1/4x28. the magazines to date are limited to 4 shot non drop box for the 300/375 H&H and a 4 shot drop magazine for the Rigby's. The bolt handle is swept and allows for a very low set of scope rings. When the bolt is machined the bolt root length extends out of the bolt notch making it a 3 rd recoil lug if things are going badly. The bolt shank & knob is welded in place and can be had in swept or straight down on request. They can be made in left hand a s well
>>

>>
>> The machine finish is excellent all the parts are properly heat treated
>>

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have they established a price point yet?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Phil. That's quite interesting and I'd love to see a standard (30-06) sized action. It's especially good to see someone develop an action from scratch without overpromising in order to get pre-orders and deposits to fund the project.

I sure hope they can get pricing down to the $2500 level or lower. That may be wishful thinking on my part.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good looking action!

They decided to skip the Mauser C ring on this project....

Hopefully D'Arcy will drop in with more action specs & pictures.

Best,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Target price is $2000. I want one.

Blake

Posts: 45 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if Corbon will be selling just the action or if Corbon will start marketing rifles with this action?
Alternatively, does anyone know if D'Arcy will build rifles with this new action?
Ray

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray I would most certainly build a rifle on this action. I am not sure if CorBon will market these in regards to complete rifles. The actions will be for sale by CorBon.

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
IP

For 2k it had better be built to BR specs. Send one to Speedy and let him go over it.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boss
I will spending a week with Speedy this summer teaching a course at Trinidad. I'll drag one along and have him give it the eye ball. I'm not sure who came up with the price of $2000 as I know for a fact this action cost a good bit more than than $2000 produce. I honestly have not been told what price range CorBon plans to market these. My job was to put it together.

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DArcy_Echols_Co:
Boss
I will spending a week with Speedy this summer teaching a course at Trinidad. I'll drag one along and have him give it the eye ball. I'm not sure who came up with the price of $2000 as I know for a fact this action cost a good bit more than than $2000 produce. I honestly have not been told what price range CorBon plans to market these. My job was to put it together.

I was up there last weekend---would love to see what he thinks about it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter Pi told me $2000$2000the is the target price while I was holding this beautiful action in my hands.

Blake

Posts: 45 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great news especially since it will be produced in left hand. Will anyone be able to show more detailed pictures ? first impression how does it compare to GMA, Satterlee or Dakota

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a pity they did incorporate Double square bridges, that would have been a neat addition

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perfect. Especially if someday I can have one in 7mm MSM, 7mm-08, and 223. All lefty of course. Smiler

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine shot this at SHOT, hope it helps

http://www.youtube.com/user/70...u#p/u/23/Ri1CRxCD-uA

Posts: 4 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
What a pity they did incorporate Double square bridges, that would have been a neat addition

Agree. Seems like a nice action but to my thinking it is a mistake not to incorporate Double Square Bridges. Also, one size only - 416 Rigby? Are they planning on offering different size actions?

It would be interesting to know a bit more about the action such as ring size, weight, options, etc...

At the $2,000 plus price point, I just as soon pay a bit more for a Granite Mountain action that is cartridge/caliber specfic and incorporates Double Square Bridges.

Hopefully, we will see other variations of this action...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I noticed in the Safari Times one of the actions will be auctioned at SCI. Dakota-Corbon are listing the value at $5,000.

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjs:
quote:

Agree. Seems like a nice action but to my thinking it is a mistake not to incorporate Double Square Bridges. Also, one size only - 416 Rigby? Are they planning on offering different size actions?

It would be interesting to know a bit more about the action such as ring size, weight, options, etc...

At the $2,000 plus price point, I just as soon pay a bit more for a Granite Mountain action that is cartridge/caliber specfic and incorporates Double Square Bridges.

Hopefully, we will see other variations of this action...

I have talked to Mr Pi and he has mentioned offering square bridged models. He frequents our shop in Vegas, I'll try to get some more info. He also has flyers at the shop I will scan it and upload it here tomorrow.

Posts: 4 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cant work out why the front portion the the rear reciver is cut out, the portion in front of the where the front screw anchors the rear base to the top of the recicver

i think the action will be selling well over $2000 , if its well made, it wont come cheap, and it s an non issue

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe what your seeing if the transition area of the larger front ring diameter blending with the smaller cross section of the action behind the front ring. Square bridges would not be an issue if CorBon requested them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are some better photos.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

I actually appreciate that these are going to be offered without square bridges. There are numerous sources of square bridge actions, but until now not much in the way of round top, claw extractor CRF actions.

I will be a buyer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cost is $5000

One of Us
posted Hide Post
this is what the shooting/hunting world has been clamoring for, another $5000 bare, but complete, bolt action.

Another way for God to tell you you think you make too much money...

think of a $10,000+ 338 Lapua boltgun, if that helps.

It is a very fine looking action, just a bit pricey.

Rich

since the initial price usually bears little relationship to the actual dealer cost, six months or down the road, I wonder what the actual dealer cost will be...?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cost is $5000

Source?

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Might as well get one of the newly manufactured M98 actions from one of the German sources for this price. They have been doing it a while and know their stuff.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does a Granite Mountain action run?

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I won't name the German source, but they quoted under $6K USD delivered for a Barreled 450 Rigby 4+1.

Don't know what GMA runs, Satterlee I believe is under $4K.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got my GMA about 5 years ago for $3000 I think they are about $3250 now maybe more. You can order from them a barrel built by Kreiger with machined open sights with barrel band built in during the production process, barrel contours is Joseph Smithson specs. I think they run about $1500. They also can have Joseph Smithson install his scope bases and rings. They run a straight forward operation with three to six months completion on order which is way better than I got from Dakota. I think some of the top rifle manufacturers in Europe buy their actions and stamp their name on it no one else the wiser. I was excited about the Corbon action, I want to have a .300 H&H built but not for $5000 for the action only then add a quality gunsmith with labor and remaining parts you'll be $20k into it easy not in this economy and for a start up action Company with full respect it's just not reasonable.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
...this is what the shooting/hunting world has been clamoring for, another $5000 bare, but complete, bolt action....

...Another way for God to tell you you think you make too much money...

...It is a very fine looking action, just a bit pricey....

If god has allowed one to prosper,then $5k is not pricey for those that live a fly business class lifestyle.
but don't despair, there are lower priced serviceable actions available in the hunting world to cater for the lower income cattle class.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Source.... was straight from the horses mouth
I think if im not mistaken ,the development costs for this action was 200,000, its made out of some steel which can take pressure s up to 120,000 psi
if i hadent bought 3 satterlee actions i would get a couple of those actions, as the quality is right up there
considering you can get these actions with DSB ,and the bolt and handle are integral, $5000 is a pretty fair price
Just to make the bolt and handle integeral is a feat in it self....just ask Satterlee if he will ever make an action with an integeral bolt /handle after making 3 for me.....he said he would never do it it again, costs more then the the rest of the action to do this

RICH...dealer price is #4000

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trax,
I guess I am cattle class and I think you are an ASS.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Trax,
I guess I am cattle class and I think you are an ASS.

Butch you hit that nail on the head! If Trax cannot buy it at Wally World then it is unadulterated sofa SNOBBERY!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the SHOT shoe Peter Pi told me his target price was $2000. He is the boss and may very well have changed his mind. It is a beautiful hunk of metal.

Blake

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:

If god has allowed one to prosper,then $5k is not pricey for those that live a fly business class lifestyle.
but don't despair, there are lower priced serviceable actions available in the hunting world to cater for the lower income cattle class.

Wrong on so many levels......what an amazingly stupid statement!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The campfire is burning. I can sit with the snobs or the cattle. At this point the cattle are more interesting. I shall converse with them.

Posts: 173 | Location: Texas | Registered: 01 February 2003Reply With Quote