New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optical sights for a Les Baer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to buy an optical sight for my LB 1911. Any suggestions? Is there any quality optical sight with an integral mount or do you have to buy them separately?

Need recommendations; out of my league here.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, no responses. AZ you don;t specify what kind of optical sight you want. I assume red dot, and as you know the original red dots were the tube type and the newer ones are the reflex type. The original ones were of course quite heavy and not suited to be mounted on the slide, so they used mounts secured to the frame. The lighter reflex sights can be mounted on the slide but require a custom cutout on the slide. You could contact Les Baer and ask them what they recommend. Be aware, as I posted before, that there is a strong possibility of dirt and debris contacting the front of the reflex sight from the ejection port. Additionally I believe that the reflex sight can be mounted so it is co-witnessed with the iron sights, but this may entail higher irons, especially if you want to mount a suppressor. I hope this is not redundant information
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might be a solution for Burris Fast Fire II or III believe offers a base which fits on the rear dovetail of the slide. The Burris is quite small and have seen them on 1911's. Just a suggestion.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AZ, I see you're not getting much info so I'll offer the following. I am a bullseye shooter and the vast majority of us use red dot sights. Most use Ultra Dot tube sights mounted directly on the slide. They are tough and easy to adjust. The Ultra Dot on my main 45 has probably seen in excess of 50,000 rounds with no problem. I use the Clark base in order to mount the Ultra Dot. It is a nice looking base and doesn't cost much
Phil

Posts: 352 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. The problem I am having is that my LB has a dovetail slot for adjustable sights, and apparently it is a weird size for mounting plates. Anyone know of a mount that will work? Phil, does that Clark mount work?

Thanks.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Clark mount requires drilling and tapping holes in the top of the slide.
Phil

Posts: 352 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you just want to try optical sights without permanent changes to your gun you can get grip panels that have an integral scope mount.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote