THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    First range trip with the SPR22 30-06
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First range trip with the SPR22 30-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ordered the scope mount from Pymarid Air Rifles and slapped on a Burris 3x9 as it was the only scope on hand without rings.

Rounded up a box of once fired Federals, some 180 grain Nosler Partitions, and some H4350.

Started with 51 grains to sight in the scope and groups were about 3 inches apart at 25 yards. Before I started moved the jack screw a couple of clicks to adjust the right barrel closer as I heard a couple of horrow stories of the right barrel being wayyyyyyyy off to start. Wished I hadnt of done that because I am convinced the rifle would of been almost dead on if I didnt move it.

Worked up to 54 grains and at 50 yards three separate 2 shot groups were 1 inch, thats right, 1 inch but they were crossing. Both barrels shot to the same point as far as elevation. And my shooting technique was not the greatest as the forearm was being rested on the rest as I supported the rear of the rifle. The god awful long trigger pull didnt help matters either and I bet once the triggers are worked on this rifle will be a tack driver.

Next trip out I will play with the regulation a little bit more so the barrels do not cross and move the target back to 100 yards and see what happens.

For a $700 double rifle this thing rocks! No signs of excessive pressure but sure do wish the 06 was rimmed as it would make pulling the empty cases out easier. Outside of the long long trigger pulls my only complaint is the fact the safety automatically goes on when you open the action. After regulation is complete the iron sights will get fixed and it will be scopeless. Recoil was mild. Might play with 220 grain slugs in the future just to see what happens.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6636 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad your havin' fun with your rifle!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
good on ya .. the air rifle scope works great, yeah?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38567 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was perfect. Except the bastards at Pymarid Air charged me $19 + change to ship it to me in Alaska via UPS.
When I asked them to ship it to me via USPS they told me they could not because they could not gurantee the mount would arrive. When asked if they heard of insurance they just stuttered and stammered but wouldnt budge off the shipping charge so it was take it or leave it. So I bent over and took it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6636 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
Can you say, "We don't drive to the Post Office when UPS comes to us."?

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

"Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can - if necessary - look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell!" US Cavalry Manual 1923

Posts: 93 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Brown:
Can you say, "We don't drive to the Post Office when UPS comes to us."?

Tom

No, I would say I'll ship it the way you want because we want your business and customer satisfaction is our goal.
But unfortunately that seems to be a thing of the past anymore.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
So??? When do "we" get to give it a work out? Big Grin

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, as soon as I get it dialed in for 100Smiler

Went back to Birchwood today for a little fun. Top target speaks for itself. On the bottom target the load was increased by 1 grain and not much change. It was pretty windy out and the triggers still prevent a even release but I would speculate that the groups could be cut in half if the triggers were worked on. No misfires, no difficulties extracting the cases.
One thing for sure though is the rifle is sensitive. Last trip out I was firing the left barrel first ( I am left handed) and this trip out I decided to shoot it correctly and fired the right barrel first which then caused me to play with the jack screw a little. Still, rifle is a piece of cake to regulate or I just stumbled upon the perfect load for this thing.
A nice gentleman was sitting down the range from me watching and then he came over to talk. He told me he recently bought a Blaser Luxus double from Cabelas in (I believe) 500/416 and wanted to know how this rifle shot. I showed him the targets and then he watched me shoot the final group. His final comments were he wanted to know where he could buy one as it was more accurate than his Blaser. Cetaintly this rifle is not even in the same league as other doubles but still, the accuracy is there. I have never scoped my Chapuis so can not give a direct comparison but I suspect this rifle is more accurate. Still need to load up some more and take it back to 100 yards and see what happens.
I am resting the forearm on the rest and supporting the stock free hand so this is not even bench rest shooting. The black bullseye is 4 inches across.
PS: The Noslers are "seconds".
http://i26.photobucket.com/alb...48/snowwolfe/top.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/alb...snowwolfe/bottom.jpg

One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
VERY nice! I haven't been able to get out with my scoped 30/06 yet but I sure would be happy to get groups like those.

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

"Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can - if necessary - look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell!" US Cavalry Manual 1923

Posts: 93 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi serge
Did you have any problems with extraction witt your 30/06 double rifle.