THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Jack Lott's .500 NE Watson Bros.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jack Lott's .500 NE Watson Bros.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gents:
Here is a new purchase I made a week ago--Jack Lott's .500 NE Watson Bros. double rifle. Now, I have a favor to ask of you: Can you help me locate any old articles of Lott that mention the .500 Watson and/or have a photo of Jack and the rifle?
Cheers, and thanks for looking.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Cal, congrats!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle Cal! I can't wait to shoot it!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
Sights are 100-200-400 yards
Non ejector
24-inch barrels
Excellent bores
File cut quarter rib
Side clips
Tight on the face
Non automatic safety (I will change this to auto)
Silver's pad (hard as a rock!)
100% engraving
Weight is about 11 3/4 pounds (my scale may be off a bit).
Enjoy,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,
Congrats on the purchase, very nice indeed!

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
Cal,
very nice indeed!

Nick

I concur tu2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice to look at but it is like garbage to me.Cal you are kinda like a garbage collector.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Nice to look at but it is like garbage to me.Cal you are kinda like a garbage collector.

There you go again. Shocking. thumbdown

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you have any progeny that lives? if not please do humanity a favor and cut your nuts off, we have enough assholes already.

Cal: Beautiful find sir and a very interesting letter. I particularly liked the last sentence at the bottom.... Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool rifle!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell of a good looking rifle for sure.

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,
Nice grab. I may have some old articles by and about Jack Lott. I'll check and PM you if I find something useful.
Regards,
Hollis

Posts: 138 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 13 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice addition to your collection. I know where Pondoro's Wilkes live today. That is a neat one too! Bet the .500 is a ton of fun.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Shootaway

You really take the cake with your comments.

You wouldn't recognise a good gun if you saw one.

And FYI, I have an identical Watson Bros 500 Nitro gun to Cals.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome rifle, Cal!

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Shootaway, what is the problem you seem to have with everyone! Son there is something seriously wrong in your skull. IMO, people like you shouldn't be allowed to be within 100 yards of a firearm, much less be in the company of a hunting party, carrying a rifle.

Even the most ignorant person where firearms are concerned can easily see the excellence displayed in that Watson double rifle, not to mention the provenance supplied by being owned by a very well known figure in the firearms field.

Son you need some help! cuckoo

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:

Larry:
You and I should start a club for like-minded folks. You can be president of the folks that can't hunt and I the folks with shitty rifles. Seriously, I can't figure this guy out but I do hope to meet you someday. You seem like a fine gent. Your .500 brass will be well used here!
Cal

Mac, Hollis, and everyone: Thanks!

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal!.

Please send your garbage across the pond..i`LL pay the shipping ofcouse...Smiler

Oh well Shitaway is shitaway.. Smiler

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Cal, what a great old rifle. Beautiful in every respect, possessing detail not typically seen in current offerings.

One question for you however. Why would you convert the non-automatic safety to automatic. This seems counter to the intent of a dangerous game rifle?

I know you already know this but shootaway isn't worthy of a seconds' thought. Both he and Trax are simple wastes of bandwidth and quite honestly, even though this site is known for a lack of moderation and censorship, I don't know why either of their presences is tolerated at this point.

Again, it's a beautiful rifle! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

What a farggin' moron. Why would you ever say something like that? What could you possibly gain by it?

Mr. Pappas has never been anything but a gentleman on this forum. You have no class whatsoever.

Many people here have tried to be kind to you, most I imagine feel sorry for you, and are trying to help you in your complete lack of people skills and just plain old general idiocy.

George- You have absolutely NO redeeming qualities, you are a pitiful excuse for a human, and no kind of a man.

While I am pro-life, if abortions could be retroactive I would sign your Mother up RIGHT NOW! Turd!

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
That rifle is wonderful, a keeper for sure.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Cal, what a great old rifle. Beautiful in every respect, possessing detail not typically seen in current offerings.

One question for you however. Why would you convert the non-automatic safety to automatic. This seems counter to the intent of a dangerous game rifle?

Todd:
Good day and a simple answer. Every one of my doubles (excepting, of course, exposed hammer Jones under lever rifles) have had an auto safety. It is now habit that when shouldering the rifle I slide the safe to off. Since it is the only thing I've ever done, when a non auto safety is in my hands, I forget to put the safety on as it is not a learned reflex. It's just the way I learned 20+ years ago.
Cheers, mate.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal:

Another question. Why do you think they have a 400 yard rear sight? Seems odd for a 500 NE.

Love the rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great find on a gorgeous double. Congrats.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Hi Cal,
Great piece. I as well am a fan of auto safeties. I was raised using SxS shotguns for dove and quail out in the Arizona deserts. Most or all of them were auto. My reasons are the same as Cal's. I slide the safety off as I raise the rifle.

And George,

I, went out of my way on several threads to defend you, I even "went to the wall" with a couple members here. At this time I must agree with the majority.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3388 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

Todd:
Good day and a simple answer. Every one of my doubles (excepting, of course, exposed hammer Jones under lever rifles) have had an auto safety. It is now habit that when shouldering the rifle I slide the safe to off. Since it is the only thing I've ever done, when a non auto safety is in my hands, I forget to put the safety on as it is not a learned reflex. It's just the way I learned 20+ years ago.
Cheers, mate.
Cal

Todd this is one place where Cal and I disagree, but I can see why he does want to change it to match all his other double rifles. for the reason he states. His muscle memory is conditioned to a auto safety.

I on the other hand have doubles fitted both ways, and seem to make the mistake on the auto safety, forgetting it on a fast reload and trying to fire shot three with the safety ON!

Most double rifles that are chambered for dangerous game cartridges, are fitted with manual safeties unless requested by the buyer!

................................................................ old

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle Cal! The best DR DG cal ever....500NE!!!

Congrats!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a nice double this is Cal.....lovey engraving too...congrats.. Smiler

Shootaway....you should be denied acces to a computer, I sincerely hope Saeed bans you soon...he is far to kind..

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pondoro:
What a nice double this is Cal.....lovey engraving too...congrats.. Smiler

Shootaway....you should be denied acces to a computer, I sincerely hope Saeed bans you soon...he is far to kind..

I have never been a fan of banning folks, but I think in this case I must agree, George adds ZERO and causes nothing but angst. I now feel duped for defending him.

If he added content and occasionally acted up I could understand. But to act with a complete lack of respect for two Gent's I personally know and would vouch for? He is just trouble.

Regards,

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3388 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Carl ,congratulations this isn only a beautifull rifle ,this is PIECE OF HISTORY .Pondoro lead the way in African hunting ,and JACK LOTT was one of the greatest experts on DGR THAT EVER LIVED and a true adventurer ,lived a great life than many dreams but never did .
Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Banned?????? Maybe I should leave.I have no friends here because everyone here is a loser and I dont like losers.You people make me not want to go hunting.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Cal:

Another question. Why do you think they have a 400 yard rear sight? Seems odd for a 500 NE.

Love the rifle.

Larry all that is needed is to fire one shot from both barrels from a solid rest at a target a measured 400 yds, then 400 mtrs to see if one or both barrels will stay on a 1 foot diameter target. Many of the old double rifles had to o double duty, and some had one or both barrels targeted at very long range!

It has often been printed in gun magazines that the multiple flip-ups on double rifles are simply gilding the lily, and are simply for decoration. Over the years I have found this to not be the case.

This fallacy is simply because of the mistaken idea that all double rifles are regulated to cross at the distance on the standing rear sight, and that has been proven to not be the case either. I agree that it is rare on a 500NE double but it is not beyond it's capability if the shooter knows his rifle well and can judge range.

If the rifle was mine I would set up a 4X8 sheet of plywood, with the aiming point being a line right down the middle of the board and hold on the top of the plywood at 400 yds, and standing rear sight (100 yd) fore one shot from each barrel, then flip up the next 200 yd sight and hold the same place fire one shot form each barrel, then the 400 yd sight holt the same place again and fire one shot from each barrel. This will establish the drop for each sight at 400 yds. And will also tell you if the 400 yd sight is a working sight. I'll bet the 400 yd sight will hit very close to the top of that target, with the 200 yd sight hitting lower, and the 100 hitting way low.

Now, place w 4 foot square target at 400 yds and fire two well rested shots at it with the 400 yd sight up, holding on the top 1/4 of the target centered on a vertical ling trough the target center fire one shot from each barrel. and you will know exactly where to hold on a wounded buffalo that is fast leaving the country!

....................................................... BOOM........400yds faint

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Banned?????? Maybe I should leave.I have no friends here because everyone here is a loser and I dont like losers.

Don't let the door knob hit you in the ass on your way out. George, you bring all of this on yourself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Cal:

Love the rifle.

Larry all that is needed is to fire one shot from both barrels from a solid rest at a target a measured 400 yds, then 400 mtrs to see if one or both barrels will stay on a 1 foot diameter target. Many of the old double rifles had to o double duty, and some had one or both barrels targeted at very long range!

It has often been printed in gun magazines that the multiple flip-ups on double rifles are simply gilding the lily, and are simply for decoration. Over the years I have found this to not be the case.

This fallacy is simply because of the mistaken idea that all double rifles are regulated to cross at the distance on the standing rear sight, and that has been proven to not be the case either. I agree that it is rare on a 500NE double but it is not beyond it's capability if the shooter knows his rifle well and can judge range.

If the rifle was mine I would set up a 4X8 sheet of plywood, with the aiming point being a line right down the middle of the board and hold on the top of the plywood at 400 yds, and standing rear sight (100 yd) fore one shot from each barrel, then flip up the next 200 yd sight and hold the same place fire one shot form each barrel, then the 400 yd sight holt the same place again and fire one shot from each barrel. This will establish the drop for each sight at 400 yds. And will also tell you if the 400 yd sight is a working sight. I'll bet the 400 yd sight will hit very close to the top of that target, with the 200 yd sight hitting lower, and the 100 hitting way low.

Now, place w 4 foot square target at 400 yds and fire two well rested shots at it with the 400 yd sight up, holding on the top 1/4 of the target centered on a vertical ling trough the target center fire one shot from each barrel. and you will know exactly where to hold on a wounded buffalo that is fast leaving the country!

....................................................... BOOM........400yds faint

Mac:

I love my 500 NE. I can't imagine me shooting it at 400 yards though.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Hey Cal, awesome score!! tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love my 500 NE. I can't imagine me shooting it at 400 yards though.

I also doubt I would shoot at an unwounded animal at over two hundred yds with a big bore double either, but I simply like to know what my rifle will do over the sights fitted on it!

I had an Army & Navy 450/400NE 3" double that I could hit a 300 yd one foot dia gong with every shot off a good rest. I killed a very nice 8 point Mule deer a a little over 180 yds with one shot from the right barrel using the 150yd flip up. So I guess it pays to know if the sights work or not.

......................I don't have a 500NE today, but that is my favorite big bore double, and Like Todd I finds after you pass the 500NE 3" the gain in effectiveness is less than the gain of the 500NE over the smaller chamberings!

..................................................................good hunting! tu2

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, I'm jealous. Great looking rifle. Great provenance.

Schizoidaway, I have reserved you a suite at 5300 Arsenal in St. Louis. They're waiting for you there, son. Don't be late.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Cal,

Understood. Muscle memory is a hard thing to overcome. I just learned it a different way. But to be honest, I have a little Arietta SxS 28ga that has the auto safety and I can't remember ever attempting to fire it without first taking the safety off. In fact, it took me half a day on the sporting clays range to figure out that it HAS an auto safety.

Stick with what you already know type of thing! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't like auto safety's, I have them disconnected.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I don't like them either Nigel, but if that's what Cal is familiar with, I understand sticking to what you know. However, with it being non-auto now, he isn't likely to get into trouble with it in a gun fight because it will already be in the off position after each reload. Going the other way would be a different story, ie having it be auto but not accustomed to switching it off each time you raise the rifle.

Anyway, it's a damn fine rifle and in the absolute best chambering! 500NE ... the best of all worlds in a heavy double gun.