THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    What 22LR should I buy or build?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What 22LR should I buy or build?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I had built a 10/22 for my son. I ended up keeping it with plans for giving it to a grandson (he is now 5) Anyway his 11 yr old sister wants to shoot. The rifle has thumbhole stock, trigger work, carbon fiber barrel, etc. Nice 1/2" 50yd rifle. So she will be getting it as part of her Christmas.

That leave me without an accurate hunting 22LR. So should I buy off the shelf? Build another 10/22? Start with a custom action? Doesn't have to be auto but needs to put the bullet were the crosshairs are. Also it will be subject to carry so not HEAVY target rifles.

So help spend grandpa's $$$.

So

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I bought the CZ452 American because it is offered in left handed and I'm glad that I did, accurate and pretty.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Except in LH hasn't the 455 replaced the 452? My wife has a little scout. Accurate but I seem to always push the safety the wrong way.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Build a light Martini. With a 25-26" barrel tapering to ~0.55", a nice piece of English walnut from Treebone, and a trim forearm with ebony tip, looks great and is a joy to carry. Plus, you can enjoy looking at it when sitting and waiting for game. Only downside-no safety.

Alternately, a low wall Winchester.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Springfield Model 1922. Accurate and full size training rifle.

Posts: 295 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
The old Mauser 22s are sure nice rifles and seeing what Joel Dorleac did with his makes a fella weak in the knees!
The Winchester 69s are nice too. We have been shooting ours for about seventy years I would guess and it is still a go-to 22 for every kid in the family. Just aim, squeeze, done, repeat.
It is the model 69 with a springfield style bolt which is the safety and can be decocked reather than the 69A which cannot afaik.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Remember guys this is for me the 64 year old. The kids are getting my custom 10/22.

Definitely must be scoped. I can't see open sights anymore.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Build another custom 10/22.
Not as "Classy" as some of the rifles mentioned above but very useful and nothing like having a Jackrabbit or coyote on the run and "catching up to him" with a semi auto. (lead shoot adjust, repeat)

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger 77/22.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Build another custom 10/22

Along that thought. Factory action or go full custom with after market action, trigger group and barrel?

As to 77/22 I have heard good and bad as to accuracy. Any first hand experience?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the Browning T-Bolt for a light 22.

For a full game rifle sized one-you can't beat the Kimber Classic.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Todd you cleaned that rifle up very well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ and I believe mine is the 455FS....I swapped a Ruger 77/22 for mine and have never regretted it. I detest scoped rifles for the hunting conditions in my area so installed a good aperture sight, done deal.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Remington 513SA as it is like a full size rifle and shoots bug holes. Basicly a 513 target with a sporter stock. Hard to find but see them on gunbroker every now and then. 7722 Ruger and the CZ are nice. Hate the backwards safety on CZs.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have a CZ-452 Silhouette with a Weaver 2-7 Rimfire scope on it, and it's a tack-driver.

I'd be surrised if the 455 wouldn't be just as good. From what I've read, the CZ .22s seem to be extremely accurate right out of the box . . . I haven't heard of one disappointing. My shooting buddy has a 455 Varmint in .17 HMR, and it's a very pretty and capable rifle.

An Anschűtz in .22 LR is probably a step up in terms of fit and finish, but it is more expensive. (I happen to have their 1517 D HB Classic (17 HMR) and it is sweet beyond words, all the more so because I've put a Nikon Monarch 4-16x 42 scope on it. It's scary accurate, and a real pleasure to hold and look at.)

If you want bang for buck: consider a CZ.

If you're looking for your ne plus ultra of .22s: Consider an Anschűtz.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both a Ruger 77/22 and a CZ 452. Both seem equally accurate and both are well built. I too dislike the backwards safety on the CZ but it is not a major problem. Both rifles needed trigger work and not much else to shoot well. Perhaps, because I have had it longer, the Ruger just feels "better" to my hand. That being said, for the price, it is hard to beat the CZ. You will probably enjoy either (or both.) My friend just bought a Cooper which is just beautiful. It however, shoots no better than his CZ 452. I understand, the new 455 is as accurate as the 452.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I sprung for a Kimber K22 Classic several years ago

Topped it off with a VX3 and it's a keeper

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I bought the CZ452 American because it is offered in left handed and I'm glad that I did, accurate and pretty.

I have the same thing. The most accurate rifle I own.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Russell:
I love the Browning T-Bolt for a light 22.

Bought my wife a T Bolt in .22 mag and its a tack driver. Then bought a lefty version for myself only to discover it ejected the shells out of the right side of the action heading towards my eyes.
Good choice for a righty, not for a lefty.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best bolt .22 LR that Remington ever produced is the 541S it has not been produced for years . Strictly a used market find. It had light engraving on the action. The action resembled the Rem. 788 but much better refined/finished with a rosewood forend. Competetively accurate and light. $650-900.

Current production choices for bolts: Cooper,Anchutz, CZ, Savage
Lever actioned: Henry
Semi auto: Volquartson, Magnum Research.
H&K used to have a model 270 in semi auto that was accurate also a used market affair.

All of them come complete and you don't have to piece meal any work.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Kimber k22 Varmint Hunter. They are $800-1000 on the used market

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Nice looking Kimbers

I do find it surprising that as easy as it is to build a tack driving 10/22 only Snellstrom suggested building another one.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I bought 3 rifles one day because the price was right. One of them was a relatively inexpensive Marlin Glenfield model 60. It had an even more inexpensive scope on it. I offered it to a friend at a real bargain price. While he was deciding, I took it out and shot it. The thing was so accurate, I hoped he didn't buy it. He did. Another friend had a stock Ruger 10-22. We put a Bushnell (their modern day stuff is my least favorite) scope on it and it was very accurate. I see no reason to spend much on one of them with aftermarket goodies as they are plenty good off the shelf. I'd prefer that over the Marlin Glenfield. BTW one of the other 3 rifles I mentioned buying was a J.C. Higgins that had a sling that rolled up into the stock sorta like some of the cheap window shades that roll up. This was a semi auto .22 as well. It had a feeding problem--broken spring. A friend used the spring off the scissors on a Swiss Army knife to repair it and it was still going strong when I sold it.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only reason I have a 1712 is b/c I about stole it (w/EFR 6.5-20X Leup dot) at auction. Use quickly changed my perception, so that I would run out and spend full retail...like yesterday...if it suddenly disappeared from the safe.

It outshoots my 52C bull gun. How good? Well, 1/2" at 50 is very good, beyond most out of the box rimfires. But it is not equivalent to 10 in 1" at 100. And that's using CCI SV, not pricey Eley/Lapua stuff.

Then there's that 2 stage trigger......wish every rifle in my possession had that trigger. The target series Annies have even better one or two stage triggers, but will usually mean more weight.

Sam

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a 1712 is b/c

Excuse me for being green on bolt 22s That is an Anschutz? Which I ASSUME is Annies?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Excuse me for being green on bolt 22s That is an Anschutz? Which I ASSUME is Annies?

Sorry, yes to both. 1712 is the silhouette sporter, 1710 is the standard. There is also a heavy bbl (HB). I happen to think the 1712 is "the one", partly b/c of the 2 stage trigger and partly b/c bbl is a tiny bit shorter/lighter.

Sam

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
CZ 452!! We now have three in the house, all tack drivers.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention another option, one that emphasizes light weight:

http://www.newultralight.com/HTML/custom-rifles.html

IIRC, they are around 6# 3oz. Don't own one but have been considering it. If you do a search you will find mostly very positive reviews.

A Cooper would be another possibility.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Cooper, 57-M, will be the last rifle I that I could part with. It is accurate, pretty to look at, and we have history.
Amities, Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Nice looking Kimbers

I do find it surprising that as easy as it is to build a tack driving 10/22 only Snellstrom suggested building another one.

Because it's really easy to sink 1k into a 10-22 project

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well the wife and I were out running around Sat. Decided to swing into Cabalas to see what they had in the way of a NICE 22lr. 1)Sat afternoon in the fall not a good time. 2) My 10 year old grand daughter knew more than the sales rep. 3) Second sales rep answer to my question of "What do you have in the way of a quality bolt 22LR" was that would be the savage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They had maybe 10 22lr rifles. 8 were a couple style of Savage a Browning and something else.

So we simply shook our heads and walked away.

The wife asked what my issue was and I said I was trying to determine if I wanted a quality bolt or another 10/22. Have to love her since here comment was why did I need to choose? Now it falls down to what to buy and parts to use on a build. jumping

Her only mandate was that at least one of them needed to have 2 stocks. One short enough for her 5'4". Might need to think about a quick release spacer block.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you cut a stock carefully, reattach the cutoff and butt plate with threaded inserts and screws, and then sand and finish it, it will look pretty good. I see a lot of people using blocks that don't match, and I think they look pretty tacky.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Ruger MkII CrMo w/ 5.5" or 6.875" barrel topped w/a Leupold 4X EER will out-shoot most of their trigger actuators.
They prefer cheap ammo.
They drive tacks @ 50yds.
They pack easier that any rifle.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Dan I have that one covered. It is the slab side and I have a red dot normally on it.

If the dot is on it when I pull the trigger it is all over.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The fortner actioned Anschutz sporter is wonderful.

That would be my pick. If not Kimber 82, Weatherby Mark 22, Sako Quad is great, Remington 504.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would build a very accurate LIGHTWEIGHT Ruger 10/22.

I would set it up to use a suppressor.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Have you tried an aftermarket 10/22-style rifle like KIDD? http://www.coolguyguns.com/Cla...th-options_p_67.html Puts the Ruger stuff to shame. Super triggers.

Personally I'd go for a fine bolt action like the aforementioned Cooper, Anschutz 54, Kimber, etc... but the tuned up 10/22 variants can be very sweet too.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because I love blue steel and walnut, I'd look for a Winchester Model 75 sporter or try to find a pre-war German training rifle, such as the Mauser .22s or a Walther. Lots of nice ones out there, if you look around a bit.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
If I was to buy a rimfire rifle. this one would be at the top of my list. BRNO's ZKM-611 is one of the sweetest looking rimfire rifles. Too bad they're only made in 17HMR or 22Mag.

http://www.gunlistings.org/ohi..._.22_magnum_semiauto

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5103 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
BRNO's ZKM-611 is one of the sweetest looking rimfire rifles.

Have one in WMR. They are, indeed, neat and as well balanced as they look (almost game gun-like). They are not tackdrivers, though. More like walkabout rifles. Sam