The Accurate Reloading Forums
30-30 straightened?

This topic can be found at:
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6521043/m/5741055462

18 February 2021, 01:38
packrattusnongratus
30-30 straightened?
I was just thinking about the 223 expanded makes a good larger caliber Subsonic. Then I wondered about the 30-30 straightened out with minimum taper. What bullet could you stuff in it? .375? .400? Just thinking about a subsonic bigger bore with a simple resize and not having to shorten it like the Blackout. But then again, maybe a 30-30 rebored to the larger caliber then rechambered. The breach face already being that size? Maybe it is already made and I have forgotten it. TIA. Be Well, Packy.
18 February 2021, 02:13
theback40
Why not just call it, the 38-55?
I did play a little to see what it could be opened to. I think .400 was it. At first I thought maybe 41 mag bullets, but that was a little to straight.
18 February 2021, 05:34
dpcd
A 223 expanded is called the 350 Legend; a very popular deer cartridge in the midwest.
A 30-30 expanded is a 38-55; dates from 1876 (Ballard) and was originally almost a true 38 caliber; unlike the 375s as we make them now.
Or do as back 40 said and go a little bigger, but if you go with 38-55 it won't be a wildcat.
18 February 2021, 05:47
boom stick
The 350 Legend is larger than the 223 and a completely new case.
the largest you can go in a 223 is .348
I think a 10mm pistol bullet on the 30-30 is a great idea and the largest you could go.
10mm Grizzly!
For subsonic, I would shorten and go with 375


577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)
18 February 2021, 06:59
dpcd
Wow I learned something; I just measured some; 223 is .375, and the 350s are .385.
18 February 2021, 20:30
packrattusnongratus
I'm thinking a 10mm cast in a WFN style at 275 to 300 gr. Specifically for subsonic and subsonic only. Be Well, Packy.
19 February 2021, 02:49
Brian Canada
.375 Winchester?
19 February 2021, 06:19
boom stick
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
I'm thinking a 10mm cast in a WFN style at 275 to 300 gr. Specifically for subsonic and subsonic only. Be Well, Packy.


That sounds fantastic
A 10-30-30 AKA 10mm Grizzly will be awesome.
plenty of good 10mm pistol bullets to shoot too for anything in close quarters
I think of it as a scaled down 444
Could it get 300@ 1800fps for a thumper round?


577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)
19 February 2021, 21:04
richj
I trimmed some 30-30 down to 10mm length just to try in a SW610. Need to make them long or still use moon clips.

I didn't load them up. would have to inside turn the necks and they would balloon the case head anyway. The Nickel is a 10mm


19 February 2021, 22:47
richj
How about 40 S&N - Straight and Narrow
19 February 2021, 23:55
packrattusnongratus
'splain a 40 S&N? I'm not familiar with many cats these days. Be Well, Packy.
20 February 2021, 01:31
richj
I made that name up just now.


quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
'splain a 40 S&N? I'm not familiar with many cats these days. Be Well, Packy.

20 February 2021, 02:44
boom stick
a 10mm Maximum (1.6” case) is interesting


577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)
20 February 2021, 17:13
packrattusnongratus
I thought perhaps you had made it up. It's fun doing that. I don't know if this will go anywhere. Others have been here ahead of me. The 350 Legend might work quite well. Then you might be keeping a caliber alive. But I still like the idea of the 9X39mm. That may come about one day. And it will be suppressable. Be Well, Packy.
21 February 2021, 01:40
richj
I ran the 30/30 into an 8mm then into a 10mm die
Not sure of the point except for bullet selection

30/30, 40/30, 375


21 February 2021, 06:51
boom stick
Good question. I see the point is using cheap and plentiful components to create a good mid range thumper from the million 30-30s out there. Should not be bad on recoil and could be used on squirrels to bear.

quote:
Originally posted by richj:
I ran the 30/30 into an 8mm then into a 10mm die
Not sure of the point except for bullet selection

30/30, 40/30, 375




577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)
21 February 2021, 13:17
packrattusnongratus
Was thinking. If you wish, mental masturbation. Does one need a reason or to fill a niche for a cat? Maybe, in the back of my mind, and that is scary at best, it was a vanity cat. Be Well, Packy.
21 February 2021, 15:55
Randominator
The 30-30 case blown out straight is a 400 GNR. Uses 10 mm or .400" diameter bullets. In a 14" barrel Contender or Encore, will launch a 200 grain bullet at 2400 fps.




NRA Life Member
HHI Member
VHA Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"
21 February 2021, 18:06
packrattusnongratus
Now I know. I thought someone would know if I asked. Thanks and Be Well, Packy.
22 February 2021, 04:25
boom stick
Loaded to 2.55” it will pack a punch. Should be a fun lever action conversion.


577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)
22 February 2021, 19:53
Bill/Oregon
That GNR looks interesting. Wonder what it would clock with a 300-grain bullet.


There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author
22 February 2021, 21:13
packrattusnongratus
I was thinking about a carbine with subsonic uses. But a lever gun could be sweet. A 45 Colt might just be better. I just need to find an affordable Marlin 94 in the colt. OR a 41 mag to go along with my Ruger Bisley. Be Well, Packy.
23 February 2021, 22:34
Atkinson
I agree, there is little if any justification to such a cartridge, Id opt for a 41 or 44 magnum and the 45 Colt would certainly be even better..well short of fun and games that is somewhat of a justification, that most wildcatters enjoy, I was guilty of such trivia some many years ago, a costly hobby btw... tu2


Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com
27 February 2021, 01:48
TonyRumore
375 Super Mag with a 350gr Sierra. 1250fps from the 14" Dominator barrel. It could certainly be downloaded a bit for subsonic use.

Tony Rumore
Tromix


27 February 2021, 02:30
richj
mmm. I sold my 223 Dominator years ago, buddy still has a 7mm International



quote:
Originally posted by TonyRumore:
375 Super Mag with a 350gr Sierra. 1250fps from the 14" Dominator barrel. It could certainly be downloaded a bit for subsonic use.

Tony Rumore
Tromix


15 April 2021, 08:01
Duckhunter39208
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
The 350 Legend is larger than the 223 and a completely new case.
the largest you can go in a 223 is .348
I think a 10mm pistol bullet on the 30-30 is a great idea and the largest you could go.
10mm Grizzly!
For subsonic, I would shorten and go with 375
There are several of us that have made 357 AR Max (rimless 357 Maximum)from 223/5.56 brass and fired through an AR-15. These are true 357/358 bullets The 223 brass works fine and fireforming gives a grain or two more powder capacity.
06 July 2021, 00:02
Atkinson
I think I'll just stick with the 30-30!! this thread is a run a way train!! horse


Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com
11 July 2021, 09:35
Lamar
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
I still like the idea of the 9X39mm. That may come about one day. And it will be suppressable. Be Well, Packy.


they call it the 358 gremlin.
11 July 2021, 09:46
boom stick
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
I still like the idea of the 9X39mm. That may come about one day. And it will be suppressable. Be Well, Packy.


they call it the 358 gremlin.


Do you have one?
We came up with it right here. See my signature line link.


577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)
13 July 2021, 08:32
Lamar
heh no I got too many other irons in the fire.
it wouldn't take me long to have one though,, if one wandered by.
I got a box [1-K] of brand new Win X39 brass tucked in the corner so it wouldn't take too much arm twisting.

I did mess with the old 35X223 round for a while though back in about 99 or so.
I was more interested in using 250gr. bullets like I do in the Maximum revolver so it was a rough go at the time.
14 July 2021, 10:10
boom stick
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
heh no I got too many other irons in the fire.
it wouldn't take me long to have one though,, if one wandered by.
I got a box [1-K] of brand new Win X39 brass tucked in the corner so it wouldn't take too much arm twisting.

I did mess with the old 35X223 round for a while though back in about 99 or so.
I was more interested in using 250gr. bullets like I do in the Maximum revolver so it was a rough go at the time.


https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-american/

the cz 527 would be a great platform for the 358 gremlin. what a light and small package

https://www.sportsmans.com/sho...65-grendel/p/1621659

another good donor.

One I think would be great though is the Ruger Mini 14 converted to 358 Gremlin


577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)