one of us
posted
Bubye Conservancy--Zimbabwe August 21 to September 12, 2014
• Outfitter: Charlton-McCallum Safaris
• Camps: Dyer’s Camp & Ripple Creek
• PH: Butch Coaton
• Trackers: Ringi & Obeson
• Observer & PH: Terry Palmer
• Weapon: Custom Robar .375 H&H pre-64, I call Thelma, using 300 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw

Proudly, I believe I’m the senior woman here, so I have, affectionately, dubbed myself the “Old Cow” of the AR Forum! I hope to receive Saeed’s permission and the rest of your approvals.

That being said, this has been the most difficult hunt report I have ever written, not because it wasn’t a great hunt, but because, in reality and with heavy heart, this was my eleventh and last safari to Africa. I’m still somewhat depressed about the idea, but I hope to remind you youngsters (and everyone is a youngster to me) to “do it while you can”. My husband and I celebrated our 75th and 68th birthdays respectively in Bubye Conservancy during this safari. And, although being there was rather luxurious and the hunting great, travel from LA to Africa is now too grueling. Hopefully, I will feel differently in the days to come.

Before any hunting story can be written, there are always months of dreaming and planning that must occur. So for this safari it started in 2013 with confirmed dates for a 21 day lion hunt in Tanzania in 2014. A few months later my husband suffered a major stroke. Although he recovered well and was only left with minor repercussions, his doctor would not approve of our remote travel plans to Rungwa. We were determined to get to Africa anyway, for at least one more safari, so we rationalized that Zimbabwe was more accessible. The doctor believed our logic.

So with Tanzania off the table, we booked a 14 day double buffalo which was offered on this Forum for the Hammond Ranch in the Save Conservancy with Buzz Charlton and Myles McCallum. Dates were confirmed, deposits were paid, travel arrangements solidified. Then a few months before our scheduled hunt, curve ball number two, Hammond Ranch did not receive their hunting permits. However, Buzz deftly came up with a new conservancy and new PH. We were off to the Bubye Conservancy with Butch Coaton as our PH.

We invited our friend and infamous professional hunter from Botswana, Terry Palmer, to join us as an observer. Terry was my PH when I took my first buffalo in 1996 and we have hunted together several times during the past 18 years. I knew when I made stalks away from the truck, Terry would certainly be able to entertain my nearly blind husband, whom he knows well.

My 1st Buffalo 1996 with Terry Palmer

We arrived in Harare with everything except my duffle, and it finally arrived via the next flight. We over-nighted at the Amanzi Lodge in Harare before air chartering to Bubye.
Amanzi Lodge, Harare

Neither PHs, nor my husband or I had ever been to Bubye before. So we were all anxious and excited to see it. It is 850,000 acres of dense mopane and grasslands, protected by double, high, electric perimeter fence, poaching patrols and an array of maintenance workers. As we were air chartering into camp from Harare, we saw nothing but subsistence farming until we saw Bubye Conservancy in the distance. Then the vast and glorious expanse of lowveld plains with occasional large kopjes unfolded. As probably everyone here knows, Bubye had been a large cattle ranch (LEMCO) before the conservancy was formed, so it has an intricate water system and roads, laid out in large grids. It is my understanding that Bubye is divided into eight hunting concessions/camps with four Zimbabwean PH’s licensed the market hunts. Our two camps were a far cry from the tent camps & long drops we were used to. They were permanent, luxury camps behind additional security fences. Definitely reassuring the night a lion roared for an hour in front of our cabin. The food and staff were excellent. (If you have to suffer, suffer first class!)

For the first 4 days Butch and I did long stalks both morning and afternoon following up on dagga boys. There were plenty of them in Dyer’s Camp. By day 5 we had seen 35. So day 5 was the day, it was my 68th birthday, I told Butch I wanted an old broken horned, scrum capped, or white faced bull. After an hour of tracking we were within 20 yards of five old bulls feeding in dense mopane. No shot opportunity until the old white faced bull presented a quartering 40 yard shot. The bulls all ran out of sight, about 50 yards and started feeding again. We could see four of them, and my heart sank when Butch said he thought the one I had shot was among them. Then we spotted my bull laid up next to a log. As I prepared to shoot again, he got up and I unloaded my magazine into him and he was down within 20 yards. We stood silently and watched two of his buddies trying to roust him before they finally moved off. Butch suggested that I take our second buffalo then, but we agreed we still had lots of time and there was still hope that we might get my husband an opportunity.

Cape Buffalo #1 Old White Face

Butch is a great PH and I really enjoyed hunting with him. I had been somewhat nervous about bringing in another PH, if only as an observer. But Terry and Butch matched up very well and were fast friends almost immediately. Same sense of humor and it seemed like they could read each other’s minds.

I had promised friends zebra rugs, so the next few days we were in pursuit. Ironically, the zebra were wilder and more skittish than the buffalo. We all gave Butch a rough time about not being able to get me a shooting opportunity on a zebra. There was some pressure to take the zebra here at Dyer’s Camp as we were told they had been heavily culled off our next camp, Ripple Creek. But the task was completed the next day. I should also mention, we saw a heavy maned lion and some very well fed lionesses during our stay at Dyers.

We relocated via hunting truck to Ripple Creek Camp for the next seven days. Another very well appointed, permanent camp. This one situated on the shore line of the Ripple Creek Dam. Very picturesque. The first afternoon we scouted part of the concession and found little fresh sign of dagga boys. We did encounter one buffalo herd, but it did not contain any older bulls. Both areas contained plains game, including numerous trophy eland, but there were no lions to contend with at Ripple Creek. We did encounter a few sable and a pair of nyala. And, one afternoon at a water source, we had two white rhinos come in to drink.
On our second morning at Ripple Creek, as we were about to board our hunting truck, Shawn Buffee, one of the permanent PH’s in Bubye, and his hunter came for a visit. Turns out his hunter was Steve416 who was hunting non-trophy elephant. Always great to put a face with fellow AR Forum members. Actually, the next day after our lunch break, we had a radio call that Steve416 had an elephant down. We joined him and his crew while they broke the carcass down, Steve sharpening knives at a maddening rate…albeit with a big smile to match his big 500!!!! Great shooting!

AR's Steve416]

The riverine terrain around the dam offered perfect cover for dagga boys and since we had not seen any fresh sign in the mopanes, we decided to work this area. Immediately we found a group of five feeding just outside the thick reeds. They were all old, mature bulls. After my shot at 40 yards, they all ran into the deep cover. As Butch, Terry and I followed up (this was kind of funny…Butch was immediately in front of me and Terry immediately behind me, I certainly felt well protected entering the reeds, I wondered if they did this sort of thing for guys.) We hadn’t gone but a few yards and we could see the back of a bull lying down about 30 yards ahead of us. This was almost a repeat of my other bull, we changed position to get a clear shot, I unloaded my magazine, and we heard the bellow. Yippee!!!! Hugs and pictures and this old cow had taken her twelfth old bull!

Cape Buffalo #2

For the balance of our hunt, we tried to get my husband, with his failing eye sight, a shot on an eland, but their color and that of the terrain did not offer enough contrast to make a confident shot. He loved giving it a try though, and after 46 years of marriage he has learned that if I was happy, he was happy too! Love the man!

We had one minor crisis before departing camp. As some of you know, my drink of preference is champagne…I call it my beer. Buzz had arranged, upon my request, 28 bottles for the 14 days of hunting. My husband drinks champagne too now. We had two nights to go and we were out of champagne. We tried to get some brought in from Bulawayo with other supplies, but apparently there was not a bottle to be had. We did not go thirsty though.

Ripple Creek

After tearful good byes (on my part), Butch and his trackers, Ringi and Obeson, drove back to Harare. Terry, my husband, and I air chartered out of Bubye for Victoria Falls.

After one night Terry departed back to Maun. Sadly, I don’t know when we will meet Terry again.

We stayed at the Victoria Falls Safari Club and I could not offer a better review of the staff and service there. Buzz had connected me to Cheryl Hayes of Exclusive Touch Africa, who had made all our arrangements and everything was perfect. We did a tour of the Falls, lunch at the Vic Falls Hotel, booze cruise on the Zambezi; and much to my surprise, an item I had pooh poohed, but which Kathi Klimes of Wild Travels had insisted that we try, an elephant ride. We have not stopped talking about it!!! Do it, if you go. I never thought an elephant hunter would enjoy this, but it was really fun. I got the elephant’s view of things. For those that have done it, we rode Jake!!!!!

As I said in the beginning, this was a rough report to write. I’m hoping it’s all just post-safari depression, but “do it while you can”! Words from the Old Cow of AR Forum

One of Us
posted Hide Post
EXCELLENT Darin!!!
Congratulations to you and your husband!!! clap

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Darin! Sorry to see that it's your last trip there though.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12500 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Great report. Two beautiful Buffalo. Sounds like you had a lot of fun hunting with some good people. tu2

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Old Cow" my ass.

clap clap beer

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9337 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
It was with a tinge of sadness that I read your hunt report Darin. As superb as it was, I hope it was not your last and the coming years will find you and your husband back among the true wild things!

A couple of fine old dagga boys! I think rather than call you a cow which I find distasteful, I will refer to you as the "Kakuli Queen"! Well done madam.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7503 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Darin: You made me HOMESICK for the Bubye! Big Grin The pic of you and your husband at last light near Ripple Creek dam, with the kopjes in the distant background, brought back a lot of memories. I am glad that you had such a wonderful safari and got to meet Shaun and Steve416. It's true about those zebra! Very skittish! Your trophies are superb! tu2

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Darin, congratulations on another outstanding safari. It sounds like you and your husband enjoyed the experience . . . again. Well done, Ngosikadzi.

The day is coming for each of us when our safari experiences will sadly be behind us. I actually think you are to be commended for coming to an informed view that it may be time to put the safari rifle in the cabinet. To come to a decision like that after a memorable, successful and enjoyable safari would be far preferable in my mind to pushing the envelop, having a miserable experience and then having the memories of your last safari being negative ones. Perhaps in the days, weeks and months ahead you will feel differently . . . if so, great. On the other hand if the ensuing days just confirm your decision, I hope you get tremendous joy from your memories and allow some of the rest of us to share future experience vicariously with you. The one constant from the first time I met you and your husband in Makuti through reading this hunt report, every time I have seen you in Africa you have had a smile on your face. I hope the memories behind those smiles live on with you.

Mike

Posts: 21049 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
It was with a tinge of sadness that I read your hunt report Darin. As superb as it was, I hope it was not your last and the coming years will find you and your husband back among the true wild things!

A couple of fine old dagga boys! I think rather than call you a cow which I find distasteful, I will refer to you as the "Kakuli Queen"! Well done madam.

I Like how you think...Queen does sound better than Cow!!!!

Hugs, Darin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Darin: You made me HOMESICK for the Bubye! Big Grin The pic of you and your husband at last light near Ripple Creek dam, with the kopjes in the distant background, brought back a lot of memories. I am glad that you had such a wonderful safari and got to meet Shaun and Steve416. It's true about those zebra! Very skittish! Your trophies are superb! tu2

Bubye is a very unique place and I hope it will be there for a long, long time. With the encroachment all around it will be difficult if hunting slows down.

Glad you liked the dam pic...that was a magnificent view point!

Hugs, Darin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Darin, congratulations on another outstanding safari. It sounds like you and your husband enjoyed the experience . . . again. Well done, Ngosikadzi.

The day is coming for each of us when our safari experiences will sadly be behind us. I actually think you are to be commended for coming to an informed view that it may be time to put the safari rifle in the cabinet. To come to a decision like that after a memorable, successful and enjoyable safari would be far preferable in my mind to pushing the envelop, having a miserable experience and then having the memories of your last safari being negative ones. Perhaps in the days, weeks and months ahead you will feel differently . . . if so, great. On the other hand if the ensuing days just confirm your decision, I hope you get tremendous joy from your memories and allow some of the rest of us to share future experience vicariously with you. The one constant from the first time I met you and your husband in Makuti through reading this hunt report, every time I have seen you in Africa you have had a smile on your face. I hope the memories behind those smiles live on with you.

Okay Mike, now you made me cry!!!!!

I'm such an AR junkie I'll still be here!

And, my husband and I ARE all smiles every time we walk into our trophy room or speak of Africa!

Hugs, Darin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
"Old Cow" my ass.

clap clap beer
tu2+1
Brings a tear to my eyes to read the emotion in your post. Been awaiting the hunt report but have to admit I didn't expect that. Hopefully, some soul searching will help you overlook the painfully long flights and you will find yourselves back in the folds of Mother Africa.
Congratulations, well done.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roland and Frank;

Thank you for the kind words!!!!!

Hugs, Darin

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt, and never say never. Great pictures. I've seen the Ripple Creek camp, but only lunched there.

And I much prefer the title "Matriarch" for such a fine lady. You've helped inspire me to keep on hunting buffalo.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations D! Thanks for sharing

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Nice report, albeit a bit sad.

No way you're the Old Cow, however. Pics in '96 could be replaced by those from '14 and few could tell the difference. It appears your husband, like most AR men, married "above his station," so to speak.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Darin-
I loved your report, I have always enjoyed your hunts through your writing and photos.
I always like to think there is another hunt in my future. The day will come when there isn't. While I have another booked for next September, the future is uncertain. One day either age or finances will inevitably pull the plug. If you get to go again, rejoice in it. If not, rejoice in what you have done and the memories you have and share.

Old cow? Not a chance. Perhaps "Zambezi Lady?"

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:

I'd say, from what I know, the proper name would be "Bubbly Miss".

I'm calling Bullshit on the "last trip" announcement. How the heck are the four of us going to go together, if the two of you don't?

Loved the report D. Well written and from the heart.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7567 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm calling Bullshit on the "last trip" announcement. How the heck are the four of us going to go together, if the two of you don't?

Loved the report D. Well written and from the heart.

Cheers
Jim

I'm thinking "African Queen" would be a good moniker for you dear. And as Jim said since the four of us MUST hunt together we are going to have to figure out a way to get back there!
space
Love you,

Joyce

One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Absolutely fantastic. Very well done on 2 awesome buffalo. You and your husband are and or should be an inspiration to many of us.

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
African Queen. A proper Madam indeed.

I remember hunting a very elderly gentleman and we were on the tracks of a Lion. Note here that this was his fourth last safari. Just as it was getting exciting he asked me to wait for a bit so he could smoke a pipe in the shade of a tree. I realised that the Lion was not really that important to him anymore and that this old man was living and breathing Africa and this was where he wanted to be. Having finished his pipe he looked up into the branches of the tree and suggested it was a good tree for a bait and we should string one up and see what happens tomorrow.

Darin you have finally accepted that you are not a spring chicken anymore and at your age you just gotta slow down a touch. Break the journey and accept that you now potter not chase after Dagga with a big stick. If the stick gets heavy your gun bearer will lighten that load.

Going by the photographs you and your man look in excellent shape. Great report and some excellent Buffalo you have there.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9840 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for an excellent and very moving report. It has touched me deeply. Congratulations on an excellent hunt.

This thing called hunting activates some primal genes and we need our time in the bush to satisfy those genes.

My wife and hunting companion nearly lost her life last year with the Caeserean section for our twin girls. With both of us in the medical world she realised immediately although hung over from the anesthetic that something had gone horribly wrong.

The first thought she had was that it couldn't be her we were talking about being so ill.
The first words she said was 'I can't die now, I haven't finished hunting yet'.

Strange thoughts go through your mind waiting for 3 hours, hoping that they can get the bleeding controlled. In an almost detached manner I thought that should she die at least we had done all the hunting that we reasonably could have done.

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Darin short and to the point. Fine shooting also wonderful pics. You have got to come to Dallas this January.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very well done African Queen.

As others have posted, I hope you and your husband can make another successful trip across the pond soon.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this fantastic safari whit us tu2

And congratulations on some great daggaboys!

Torbjoern

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Darin short and to the point. Fine shooting also wonderful pics. You have got to come to Dallas this January.

Mike

Mike; We are booked to go to Dallas this year for the first time....might have to share some champagne with you and your wife!!! OH, and a few other AR members lurking about!

Hug, Darin

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
African Queen....Outstanding Report..Congratulations

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim & Joyce;

You know Bob and I would love to share a hunting camp with you one day! However, it may not be Africa!

Love you two! Darin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balule:
Thank you for an excellent and very moving report. It has touched me deeply. Congratulations on an excellent hunt.

This thing called hunting activates some primal genes and we need our time in the bush to satisfy those genes.

My wife and hunting companion nearly lost her life last year with the Caeserean section for our twin girls. With both of us in the medical world she realised immediately although hung over from the anesthetic that something had gone horribly wrong.

The first thought she had was that it couldn't be her we were talking about being so ill.
The first words she said was 'I can't die now, I haven't finished hunting yet'.

Strange thoughts go through your mind waiting for 3 hours, hoping that they can get the bleeding controlled. In an almost detached manner I thought that should she die at least we had done all the hunting that we reasonably could have done.

Hunting does, indeed, make one appreciate life so much more and I totally understand her thinking, "I can't die now, I haven't finished hunting yet"!

That is why it can't be put off until later! Later comes too soon!

Glad your wife survived. I'll look for a hunting report from her!

Best regards, Darin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
African Queen. A proper Madam indeed.

I remember hunting a very elderly gentleman and we were on the tracks of a Lion. Note here that this was his fourth last safari. Just as it was getting exciting he asked me to wait for a bit so he could smoke a pipe in the shade of a tree. I realised that the Lion was not really that important to him anymore and that this old man was living and breathing Africa and this was where he wanted to be. Having finished his pipe he looked up into the branches of the tree and suggested it was a good tree for a bait and we should string one up and see what happens tomorrow.

Darin you have finally accepted that you are not a spring chicken anymore and at your age you just gotta slow down a touch. Break the journey and accept that you now potter not chase after Dagga with a big stick. If the stick gets heavy your gun bearer will lighten that load.

Going by the photographs you and your man look in excellent shape. Great report and some excellent Buffalo you have there.

Andrew;
I had hoped there would be a hunt with you in my memory & photo album. That is certainly one I regret not completing!

Thanks, Darin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt u:
African Queen....Outstanding Report..Congratulations

Thanks, Matt!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
Darin-
I loved your report, I have always enjoyed your hunts through your writing and photos.
I always like to think there is another hunt in my future. The day will come when there isn't. While I have another booked for next September, the future is uncertain. One day either age or finances will inevitably pull the plug. If you get to go again, rejoice in it. If not, rejoice in what you have done and the memories you have and share.

Thanks, Marty, I appreciate that! Darin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Badger Matt:
Nice report, albeit a bit sad.

No way you're the Old Cow, however. Pics in '96 could be replaced by those from '14 and few could tell the difference. It appears your husband, like most AR men, married "above his station," so to speak.

Badger Matt, very, very kind words! Thanks, Darin

One of Us
Picture of Buffalo Tim
posted Hide Post
Tame african elephant??? not me!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buffalo Tim:
Tame african elephant??? not me!!

All the elephants they use were orphaned (so they say) and bottle fed/hand raised so very people friendly. However, Jake did try to defy his handler when we started out. He didn't want to go down the correct trail. I was somewhat concerned about a "runaway", but after that all went well. And all of the people that rode elephants at the same time (about 6 elephants) had a really great time!

Best regards, Darin

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
LEAD MATRIARCH

much better than old cow

I have watched you lead many of us out of small, little-mentis AND back to the right track in almost every thread you have contributed to

\ wise and most worthy of the lead in my observations

you set a high bar for any hunter male or female

thanks for your leadership here on the forums

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great article and an nice Story, African Queen.
:-)

Best wishes to your husband and you.

F.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Darin.

Congratulations on some awesome Buffalo bulls.

Thank you for your heartfelt and fine hunt report which was a pleasure to read just as previous one have been.

Pictures, specifically the one of your husband and yourself in the fading light is very moving.

Seems we like the same lodgings in Harare and Victoria Falls (only a few weeks apart), I am sorry we did not have the opportunity to meet you and your husband. I would have liked that.

So African Queen, lover of Champagne, on par with the finest African hunter, I do hope an opportunity brings you back to the continent again and if not, that you will enjoy and savor walking down memory lane.

Kind regards
Jytte

Posts: 215 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 13 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mej:
Dear Darin.

Congratulations on some awesome Buffalo bulls.

Thank you for your heartfelt and fine hunt report which was a pleasure to read just as previous one have been.

Pictures, specifically the one of your husband and yourself in the fading light is very moving.

Seems we like the same lodgings in Harare and Victoria Falls (only a few weeks apart), I am sorry we did not have the opportunity to meet you and your husband. I would have liked that.

So African Queen, lover of Champagne, on par with the finest African hunter, I do hope an opportunity brings you back to the continent again and if not, that you will enjoy and savor walking down memory lane.

Kind regards
Jytte

Jytte;

I'm so sorry we were so near, but didn't cross paths! We have something else in common...I'm front Danish stock!!! Maybe that is why we both love hunting so much.

Thanks for the kinds words! Hugs, Darin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stradling & Bockhunter;

You and your AR brothers are some of the finest men I know!

Thanks, Darin