ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    2x Buffalo and PG with Zambezi Hunters and Thierry Labat
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2x Buffalo and PG with Zambezi Hunters and Thierry Labat
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted
Operator: Zambezi Hunters
PH: Thierry Labat (as usual)
Save Valley Conservancy: ARDA, Hammond, Mkwasine, Nyangambe
Dates: Oct. 28 to Nov. 3, 2011 (7 days)
Logistics: Steve Turner at Travel with Guns (Delta HSV-ATL-JNB and South African JNB-HRE)
Rifles: Win. Model 70 in 375
Ammo: 300gr TSX and TB Sledgehammer Solids, factory loaded, of course

Introduction:
This hunt came about as a end of season / clean up hunt. There were a couple of buffalo that "needed" shooting as well as some plains game and a elephant bull. I made a deal to go and hunt the two buffalo and PG on a short, seven day schedule. I also had the elephant available as a target of opportunity.

The first buffalo:
On day one, we set out to explore Nyangambe to look for tracks as well as to drag the roads. The property is small by African standards (10,000-ish acres) with only one buffalo left on quota. By agreement, we are to attempt to kill a buffalo here if possible and we have set aside three or four days to get that done. Labat reports there is no permanent water on the property and that all of the seasonal water has dried up. As a result, we will not be able to be very selective on buffalo bulls, i.e. if we see a mature bull, “we pump it.”

Imagine our surprise when we bump into a buffalo bull on Nyangambe less than one hour into the hunt. He is rock solid with a tank of a body. There is no choice but to hunt this bull. We jump out and send the vehicle on. We make a stalk consisting of a short walk, a shorter run, and a final crawl into the shooting position. My soft “town boy” knees are bleeding as we get into position behind a big rock and prepare for the shot.

I can see the bull some 75 yards away. There are sticks and trees between us and him, but I am able to slip to my right – on the bleeding knees, of course – and find a lane that I can shoot through. Just then, the bull breaks into a run back toward us. He passes at 40 yards, in the relative open, and stops behind some brush for a few moments before running again. I give a couple of whistles trying to stop him, but on he runs. I am tempted to take a running shot, but I can “hear” the voice in Thierry’s head saying “Do not shoot!”

As the bull passes, we jump up and run with him. He stops, albeit briefly, and we set up the sticks only to have him bolt again. So, we run again and the bull stops again, turning to face us. When he does, at some 70 yards, the sticks go up and the lead flies.
I am shooting Thierry’s dad’s 375 with 300 grain TB solids. At the shot, the bull almost falls, but keeps his feet beneath him, turning to run just a few yards before he falls in death. I approach and place an insurance shot under his armpit, but it really is not necessary.

As we look at the bull, he is one of the finest trophies that I’ve taken. He is ancient. Smooth bosses, tattered ears, scars all over his body, and a hairless white face make this buffalo stand out from any other buffalo that I’ve had the good fortune to hunt. A proper specimen.

Buffalo Number Two:
Day three puts us back on the buffalo trail. We’ve checked some big herds and passed a 40-41 herd bull in a 200 buffalo herd. We’ve also followed a big herd in tall grass for miles and hours in 120 degree heat before losing the track in a swampy, reed-filled area.

I’m committed to not shoot “just any bull” as we still have five hunting days left. However, when we see “The Buffalo” on the morning of day three, there is no doubt that it is time to hunt my second buffalo, regardless of how much time remains.

We spot the buffalo and we are able to get a good look at him before he runs. He looks big, solid and wide to me, with a body to match his horns. As he runs, we go into hunting mode, load up, and begin following the spoor.

It takes 20 minutes or so before we catch the buffalo. Of course, he has run into the thickest stuff imaginable and he sees us and runs before we even see him and well before we can set up for a shot. So, we follow again, still in the thick bush. This stuff is so thick that I can imagine the buffalo getting perturbed and charging us. We are all on high alert. There is a danger factor.

After 20 minutes more tracking, Mudini sees the buffalo. He is standing in some thick stuff, facing left, perfectly broadside to us. We approach from downwind, and the sticks go up at no more than 35 yards. I shoot over one branch and under another and hammer the buff on the shoulder. He almost falls at the shot, but manages to wheel around and run 20 feet before he falls. We approach and place one more into the chest to be safe, but it really is not needed.

On examination, he is perfect. He is plenty wide, but also very old, heavy, solid, and smooth. My favorite buff trophy by far, but I’ll let the pictures do the talking.

Kudu:
Before this trip, I shot exactly one kudu bull. That was in RSA in 1997, quite some time ago. That kudu was really nice (57), so I was committed to not shoot another unless or until I saw something special. As luck would have it, that would happen on day two of our hunt.

We were driving along the Mkwasine River (The V&A Waterfront if you’ve been to ARDA) and spotted two bulls that came to drink. We bailed out and made a move on the kudu before setting up the sticks. The shot was long, and I just could not get comfortable with my rest, hold, stance, etc. So, instead of making a bad shot, I just held off.

To my surprise, Thierry said we could drive ahead, cross the river, drive back in the direction from which we came, and find the kudus. “Yeah, right”, I thought. Imagine my surprise when we see the kudus 30 minutes later. They run and we run after. Run, chase, run, chase until the sticks go up.

The bull is behind a tree, but his neck is exposed. I take the neck shot, missing the spine but obviously hitting the kudu. A follow up shot is not possible, and the bull disappears into the thick riverine bush. We follow and find blood, but not much. I am starting to feel disgusted with myself when the kudu barks and runs. Unfortunately, both bulls are still together, so we have to be certain to shoot the right bull if we catch the duo.

Very quickly, the kudu stop running and return to walking. They also part, and the blood spoor tells us that we are on the right bull and that we can fire as soon as we see him. With Mudini on the track, we manage to catch the bull in the open and I get a quartering away shot into him that anchors him and allows us to approach and administer the final, killing shots.

Immediately, we know that we have something special lying on the ground before us. I run my hands over his long horns and beautiful mane, and I know that this is the kudu that I waited for and hoped for since that first kudu 14 years prior. The bull is the better of the two and well worth the wait. Again, the pictures tell the story better than I can.

Duiker:
As a part of my effort to collect all of the SVC species, I wanted to shoot a duiker. When we found this guy on the way back from a failed wildebeest stalk and resulting lengthy walk, he presented a nice opportunity that we took advantage of.

Blue Wildebeest :
I once put down a wildebeest at Sango, but I never really counted that animal as a sport hunted wildebeest. So, with some wildebeest left on quota at Hammond and ARDA, we decided to try and add a blue gnu to the bag. It was not easy, and we had to work much harder for the wildebeest than I imagined. My shooting was not stellar and we had to do a long follow up before getting the bull. In the end, however, we got him and here he is.

More pictures from the bush:

Tea and coffee at the recovery . . . anything less would be uncivilized.

PH checking for ground shrinkage . . . there was none.

Trackers in the rain.

The buffalo skulls.

A trophy of sorts.

Looking for a big bull.

ZAMBEZI HUNTERS:
This is my fourth hunt in 28 months with ZH. I would not be returning so often if ZH was not an elite organization. ZH runs a highly efficient and superbly organized safari company. They are not the largest operator in Zim by far, but that lends itself to a high level of personal service and great attention to detail. In 60-ish days of hunting with ZH, I’ve not had a single concern about the logistical or operational aspects of the safari (fuel, vehicles, food, hidden costs, up-charges, surprises, changes, operational issues, theft, legalities, disputes over area, etc, etc, etc). That leaves me 100% free to concentrate on hunting and enjoying the African experience. That is how a safari should run. They have my business until further notice.

THIERRY LABAT:

I've sung Thierry's praises on more than one occasion, and that seems to be a common sentiment with anyone who's hunted with him. 100% hunter. Cool, calm, and collected. Bright future, unlimited potential. Humble. He will be one of the very top guys on the continent in short order.

POST SCRIPT:
My heart, my mind, and a considerable portion of my soul make their home in Africa. I will return every year to search for them for just as long as I can. I just hope I never find them and the search continues for the rest of my days.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will your still living the dream. Awesome year for you. Two great bulls

Posts: 29 | Location: Utah | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OMG those are both magnificent animals. i really love the first old brute... but lets me honest, the second is PERFECT ! I would have been too busy doing nilly to shootSmiler Anyway, I am soo looking forward to my trip next year

Cheers
Orvar

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Stellar is the word, no doubt. Excellent Will.

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Top-knotch report as usual, Will, and another outstanding safari. You are really selling me on Zim and Thierry.

I just can't believe you have the report on here so quickly!! You must've just gotten in the door. Go kiss your wife or something......

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 817 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Excellent WIll and incredible trophies, again! Congrats and thanks...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Very nice trophies and congrats on a great "clean-up" hunt.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome report and fantastic animals! Well done

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Maybe the quickest hunt report ever and certainly one of the best. Well done all around!

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Will,

A couple of OUTSTANDING bulls!

When I grow up, I want to hunt just like you.

Hats off to you sir.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Will. Congrats.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Nice job Will, those old buffalo are spectacular and the kudu a monster. Congrats to you and Thierry, you guys obviously make a great team.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Will:

Fantastic buffalo bulls! Congratulations.

That is just the type I hope to get next time.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff, Will.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Will, Wonderful trophies buffalo are superb and that kudu is a keeper.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful buffs Will, congratulations!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Well done Will!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Not much else to say but "YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!".

And maybe congrats.....

Nicely done, Will.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
TWO DAMN NICE BUFF!!! Well done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Will, well done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will:

How big was the kudu? He looks pretty large to me.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, with a 375? And a bolt rifle no less? I'm surprised you survived to tell about it? :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will

Congrats to you and Terry on two awesome old buff! Real beauties indeed! Cheers Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Cracking stuff and well done Zambezi hunters, again. Nice to see old mature trophy buffalo like those.

Thierry is not just a very fine hunter but also a good photographer.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9868 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Will,

Makorokoto to you and Labat, as usual. Those 2 Buffalo Bulls are a classic example of what every hunter should try and put in the skinning shed, not the youngsters!!!

Mooshe Dagga boys!!! Cheers...

Posts: 352 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Will
Two awesome buffalo! Great kudu, but you have to love the trackers rain gear. beer

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Welcome home Will.

Very nice buffalo and a dandy kudu !

Andy

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Very nice Bulls!!
Congratulations Will

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
There is an interesting aside to the first buffalo we shot.

Earlier this year, a game scout patrol was charged by a lone buffalo bull and a scout was hit and killed by the buffalo. This all happened on Nyangambe not far from where we shot the buffalo. The description of the killer buff was consistent with the buffalo we killed, obviously leading to speculation that the buffalo we shot was the perpetrator.

Of course, there is no way to verify any of that, but it makes an interesting side story.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know Will that entire area has had more than it's fair share of buff problems particularly near the sugar cane. Several people have been hammered by them.

One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had another great trip.

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will,

describe the weather in October? Was it bearable, what precautions did you take or what items made the heat bearable? I see in one photo you were still wearing a jacket? Would you do an October hunt again compared to the June/July format you have done in the past?

Bret

Posts: 29 | Location: Utah | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zwickie1:
Will,

describe the weather in October? Was it bearable, what precautions did you take or what items made the heat bearable? I see in one photo you were still wearing a jacket? Would you do an October hunt again compared to the June/July format you have done in the past?

Bret

For the first four days, it was hot and dry. The daytime highs were 110 to 120ish. Humidity was really low despite a couple of evening thunderstorms. Personally, I liked it. It was much more bearable than Alabama in July.

Five and six were cloudy and cool, with a high in the 60s. Quite a change from 110-plus and reminicient of June - July in Africa.

Seven was back to hot and dry with a high over 100 degrees.

The Oct-Nov dates were great for buff and PG and would have been good for elephant as well had we really pursued them. The animals were coming to water all during the day and you could find game or their tracks fairly easily. Of course, the visibility was also superior since the leaves were off and the grass was grazed down.

The heat, however, would be detrimental to baiting for cats due to the rapid bait rotting and drying up of any scent drags.

With cats on the menu, I still like June - July. For buff, I think the late dates are superior.

Will J. Parks, III

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great dugga boys, particularly the 2nd one.

Do the Blue wildebeest usually have that white chevron? Looks similar to the Nyasaland we get in Southern Tz.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trophies to be proud of, are they typical for the save? How do the buffalo prices compare in save versus other areas in zimbabwe? Thank you.

Also do you have contact information for zambezi Hunters ?

Posts: 27 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice trophies.
Glad you had the bead on the big bad boys.

Admire that Kudu!

Posts: 177 | Location: Eastern Slopes of the Northern Rockies | Registered: 15 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Will! tu2

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Fine hunt and report. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Posts: 21210 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on another successful safari. Those buff are fantastic!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will- You and Thierry have done it again. Congratulations on another fantastic safari. Did you not take the 416? And was Thierry's Dad's 375 scoped? You certainly did well with what you had at hand. Did you get a chance to shoot something with Thierry's Lott? So many questions----Where was Little Earnest?

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote