ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Giant Eland - Cameroon February 2014
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Giant Eland - Cameroon February 2014
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I finally decided it was time to heed my own advice and go on a Lord Derby Eland hunt before it was too late! So after a bitter cold NY winter, Douala, Cameroon was a refreshing 90+ degrees! From there I flew North to Garoua and from there 5 hours on terrible roads got me in to the hunting area.

I assure you that your bum will never be the same again after the roads in Cameroon. Anyway here is the story in photos. I was fortunate to shoot a very old, large Eland bull on day 4 of my hunt. After which I shot some other antelope and just spent my time checking out different concessions.

About 4 hours from Douala we drove towards the border with Nigeria. The beach was clean but the sand was volcanic and black.

The camp was comfortable, but not luxurious

This is what cotton in the raw looks like.

Bush camp

Nagor reed buck

We burnt a lot of high grass

Western Kob. I found them to be larger in body as well as in horns when compared to the Kob in Burkina Faso. I think the same applies to all the animals in Cameroon when compared to Burkina Faso. There is just more vegetation and food available.

Not very clear in this photo but the short wheeled base land cruiser went straight up a very steep river bank, near damn vertical!

THE PRIZE! I was lucky to shoot a very old big bodied bull. When you walk up to one of these there is no ground shrinkage and as the French say they are truly Magnifique! You really say Oh my God!

The neck was just massive

This is what an eland does with those thick neck muscles. They put the trunk between their horns and snap small trees like a twig to feed on the leaves! That tree was atleast 4-5" in diameter.

Tired but happy

I thought this was a cool photo. The number of stripes on each side never add up!

One with the boys! On these hunts you pull the trigger but they do all the work.

Yves planning the hunt. The French operator I work with, offers a 100% shot opportunity on Eland and really manages his quotas to offer his clients quality Eland. He is a little eccentric, but is very experienced and a true hunter at heart.

Praying Mantis - you start praying that it wont be a very long slog each time you start following tracks in 100 deg+ heat.

We dropped in to a National Park office, of course it was all run down and dilapidated.

Patrick and me with a Sing Sing Waterbuck. He has shot over 35 lions with clients over the years and is a very experienced hunter.

I caught a small Nile Perch which was great eating.

Celebrating back in Douala with my new found friends Eric and Sarge.

To summarize the overall experience, I can say that the Lord Derby Eland hunt is a tough hunt mainly due to the heat and the miles one has to cover. However the Operator I work with knows his three hunting areas like the back of his hand which enables him to plan the hunt to cater for hunters who may not be in top physical shape. He also uses scouts where possible to cut down the walking and miles of endless tracking. He also manages his Eland population never taking his full quota so as to offer his clients good trophies. His prices are also very competitive.

I am of the opinion that the opportunity to hunt LD Eland may decrease sharply in the years ahead. To start with Cameroon and CAR were the only two countries where one could hunt these magnificent antelope. With the closure of most of CAR that leaves only Cameroon for the foreseeable future. I am told that the annual quota is only about 50 Eland per year and with the added demand because of the problems in CAR the prices are going up!

In Cameroon there is a lot of problem with cattle herders coming in from Chad and Nigeria. Many of the hunting concessions are facing growing problems and conflict with livestock and the herders themselves, who of course poach and also disturb the game. Lions have taken a tremendous beating as they have been poisoned extensively as they have been preying on the ever increasing number of cattle coming in to the hunting zones and also in to the National Parks. The picture is not rosy! Go while you can......

Thanks for looking.

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks
New York
Tel: 845 259 3628
Email: arjun@huntersnetworks.com

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Holy Smokes! What a MONSTER!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Tres magnifique ! Congrats on a superb Eland.
Thanks for sharing.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Congrats……. outstanding bull!!! Smiler

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow, holy chit that thing is massive, good job on what sounds like a tough hunt

Posts: 1013 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Bull! I really miss northern Cameroon. One of only 2 hunts I would definately do again. Capitan is so good that I can remember it just from your photo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt, Arjun.

Congratulations !!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big congrats! Well done Arjen.

Best of Hunting,
Mark Hampton

Posts: 126 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done! Congratulations on that monster.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
great work, Arjen! that bull looks like the twin of the one that eluded me a few weeks ago. magnificent doesn't really do such an animal justice...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Super Bull! Congrats Arjun.

Thanks for posting.

Posts: 1790 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Smiler

Posts: 1089 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Magnificent trophy Arjun. Congratulations.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful animal!

Congratulations on a superb adventure!

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!! beer

Hunting a LDE is high on my bucket list.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
What a fantastic trophy and well done. Could do with a bit more detail on the LD hunt.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
what's the rifle please?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What an incredible trophy!
Well done!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job! Arjun

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Well done.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Superb trophies Arjun. I agree that opportunities to hunt LDE may be reduced or eliminated in the future. One must merely look at what has happened to the lion and elephant as of late. With the problems in CAR, Cameroon could be the last country to offer this magnificent trophy.

Sadly, we are losing more and more hunting countries and opportunities at certain species across the continent. After years of net gains, the past couple of seasons have been depressing to say the least.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Fantastic Bull!

Thanks for posting the report.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arjun,

Proper in all respects!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice hunt and an really nice eland. Waidmannsheil! Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 114 | Location: Germany | Registered: 18 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a truly magnificent animal an great pictures.

One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
Wow Congrats Arjun.
That's a great Eland.great photos to boot.

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terrific Arjun...I enjoyed your photos and report!!!
Looks like you got a great outfitter tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
Outstanding report and beautiful bull. Thanks for sharing! tu2

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of r_p_narramore
posted Hide Post
Awesome report. Congrats. tu2

Posts: 53 | Location: Eastern KY | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
OUTSTANDING!!!

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Well Done Arjun!!! That is a fantastic eland and the rest of your trophies are very nice and mature.

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Incredible trophy. Well done!

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Arjun.
Just caught up with your report.
The LDE are such a magnificent animal.
Well done.
Best
Steve

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello Arjun

Congratulation, your eland is outstanding.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations,Arjun.Well hunted and deserved. Jim Hinde

Posts: 136 | Location: Great Falls,MT | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A well earned trophy! Congrats.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Simply outstanding my friend! tu2

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Amazing eland Arjun! What's the story with that bolt rifle you're using? It looks "ok"! Wink Big Grin

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Very nice

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle looks like a Sako safari Grade......is it? And what cal? Nice Eland. Congrats.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote