Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting books written by AR members.
 Login/Join

posted
So far I've read two. One by George Roof, world renown taxidermist, the other by that Canadian gentleman Scruffy Wink and I've almost finished Bill Quimby's "Sixty Years a Hunter" All have been a great read.

Any more out there?

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7963 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bakes
Soon to be issued is Buzz Charltons ( CMS ) first literary effort "Tall Tales". I am looking forward to the copy I have ordered. Cheers

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1988 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah yeah I did see that on the Safari Press web site....I may have to wait for the price to come down however sofa Big Grin

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7963 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi, Bakes, wave

When I was in grade one my teacher wrote on my report card that I loved to tell hunting stories and my English was getting better.

About twenty years ago I wrote my first book on my hunting experiences … decided that I had not told them all so wrote a second book. By then I had continued to live and hunt so wrote a third book.

I am now on to Chapter 29 or 30 of about my 11th book. I figure that some day when I lose all of my marbles I can read one of those books and see what I used to do for fun.

I doubt if I can be called pretentious but over two thousand pages on this great love of the hunt .. Sheesh !!! Confused Smiler

Send me a PM, my friend, with a mailing address and I will send you my latest book. Lady Margaret and I are forever grateful for your help in Darwin those years ago …

Posts: 1532 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't know you wrote that many mate. I really enjoyed "Rode Hard and Put Away Wet" Sorry you didn't have a better time in Aust Wink

Say G'day to Margaret for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tsquare's "Modern Custom Guns"

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have a look for that one

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

First, thanks John for the plug on Modern Custom Guns. I have four books in circulation starting with my first one, Modern Custom Guns, followed about a year later by Modern Firearms Engraving, both published by Krause Publications. My next book was published by Safari Club International entitled Mastery of Wood & Metal, The David Miller Co. This was a very limited print run with no promotional efforts devoted to it. I received my rights to the book back from SCI and Krause did a reprint edition of the book. Finally, I did a complete update of Modern Custom Guns which Krause published as a 2nd Edition. All these books are now out-of-print but can be found on Amazon, Abe Books and other.

I also contributed substantially to a book entitled The Complete Book of Hunting which was edited by Robert Elman.I did most of the European sections of that book. It was published by a Swedish publisher and released in about ten languages I was told.I have seen versions published in The US, UK, France, and Germany. It was published in 1980 and occasionally a copy pops up on Amazon or ebay. It is a good book and copies that I've seen on ebay sold very cheaply.

I have a few copies of Mastery of Wood & Metal published by SCI, a few copies of the Krause reprint, a very few copies of the original Modern Custom Guns, and a few copies of the 2nd Edition. If interested, shoot me a PM.

TT

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Modern Custom Guns, Mastery of Wood & Metal, and the second edition of Modern Custom Guns in my library. These are books of the highest quality in both word and photography. Also written by a man with the heart for fine custom guns. If you can get a copy of any of these, do so.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Scruffy, can you provide a few titles of the books you have written please.

Posts: 318 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
My apologies ... I am on AR every day but I have not looked at this thread since last fall.

Here are the titles of a few of my books:

It Has Been Ten Years Since I Got Runned Out of Teaching. What Now?

The Last Jungle Cat

Old Dogs Old Guns Old Friends

Ramblings of a Redneck

You Stole My Thunder

Obsession

That Old Man is Going to Kill Us

You Look Like Richard Powell - No Offence

Rode Hard and Put Away Wet

(Three or four others)

I have recently finished another one that is being formatted now and will then go to the publisher. So it should be ready in month or two ...

Cheers and be safe .. Smiler

Posts: 1532 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
scruffy, Those are very interesting titles, thanks for listing them, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal Pappas has written 3 I believe on double rifles. All are excellent.

Posts: 10084 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian,

I have sent you a PM regarding my latest book. All the best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scruffy,
I am half the way through your wonderful recent book. Good stories, well written and lots of good humour. Shades of Patrick McMannis and Robert Ruark.

You have had a lot hunting adventures and thankfully you can share them with us with great flavour.

Much appreciated! Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post