New
Find
Notify
Tools

Australian trip
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Am trying to put together a "road trip" to Australia this summer, and would like to be able to meet up with folks from on here, while there. Or get a travel companion while there, if anyone retired or otherwise free to go. I am trying to decide where to fly into, as want to see the NT so have to go to Darwin, and figured I'd go there and tour up there, then fly out to somewhere else and tour the rest, as a friend who lived in Aus. said if you rent a car in NT not allowed to take it out of there.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
You do realise that Australia as a land mass is bigger than Continental US? A road trip in northern Australia is going to be a seriously tedious adventure - its a long way between interesting scenery.
Check with your rental car supplier - I am sure you can rent at point A and drop off at point B with all the major companies.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Foxhunter223
posted Hide Post
Muzza you can pick at point A and drop off at point B as long as both are in the NT. I asked my friends who own a car Rental Franchise. This is what I was told. We have rented a LOT of cars of this firm so believe it to be true.

Pete

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern NSW Australia | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tysue:
Am trying to put together a "road trip" to Australia this summer, and would like to be able to meet up with folks from on here, while there. Or get a travel companion while there, if anyone retired or otherwise free to go. I am trying to decide where to fly into, as want to see the NT so have to go to Darwin, and figured I'd go there and tour up there, then fly out to somewhere else and tour the rest, as a friend who lived in Aus. said if you rent a car in NT not allowed to take it out of there.

How much time do you have?
Best to land somewhere other than Darwin first ie. Sydney or Brisbane. Hire a car and take a look around NSW or Queensland and then fly out to Darwin where you would hire a 4WD. Driving between states here will be too time consuming for you. Darwin is remote and thousands of kilometres from any other Australian city.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
My last active duty military job was at the embassy in Canberra. We did a lot of road trips while we were there and I am not sure what you are after seeing but I can make some good recommendations.

A campervan (there are quite a few options) is a good vehicle to rent. Some of them are pretty small, and make a nice place to stay.

We rented one for my parents and they picked it up in Sydney and made a big loop for about 40 days. It was expensive, but not much more expensive than 40 days worth of hotels.

Cross-state car rentals are tougher to work out.

All of Australia is worth seeing if you want a big adventure.

My parents did Sydney to Darwin, across the top and down to Alice, and then came back across. They ran out of time, as they were only doing 300-400 K per day, and spent a few days in more scenic places like Daintree, Alice, Ayres, and their rental vehicle died in Wagga on the way home, so they had a couple days being stuck in Wagga.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have Bakes take you fishing! But bring a GPS, a headlamp, and some food.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
We drove to Qld and NT last year and I have to report that Muzza is correct. (Fortunately, my wife is one who can just drive all day without fatigue.)

I would offer to show you Melbourne but her at the coffee shop wants to go to North Queensland July/ August

Posts: 4957 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I just looked on Britz, the most expensive camper van you can hire coming in Australian winter (July) is $3000 for the month. Makes a pretty cheap hotel.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Have Bakes take you fishing! But bring a GPS, a headlamp, and some food.

You get lost one time.......

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Foxhunter223
posted Hide Post
It's alright Bakes, Obstropolopoulous had the same problem with 1 goat.

Pete Smiler

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern NSW Australia | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This Tysue is the guy I've been trying to make the trip over for buff with the past six years. Then I've had to cancel out due to health problems. Don't look like anyone wants to join him here. Real shame.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote